Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Also, I have insider info that Kirsten Dunst is Supporting in The Power of the Dog. Make of that what you will

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Also, I have insider info that Kirsten Dunst is Supporting in The Power of the Dog. Make of that what you will

Good for Dunst. The Lead Actress category is absurdly stacked this year.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Looks like someone getting pressed. The comparison between John Carpenter and Edgar Wright doesnt make any sense, at all. One is a straight horror filmmaker and One is a director who direct tons of British cult comedies, A modern cult classic (Scott Pilgrim) and an Action flick (which was one step away from Picture nomination if its not for Spacey) and already received craft nominations. I know that this is indeed a Psycho Horror movie, but with Black Swan and Get Out managed to defy Genre bias (although its still debatable whether Black Swan was Psycho-Horror or Psycho-Thriller), starring two Buzzy Ingenues, Flashy-Period drama style and extensive campaign. Everything could happen.

Honestly I think Last Night in Soho at least has a better chance than The Northman. I don’t see how a indie horror filmmaker who hasn’t made a single audience accessible film is going to go to the Oscars (unless this films ends up being different). Even if it is as good as The Witch or The Lighthouse.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Baby Driver probably would’ve been nominated under the 2009-2010 voting system.

Doubt it. I think I, Tonya or The Big Sick would’ve been the 10th nominee that year.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

So Cumberbatch and Plemmons are the leads. I suppose Plemmons will be campaigned as supporting.

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

From Thor: The Dark World director doesn’t give much hope.

I mean there are two possibilities here: Alan Taylor is as bad as he is when making movies and it’s not that good, or Alan Taylor is as brilliant as he is when directing Sopranos and it’s incredible. The fact that that Many Saints’ screenwriter is David “I Reinvented Television” Chase and he’s making a prequel to his own TV classic and not some generic Marvel/Terminator movie gives me hope that this will finally give Taylor a movie that’s as good as most of his TV episodes. I’m not expecting this to be an awards contender but I am ridiculously excited for it as a fan of the show.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Best Picture
    1- The French Dispatch
    2- The Power of the Dog
    3- The Tragedy of MacBeth
    4- Last Night in Soho
    5- House of Gucci
    6- Three Thousand Years of Longing
    7- Passing
    8- In the Heights
    9- Luca
    10- The Northman

Best Director
    1- Wes Anderson – The French Dispatch
    2- George Miller – Three Thousand Years of Longing
    3- Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog
    4- Edgar Wright – Last Night in Soho
    5- Robert Eggers – The Northman

Best Actor
    1- Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of MacBeth
    2- Adam Driver – Annette/House of Gucci
    3- Christian Bale – Canterbury Glass
    4- Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    5- Idris Elba – Three Thousand Years of Longing

Best Actress
    1- Jennifer Hudson – Respect
    2- Margot Robbie – Canterbury Glass
    3- Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog
    4- Lady Gaga – House of Gucci
    5- Tessa Thompson – Passing

Not going to predict Supporting categories for now.

If Being the Ricardos gets ready on time then I expect to be a contender in Picture, Actor, Actress and obviously Screenplay.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Is there an urgency/due narrative in AMPAS to award Ridley Scott an Oscar? Variety published their first blind predictions for 2022, and they have him as a predicted BP winner for HoG: https://variety.com/2021/film/awards/oscars-2022-predictions-year-in-advance-1234963513/

Profile picture
    Matthew Porter
    Topics:

Is there an urgency/due narrative in AMPAS to award Ridley Scott an Oscar? Variety published their first blind predictions for 2022, and they have him as a predicted BP winner for HoG: https://variety.com/2021/film/awards/oscars-2022-predictions-year-in-advance-1234963513/

Not sure, but be prepared for a lot of things like this – anything that has Gaga/her movie doing well is likely stated just to get clicks and attention from her fans. Same thing happened with ASIB.

As for HoG, it’s far too early to tell – about it, or  really any movie in contention.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Well, if Gucci is decent enought it could be huge. How many millions of likes has now that Driver-Gaga photo on Instagram?

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

That would be disappointing, but at the same time, it would make it easier for her to breakthrough into the Oscars

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho may be awards friendly than you think with the 1917 screenplay co-writer at the helm.

Loool, the worst part of 1917 was literally the screenplay, so i wouldn’t count on it.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Best Actress 1- Jennifer Hudson – Respect 2- Margot Robbie – Canterbury Glass 3- Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog 4- Lady Gaga – House of Gucci 5- Tessa Thompson – Passing

That performance isn’t anything like what the Academy has nominated before. Even then, she’s not a veteran in a Best Picture potential winner, as I doubt Passing will be nominated. If Passing is nominated anywhere, I say Screenplay or a craft.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Wow. Alright. Dunst has been such a leading force in cinema for so long that it makes me disappointed she’ll probably get her Oscar in supporting, but whatever makes it easier. I was having trouble deciding who the supporting frontrunner for the win would be, but I guess the question’s been answered.

Now I’m really hoping Thomasin McKenzie can break through in lead for Last Night in Soho.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

That’s so weird because I got told the opposite lol i.e. that she’s Lead. Honestly I’d be less surprised if it was Supporting because there is only one lead in the book, and that’s Cumberbatch’s character, but apparently because of script changes & some character removals, Dunst was considered lead. And the script changes make total sense to me because knowing it’s Jane Campion, she’ll want to make it as much about Cumberbatch vs. Dunst (she’s never made a film without a female lead, has she?)

It’s highly possible that watching the movie it may seem like a borderline case, and obviously we have no idea who the studio will put as Lead or Supporting. But even if she isn’t “Lead”, I don’t know why they’d want her competing against her co-stars Thomasin McKenzie and Frances Conroy who are in all likelihood giving 100% supporting performances (not cameos).

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.