Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 519 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
LA26
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Anya is no Jennifer Lawrence

Yeah, Anya is actually a good actress.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Anya is no Jennifer Lawrence

Jlaw is a movie star. ATJ is leaning more into character actress (outside of Furiosa).

As for Annette, I can’t wait to see Cotillard again.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

diego come on 😭 Jennifer can act circles around her if we talking acting skills Anya nowhere near Ms Lawrence level.

Profile picture
    ZACHARY ROLF
    Topics:

Maybe, after all Helen Mirren got 3 Globe nominations back in 2006 (albeit 2 in the same category).

I hate to say it, but I believe Helen Mirren only had one nom and win at the Globes in 2006 and that was for the Queen.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In a usual year, possibly (it doesn’t have the star power and Netflix). But this year the C/M is so competitive, I see no way he or that film makes it in (unless everything flops).

It does have Disney, will likely have a friendlier release date than a lot of the musicals in contention and as some have said it feels right up the Globes street due to its aesthetic and the fact it’s an adaptation of a beloved British musical?

I won’t be surprised if it ends up being a big player at the Globes. I think provided it isn’t panned it certainly will be a big contender at the BAFTAs.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I hate to say it, but I believe Helen Mirren only had one nom and win at the Globes in 2006 and that was for the Queen.

She also won for Elizabeth I and had a nomination for Prime Suspect: The Final Act.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Jlaw is a movie star. ATJ is leaning more into character actress (outside of Furiosa).

As for Annette, I can’t wait to see Cotillard again.

True but last night In soho does seem like a good movie but not Oscar friendly if it’s was Jennifer Lawrence or the other blonde Margot Robbie I could see it but Anya does not have there level of industry respect.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

True but last night In soho does seem like a good movie but not Oscar friendly if it’s was Jennifer Lawrence or the other blonde Margot Robbie I could see it but Anya does not have there level of industry respect.

Not yet though. If ATJ continues to work with interesting directors and roles she might. Last Night in Soho requires her to perform, not just acting. But I just don’t it see it as a contender.

Profile picture
    Jlawxoxo
    Topics:

I have seen this person hating on Jennifer Lawrence from a long time. please keep your salty opinion with yourself, no need to be a bitch.

Profile picture
    ZACHARY ROLF
    Topics:

She also won for Elizabeth I and had a nomination for Prime Suspect: The Final Act.

You are correct. My bad the website I read only gave me her film nominations. Still I’m curious if someone has had 3 film nominations in one year.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

diego come on 😭 Jennifer can act circles around her if we talking acting skills Anya nowhere near Ms Lawrence level.

Two different actors. I don’t see Jlaw can pull off Thomasin in The Witch and I don’t see Anya can pull of Ree in the Winter’s Bone.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I don’t know whether Annette will be a contender (I am certainly excited for it though) but as others have said pretty much every year we have a strange/controversial film in the mix and considering the pedigree of this one I’m not ready to rule it out yet. That being said the early release date isn’t great.  

Adam Driver’s first Oscar nomination came for a film released in August.

Obviously this is Carax and not Spike Lee, but if he wins at Cannes or the film takes the Palme I can see people talking about it. Remember – the last Palme winner ended up winning BP (though did admittedly have a more awards-friendly release date).

This one has a pair of actors who are very much on the Academy radar to help boost its chances, and I guess Carax could have a bit of a narrative as ‘respected French auteur makes a comeback’ plus it’s his first time working in English.

Who knows. Feel like Cannes reviews will help me decide where this lands.

Profile picture
    Rmcd8
    Topics:

I don’t know whether Annette will be a contender (I am certainly excited for it though) but as others have said pretty much every year we have a strange/controversial film in the mix and considering the pedigree of this one I’m not ready to rule it out yet. That being said the early release date isn’t great. Perhaps Amazon are prioritising Louis Wain? I don’t know. I can see this range from being completely shut out to being a top contender although at the moment I only have Cottillard (in supporting) and the screenplay above the line. Carax could be “the European director who breaks through at the Oscars” this season but I think that will be Claire Denis and that she’ll repeat what Pawlikowski and Vinterberg did and turn a BAFTA nomination into an Oscar nom.

I completely agree – as long as Annette doesn’t bomb (and the trailer looks really great so far – beyond expectations) then Carax is likely to be the Pawlikowski/Vinterberg/Joon Ho foreign film nom in directing next year. It’s a clear pattern for a director slot to go that way now, so if he can get a Cannes award then his trajectory is pretty solid. It’s also likely to be boosted by Adam potentially getting Best Actor at Cannes too (and his and Marion’s profile will help the film overall).

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Picture

Nightmare Alley
    Soggy Bottom
    The Power of the Dog
    Amsterdam
    The French Dispatch
    The Eternals
    West Side Story
    Don’t Look Up
    King Richard
    The Tragedy of Macbeth

(Coda
    The Northman
    In the Heights
    Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
    Annette
    Passing
    Mass
    The Last Duel
    Blonde
    Armageddon Time)

Director

Paul Thomas Anderson, Soggy Bottom
    Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    Guillermo Del Toro, Nightmare Alley
    Chloe Zao, The Eternals

(Halle Berry, Bruised
    Robert Eggers, The Northman
    Adam McKay, Don’t Look Up
    Leos Carax, Annette
    Rebecca Hall, Passing)

Actress

Ana de Armas, Blonde
    Margot Robbie, Amsterdam
    Halle Berry, Bruised
    Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Jennifer Hudson, Respect

(Kristen Stewart, Spencer
    Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Marion Cotillard, Annette
    Jennifer Lawrence, Don’t Look Up
    Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye)

Actor

Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Will Smith, King Richard
    Christian Bale, Amsterdam
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
    Adam Driver, Annette

(Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Andrew Garfield, Instrumental
    Mahershala Ali, Swan Song
    Anthony Ramos, In the Heights)

Supporting Actress

Nicole Kidman, The Northman
    Elisabeth Moss, Next Goal Wins
    Thomasin McKenzie, The Power of the Dog
    Emma Thompson, Matilda
    Jodie Comer, The Last Duel

(Olga Mereditz, In the Heights
    Glenn Close, Swan Song
    Isabelle Huppert, Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
    Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up
    Tiffany Haddish, The Card Counter)

Supporting Actor

Idris Elba, The Harder They Fall
    Jake Gyllenhaal, Fun Home
    Mark Ruffalo, Newsflash
    John David Washington, Amsterdam
    Oscar Isaac, Armageddon Time

(Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom
    Timothee Chalamet, Don’t Look Up
    Adam Driver, The Last Duel
    Brian Tyree Henry, Red, White and Water
    Rami Malek, No Time to Die)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Adam Driver’s first Oscar nomination came for a film released in August.

Yeah I’m not disagreeing with the notion that he can get nominated or the film can rack up nominations (I don’t have him in because I am predicting him for House of Gucci and of course he cannot be nominated for both) but I was more pointing out how unfriendly the release date was.

I agree that if the film does well at Cannes (which I suspect it will) that it does have a shot. I think as Vanessa Kirby’s Volpi Cup win last year showed, even having some sort of festival buzz during the pandemic can really boost your chances.

It will be interesting to see how much release dates play a factor this year with the shortened season. Annette‘s release date of course is friendlier than In the Heights for example.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.