Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 519 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
LA26
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I don’t have much faith in either Ridley Scott film as of now, but I think it’ll get an acting nom here and there. Jodie Comer could give a great performance (in fact I’m almost positive she will—she’s fantastic!) but if Michelle Williams couldn’t get in…….I dunno. That said, Al Pacino looks super well-placed for Gucci, regardless of how the film performs. Adam Driver—totally depends on which movie lands, I’d bet Annette as of now.

Somebody in the last thread made a The Lost Daughter and Where’d You Go, Bernadette comparison. That makes…no sense lol. The Lost Daughter is SUCH a dramatic book—a very intense and surprising character study. Bernadette is zany comedy. I actually want to predict Jessie Buckley for The Lost Daughter in Supporting Actress because both the younger-version (Buckley) and the present-day (Colman) parts of the character are integral parts of the book. I have a lot of faith in it because Elena Ferrante literally doesn’t give permission to anybody. I have no idea how Maggie Gyllenhaal got to do it. The only thing stopping the immensely lauded My Brilliant Friend on HBO from getting ALL the awards is because it’s not in English. This is in English, has OLIVIA COLMAN and a fantastic cast apart from her. Yeah, I have plenty of faith in it.

The other thing I feel strongly about is Ann Dowd for Mass. Dowd is just one mini-narrative away from getting an Oscar, because she’s so incredibly respected and even in the less than a decade that she’s had great parts, she’s……overdue. Based on the reviews, she can easily pull a Janney/King/Metcalf and get in even if the film doesn’t. She’s pretty much always fantastic.

On paper, both Lead Actress and Supporting Actress seem immensely competitive to me. It may not be worth it to commit the category fraud that ordinarily happens.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I feel like I’m already going to love The French Dispatch, but will it really hit just as The Grand Budapest Hotel did? PROS: more topical material, inspired by real-life figures featured in the New Yorker, WES ANDERSON. CONS: maybe it holds together less than Grand Budapest Hotel did?

Either way, I know I’m going to love it, just the same as The Power of the Dog. I basically never dislike Jane Campion or Wes Anderson films.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I love Kirsten Dunst. So much I even had a crush on her. Oh my, what it is to be 15 and utterly confused ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I love Kirsten Dunst. So much I even had a crush on her. Oh my, what it is to be 15 and utterly confused ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Ahhhhh, the beauty of community of Dunst fans.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

We also have to consider that All The Money in the World took a significant bullet amidst the Spacey controversy that year which led to Plummer getting the sole nod for saving that film at the last minute.

Yes, but Michelle Williams also had that last-minute pay divide thing that could’ve been a narrative but was not. The film also….was not good. It was super bland. Who feels strongly about All the Money in the World?!

Profile picture
    Croman
    Topics:

The other thing I feel strongly about is Ann Dowd for Mass. Dowd is just one mini-narrative away from getting an Oscar, because she’s so incredibly respected and even in the less than a decade that she’s had great parts, she’s……overdue. Based on the reviews, she can easily pull a Janney/King/Metcalf and get in even if the film doesn’t. She’s pretty much always fantastic.

Let’s hope this materializes! The big question mark will be the category placements as they’re all basically leads. Dowd’s only drawback from winning is if they put Plimpton in supporting too and they cancel each other or Plimpton ends up winning instead (she’s the strongest performance so that would be amazing too)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t feel confident predicting Mass until it gets distribution. If it gets a strong push I do think Dowd can happen.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Croman
    Topics:

I don’t feel confident predicting <em data-mce-fragment=”1″>Mass until it gets distribution. If it gets a strong push I do think Dowd can happen.

It is discouraging that no one has picked it up yet when CODA, Passing, Jockey, etc. all got distributors pretty fast

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

For someone who mentioned up top Bradley is supporting on Soggy Bottom. It seems like he only shot for like 2 weeks.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

For someone who mentioned up top Bradley is supporting on Soggy Bottom. It seems like he only shot for like 2 weeks.

2 weeks?? Lool. I think Benny Safdie has maybe the bigger and baitier supporting role as the closeted politician. Wouldn’t be surprised if he actually gets an eventual nomination instead of Cooper.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

1. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    2. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    3. Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. Martha Plimpton, Mass
    5. Tessa Thompson, Passing

It is discouraging that no one has picked it up yet when CODA, Passing, Jockey, etc. all got distributors pretty fast

Speaking of CODA, the pick-up from Apple meant that I was initially predicting it for BP and Emilia Jones who could take Plimpton’s spot. BUT then I read that Mass has multiple buyers interested. That’s not surprising because it got such good notices. It’s not just CODA, Passing & Jockey. 22 Sundance films got picked up. That’s common—for films where there’s only one buyer interested, it makes sense for deals to close earlier.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/sundance-2021-the-deals-so-far/5156769.article?referrer=RSS

Mass could get picked up for 2022 instead of 2021, but it will get picked up (I haven’t seen it, but it’s gotten strong notices in all the right places). And between CODA and Mass in the acting races, I’d bet on Plimpton & Dowd over Jones & Matlin, though I have to say I’m really excited to see both films.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

2 weeks?? Lool. I think Benny Safdie has maybe the bigger and baitier supporting role as the closeted politician. Wouldn’t be surprised if he actually gets an eventual nomination instead of Cooper.

That would be AMAZING! I put Bradley Cooper in my predix begrudgingly, because I can’t stand him, but I also love PTA and thought “well, even if I don’t like it…”

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

Unless he did lots of exteriors but it seemed like after weeks he was back in Toronto finishing Nightmare Alley

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Let’s hope this materializes! The big question mark will be the category placements as they’re all basically leads. Dowd’s only drawback from winning is if they put Plimpton in supporting too and they cancel each other or Plimpton ends up winning instead (she’s the strongest performance so that would be amazing too)

That’s interesting. Obviously I don’t know what the category placements would be but both Lead Actress & Supporting Actress are jam-packed already, and both may be really competitive. The actress who’ll get dropped down to Supporting is probably the one they think has a better chance of winning?

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Will smith in king richard is my most anticipated male actor performance. I hope he pulls through and gets a nomination

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.