Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 519 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
LA26
fefface
schmids
  • Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Carax isn’t Oscar-friendly, but his leads are. Al Pacino has already wrapped on House of Gucci, which means they’re into the 1990s and the last part of the timeline already. Can definitely see either that or Spencer being the opening film for Venice.

How do you know Pacino wrapped on HoG? Jared Leto’s role might not be big. He hasn’t been pictured since Como. I wonder if he already wrapped too.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

The project was greenlit after Disney bought Fox. If they were that concerned about the subject matter, they could have just binned it. I’m not too surprised Eternals got the more favourable release date either – they want it to make a shitload of money. Also the schedule generally is so packed for the latter half of next year we have aberrations like the new PTA getting a September release date and Respect coming in August.

Yep, they could have binned it if they wanted too. Deadline first broke the news about TLD in July 2019, and they mentioned that other studios had their sights set on the film if Disney decided not to go forward with it.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

How do you know Pacino wrapped on HoG? Jared Leto’s role might not be big. He hasn’t been pictured since Como. I wonder if he already wrapped too.

Photos of him flying out of Rome on Twitter.

And yeah it seems like Leto might be wrapped, but he did go to Rome and he is still in Italy per his Instagram.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Margot Robbie recently wrapped DOR’s film, and she’s currently prepping for Babylon. Filming starts in June. I wonder which film will earn her an Oscar.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

Margot Robbie recently wrapped DOR’s film, and she’s currently prepping for Babylon. Filming starts in June. I wonder which film will earn her an Oscar.

Babylon is her strongest chance, Chazelle had two films winning acting awards last decade and I’m sure it will be better received than another DOR mess.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

Carax isn’t Oscar-friendly, but his leads are.

Al Pacino has already wrapped on House of Gucci, which means they’re into the 1990s and the last part of the timeline already. Can definitely see either that or Spencer being the opening film for Venice.

Well, that doesn’t really matter, honestly, given that the vision of the director is above all the intentions. If it did, “Dogville”, for example, would have been Oscar friendly.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Well, that doesn’t really matter, honestly, given that the vision of the director is above all the intentions. If it did, “Dogville”, for example, would have been Oscar friendly.

You may be right, and my comment was not intended to be a statement that Annette will be Oscar-friendly. Just that it has a pair of Oscar-friendly leads, which Carax has not had before. It’s also his first work in English.

Of course it’s Carax and it could be completely inaccessible, but if Adam Driver wins Actor at Cannes I can see him getting a bit of momentum.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

How so? Cinematographer is not going to talk crap about the movie he worked on. So whenever so-and-so associated with any movie sings hosannas, big grain of salt. Also, test screening reactions (2 of them who broke NDA) were positive but that’s only 2 people so not a big enough sample to gauge what critical and boxoffice reception will be. And opening against Halloween Kills isn’t a good idea either. I’m surprised that Disney hasn’t moved it from that slot yet especially if it’s (one of) their awards contenders. But maybe they have faith only in Eternals whether real of Feige hubris. Recently leaked Eternals synopsis, whose authenticity was backed by several bloggers, sounds typically generic and exposition-heavy so maybe Zhao’s magic elevated it. Either way, TLD has a terrible release date and Disney chatter seems to be with Eternals despite h-hum sysnopsis (script?). That does not peg TLD as their priority. Perhaps Disney is uncomfortable with the movie’s theme. After all, they were uncomfortable with Jojo Rabbit too. They don’t like controversy.

I hadn’t even read what the cinematographer said until now, and what he said is… OK, I guess. “The Last Duel” has, as I sad:

a) Much more reliable producing team compared to “House of Gucci” (I’m still wondering how MGM will handle this after the 007 fiasco)

b) Much more reliable distribution team compared to “House of Gucci” giving it a leg-up in terms of FYI campaigns.

c) In my opinion, a much more reliable writing team than “House of Gucci”. Matt Damon & Ben Affleck can sit on the corner but Nicole Holofcener, after trying hard, got her Oscar Nomination in her last movie “Can You Ever Forgive Me”, and her screenplays always have the tendency to flourish good performances and here she does have a good cast to work with. If the “Rashomon” storytelling described by
    Dariusz Wolski works, this is a shoo-in.

Those reasons make it obvious for ME, but of course these are very early predictions, this could very well be a new “Exodus” and fall flat in the awards.

The thing that makes me a little nervous about it is the rape aspect of the story. The screenwriter being a woman (let’s be honest that Damon & Affleck are only signing this) is a good sign, but the director being an old white guy may put Holofcener’s text at risk regardless. Well, let’s see.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I think DOR film will flop.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Same.

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

Short clip of Gaga acting in HoG with Jack Huston, they’re going for Italian accents

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

We can only hope

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For some reason I’m gutting weird A Rainy Day in New York vibes from Amsterdam so I’m taking it out of everything above the line in my predictions for now.

Picture

1. The French Dispatch
    2. The Power of the Dog
    3. House of Gucci
    4. Last Night in Soho
    5. Don’t Look Up
    6. The Tragedy of Macbeth
    7. Nightmare Alley
    8. Don’t Worry Darling
    9. Annette
    10. The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

Director

1. Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    2. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    3. Guillermo Del Toro, Nightmare Alley
    4. Edgar Wright, Last Night in Soho
    5. Olivia Wilde, Don’t Worry Darling

Actress

1. Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    2. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    3. Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
    4. Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    5. Florence Pugh, Don’t Worry Darling

Actor

1. Adam Driver, House of Gucci
    2. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    3. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    4. Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
    5. Josh O’Connor, Mothering Sunday

S. Actress

1. Claire Foy, Louis Wain
    2. Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
    3. Diana Rigg, Last Night in Soho
    4. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho
    5. Regina King, The Harder They Fall

S. Actor

1. Al Pacino, House of Gucci
    2. Willem Dafoe, Nightmare Alley
    3. Idris Elba, The Harder They Fall
    4. Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
    5. Richard Jenkins, Nightmare Alley

Original Screenplay

1. Last Night in Soho
    2. The French Dispatch
    3. Don’t Look Up
    4. Louis Wain
    5. Don’t Worry Darling

Best Adapted Screenplay

1. The Power of the Dog
    2. The Tragedy of Macbeth
    3. Nightmare Alley
    4. House of Gucci
    5. Passing

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I could be wrong but I can’t help but feel Ana de Armas might not be a part of the 2022 season because of how competitive the Best Actress category is going to be. Does she have a strong shot at getting in? I think the film could get nominated for makeup and hairstyling.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Underestimating Thomasin McKenzie and Frances Conroy in The Power of the Dog—they’re great supporting parts and if the film hits for BP, Dunst, Cumberbatch, Plemons, there’s really no reason either McKenzie or Conroy couldn’t make it. I say Conroy in addition to McKenzie because based on the book Conroy has the bigger part but I’m pretty sure Campion is making McKenzie’s role bigger than in the book because there’s no way McKenzie would be in a cameo role.

Besides—Thomasin McKenzie seems super ripe for recognition.

Also, this is why Dunst can’t go supporting. Why would they want to put 3 actresses in supporting, especially when Dunst is a co-lead?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.