Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 519 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
LA26
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is Marion Cotillard going lead for Annette? She seemed supporting from the trailer.

Either way I really hope this is the vehicle for her return to the Oscars. She should have won for Two Days, One Night and been nominated for Rust and Bone.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Does anyone know if Soho will have an original song? Anya Taylor Joy’s character is a singer

</p>
    Sadly no clue, but ive heard that she is performing an already existing song

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Anya is on the cover of the April issue of Vanity Fair, and the writer revealed that there’s a moment in the film where she sings Petula Clark’s “Downtown.”

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Is Marion Cotillard going lead for Annette? She seemed supporting from the trailer. Either way I really hope this is the vehicle for her return to the Oscars. She should have won for Two Days, One Night and been nominated for Rust and Bone.

She looks Supporting to me too but doubt we’ll know for sure until it comes out. Would love to see her make it in.

Even if Annette doesn’t end up being a big contender, I at least hope it ends up being Driver’s awards season acting vehicle more than his other films, especially since he’s credited as a producer. As others have pointed out, other weird movies have been embraced in recent years like Parasite and The Favourite (does The Shape of Water count as well?)

I completely agree – not only because, as several others have mentioned, this feels more like the type of project an actor like Driver should be rewarded for, but also because someone getting nominated for a Leos Carax movie will encourage other big actors to step out of their box, make bold choices and do things like sticking for years with projects by European auteurs who deserve to have way more films made and seen.

Amazon snapped it up for distribution two years before it was even shot. The trailer has already showed up all over the internet in places you wouldn’t expect (and not just because he gets his abs out/is partially naked in it, though that is partly the reason lol).

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I hope Jennifer Lawrence doesn’t get nominated for Don’t Look Up. Hopefully, other more deserving actresses will get recognized. Lawrence has been low-key for a few years, and I worry the Academy might give her a “welcome back to awards season” nomination. I recently re-watched American Hustle and I still can’t believe she got nominated for that performance. She and Bale weren’t believable as an onscreen couple too.

Profile picture
    Jlawxoxo
    Topics:

Holy shit the amount of people have hate for Jennifer Lawrence? What she ever did to any of you? Y’all don’t even look like award predictors but straight of haters. Seek help.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Hopefully, other more deserving actresses will get recognized.

How can we know who’s deserving when we haven’t seen a single film yet? I get that people stick by their favourites and least favourites rigidly on here but let’s at least see the performances first before we argue about which ones are deserving.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

How can we know who’s deserving when we haven’t seen a single film yet? I get that people stick by their favourites and least favourites rigidly on here but let’s at least see the performances first before we argue about which ones are deserving.

My point was that I hope actresses who have either never won or been nominated get recognized for their work if their performances are deserving. And I don’t dislike Lawrence. I just don’t think she deserved the nominations she got for AH and Joy.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Adam Driver’s first Oscar nomination came for a film released in August. Obviously this is Carax and not Spike Lee, but if he wins at Cannes or the film takes the Palme I can see people talking about it. Remember – the last Palme winner ended up winning BP (though did admittedly have a more awards-friendly release date). This one has a pair of actors who are very much on the Academy radar to help boost its chances, and I guess Carax could have a bit of a narrative as ‘respected French auteur makes a comeback’ plus it’s his first time working in English. Who knows. Feel like Cannes reviews will help me decide where this lands.

Did Amazon give the film a release date? (not the July 6 one). I think you mentioned an autumn release and you being skeptical about that.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Did Amazon give the film a release date? (not the July 6 one). I think you mentioned an autumn release and you being skeptical about that.

Amazon have said ‘late summer’.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Amazon have said ‘late summer’.

Is that a good date in your opinion or should they delay it to fall?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Is that a good date in your opinion or should they delay it to fall?

At first I thought it was a terrible idea but the more I think about it the smarter it is. It’s not unheard of for movies released in summer to break through in awards season (most recently Blackkklansman, released in August, and OUATIH, released in July) and while I’m not saying this is in any way comparable to those movies, the precedent does exist.

What Amazon have done IMO by releasing it in what I am assuming will be August is given it a chance to stand out on its own. If they release this in Oct/Nov when all the big conventional awards stuff comes out it will vanish without trace. The schedule is outrageous and even some of the big movies could struggle for box office. Putting it out in August ,when the schedule is less busy, gives it space to breathe and for potentially more people to see it.

Either that or it’s terrible and they’re dumping it, but I don’t get that vibe. They held on to the distribution rights all this time – they picked it up two years before it was even made – so they must have some degree of confidence.

Also they’ve not mentioned theatrical in their posts so far but looking at the visuals and cinematography I think it will absolutely get a limited theatrical release.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Zhao won’t be nominated for Eternals. If Coogler couldn’t get the nom for quasi-political BP, Zhao certainly isn’t getting in for that thing (yes, I read the confirmed spoiler synopsis and had a PM chat with the person who saw the movie) . The movie may benefit from 10 spots but that’s it (plus techs of course).

Dune will make Top 10. Not sure about other above the line nominations but Picture and techs shouldn’t be too hard.

I’m not sure where confidence in Driver’s Cannes win comes from except that he is a known name that has an awardsy role/movie on paper at least?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Zhao won’t be nominated for Eternals. If Coogler couldn’t get the nom for quasi-political BP, Zhao certainly isn’t getting in for that thing (yes, I read the confirmed spoiler synopsis and had a PM chat with the person who saw the movie) . The movie may benefit from 10 spots but that’s it (plus techs of course. 

Intriguing, very intriguing! I do think the conversation around Eternals has been overblown at least so far by that meme that was doing the rounds on Twitter, but I do expect it will be good.

I’m not sure where confidence in Driver’s Cannes win comes from except that he is a known name that has an awardsy role/movie on paper at least?

Demanding role in a comeback film by a respected French auteur. Also this:

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

At first I thought it was a terrible idea but the more I think about it the smarter it is. It’s not unheard of for movies released in summer to break through in awards season (most recently Blackkklansman, released in August, and OUATIH, released in July) and while I’m not saying this is in any way comparable to those movies, the precedent does exist. What Amazon have done IMO by releasing it in what I am assuming will be August is given it a chance to stand out on its own. If they release this in Oct/Nov when all the big conventional awards stuff comes out it will vanish without trace. The schedule is outrageous and even some of the big movies could struggle for box office. Putting it out in August ,when the schedule is less busy, gives it space to breathe and for potentially more people to see it. Either that or it’s terrible and they’re dumping it, but I don’t get that vibe. They held on to the distribution rights all this time – they picked it up two years before it was even made – so they must have some degree of confidence. Also they’ve not mentioned theatrical in their posts so far but looking at the visuals and cinematography I think it will absolutely get a limited theatrical release.

Your answer reminded me of Focus giving Tom McCarthy’s Stillwater a late July release. Does that mean it’s bad or is it just a case of them not wanting to delay the film anymore when it’s ready?

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.