Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The book also doesn’t sound like something that would make an Oscar-friendly movie just based on the plot description. But again, maybe I’m wrong.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    SoniNon
    Topics:

You’re right. I think it will get a cinematography nom at the Oscars and that’s it. It’s probably too niche.

The budget is estimated to be $40-60 million. No one is throwing that at something “too niche.”

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

A lot of people state The Northman‘s all star cast is why Eggers will make the film more accessible but I don’t think that’s a compelling case. Kidman, Skarsgard, and Dafoe have all starred in Lars Von Trier films, the epitome of inaccessible controversial filmmaking. They are used to the strangeness and auteur visions of these type of directors. Now if Renee Zellweger or Christian Bale was in the film then I would think The Northman will most likely be accessible.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The budget is estimated to be $40-60 million. No one is throwing that at something “too niche.”

Ad Astra had a budget of $80-100 million.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

The Northman having such a high budget makes me a little more optimistic about its chances. The comparisons to The Lighthouse need to stop. The Lighthouse’s budget was 4 million and it was a horror film. The Northman is not that.

If Eggers manages to get a high Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic score as he did with his past films then The Northman is likely touching the Oscars.

This has been said many times but this film is more like The Revenant/Gladiator than it is The Lighthouse/The Witch.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Ad Astra had a budget of $80-100 million.

Ad Astra was intended to be an Oscar contender tho. It just flopped.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The Northman having such a high budget makes me a little more optimistic about its chances. The comparisons to The Lighthouse need to stop. The Lighthouse’s budget was 4 million and it was a horror film. The Northman is not that. If Eggers manages to get a high Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic score as he did with his past films then The Northman is likely touching the Oscars. This has been said many times but this film is more like The Revenant/Gladiator than it is The Lighthouse/The Witch.

I definitely think it’s a crafts contender, but I’m not quite sure about Picture just yet. Need to see a trailer

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I agree the comparisons of The Northman to Egger’s previous horror films aren’t really fair. The Northman sounds more like a historical epic. That being said I expect a lot of grim violence and blood splatter to perpetuate throughout the film that will be a turn off to AMPAS. Eggers really commits to authenticity of the source material so expect the cast to speak in thick heavy Icelandic accents that will require subtitles. I’m also bit concerned how AMPAS will respond to 3 historical dramas: The Tragedy of Macbeth, The Northman, and <i>The Last Duel</i>. One of them is bound to be left out.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ad Astra was intended to be an Oscar contender tho. It just flopped.

Granted my point of my response to the user was more that just because a genre film has a high budget and an A lister involved, it doesn’t mean it’s going to automatically be an Oscar contender.

The comparisons to The Lighthouse need to stop.

I understand your frustration here but until we see a trailer or the film’s reactions from critics and audiences, all one can base their predictions on a film is the past performance of the director’s previous film.

I do agree that if it does well with audiences and critics it has a strong chance but until then I see no reason why one cannot be sceptical (I say this as someone who thought The Lighthouse should have been an across the board contender and who has The Northman as one of their most anticipated films of this season).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m also bit concerned how AMPAS will respond to 3 historical dramas: The Tragedy of Macbeth, The Northman, and <i>The Last Duel</i>.

This is also why I’m sceptical. I guess it could have a significant popularity with the zeitgeist but the film’s plot doesn’t seem as baity as a lot of the others in contention this year and it doesn’t seem to have a social factor like The Last Duel will probably have.

Profile picture
    Louis Cypher
    Topics:

You’re picking Ridley Scott’s stinkers and judging his career because of them. His biggest problem is ironically his productivity. You could pick Spielberg or Coppola apart the same way you did with Scott. They all have bad apples.

With Gucci’s hype it’s less about Scott’s previous snubs and more that he has a great story, an insane cast, and a budget that most filmmakers don’t get to play with outside of Marvel/DC.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Judging from The Northman’s producers, cast and budget, it should be obvious that it’s going to be more accessible than Eggers’ other films. Sure, organizations like SAG may not touch the film but I can see The Academy having a liking to it, especially if it’s like films like The Revenant etc.

Profile picture
    bellajoe
    Topics:

I think we should just remain skeptical but hopeful for The Northman. Same way I am viewing Anette. Both are from very well respected indie auteurs that could and should break in the oscar race, but likely will not.

Thoughts on the prospects of ‘Don’t Worry Darling’? I just rewatched Booksmart and would love to see Olivia Wilde get award recognition.

FYC Emmys 2021:
    Drama Series: Pose
    Drama Actress: MJ Rodriguez (Pose)
    Drama Supporting Actress: Emerald Fennell (The Crown)
    Limited Actress: Elizabeth Olsen (WandaVision) Zendaya (Euphoria)
    Limited Supporting Actress: Kathryn Hahn (WandaVision,) Hunter Schaffer (Euphoria)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think we should just remain skeptical but hopeful for The Northman. Same way I am viewing Anette. Both are from very well respected indie auteurs that could and should break in the oscar race, but likely will not. Thoughts on the prospects of ‘Don’t Worry Darling’? I just rewatched Booksmart and would love to see Olivia Wilde get award recognition.

I think this could be the Promising Young Woman of this season and Olivia could be the Fennell of this season. Like Fennell, Wilde has been generating a lot of buzz and she has a Marvel/Sony movie (Spider Woman) coming too.

I just don’t know if the Academy will go for Don’t Worry Darling AND Last Night in Soho.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Olivia Wilde not writing Don’t Worry Darling has me skeptical. It has 3 writers and one of the writers wrote Titanic II and Chernobyl Diaries.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.