Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Is Being the Ricardos coming this season? If so then that will probably be Amazon’s main push and not Annette or The Electrical Life of Louis Wain.

Since it’s only just filming I’m assuming it’s likely coming out next year.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Since it’s only just filming I’m assuming it’s likely coming out next year.

Ah ok. I’ve seen it in some pundit’s predictions already so I was curious haha.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I feel like no actor can win an Oscar in an Aaorn Sorkin film not even Kidman. His dialogue is too cold and snarky that only works for people like Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Is PTA’s new film really called…”Soggy Bottom”?

Profile picture
    Stefglory
    Topics:

Top Gun coming for No Time To Die’s original song wig!

As it should. That Billie Eilish song is a load of 💩. I thought it was a joke when someone said it was the new Bond song.

Profile picture
    Stefglory
    Topics:

Another thing to keep in mind about 2022: viewership. I don’t think the Academy can afford the same kinds of numbers next year. Regardless of what you thought of this year’s edition, the numbers were appalling. Having one or two huge blockbuster movies nominated, with all the razzmatazz that it involves, immediately brings eyes to the event. That’s just a fact.

Well if all goes to plan they will have Gaga bringing in general star power and Billie E (ugh) will bring the tweenies. If they could work in BTS into something they’d be set.

They might even have Harry Styles as a plus one with Wilde 😂

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I don’t think Nightmare Alley will do well awards season wise.
    Lots of people are predicting because of Del Toro’s hype post Shape of Water, but first of all, that movie didn’t age greatly compared to the other films of that same year, and second of all, Del Toro is a wildly inconsistent director, much like Ridley Scott, a mixed bag.

Profile picture
    Anna Artdeco
    Topics:

Another thing to keep in mind about 2022: viewership.

I don’t think the Academy can afford the same kinds of numbers next year. Regardless of what you thought of this year’s edition, the numbers were appalling.

Having one or two huge blockbuster movies nominated, with all the razzmatazz that it involves, immediately brings eyes to the event. That’s just a fact.

Well, Gaga is coming.

And all award shows had a record low viewership because of the pandemic so ..

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Is PTA’s new film really called…”Soggy Bottom”?

I think that’s still just its working title, probably a joke one too imo. I suspect it’ll end up getting changed, iirc Phantom Thread didn’t have its name until quite late in the day. It was definitely called Untitled PTA Project for a long time. I also distinctly remember reading a while back that Soggy Bottom was just the working title for now.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I don’t think Nightmare Alley will do well awards season wise. Lots of people are predicting because of Del Toro’s hype post Shape of Water, but first of all, that movie didn’t age greatly compared to the other films of that same year, and second of all, Del Toro is a wildly inconsistent director, much like Ridley Scott, a mixed bag.

Of course this is possible, but I think people’s confidence in it is warranted and goes deeper than Del Toro being the director. He’s a big selling point after his recent wins, of course, but the cast is also really strong and it looks poised to be a big player for Searchlight, who held off on releasing it this year, I assume in part because they expect it to do well in cinemas and with audiences.

Searchlight generally is a sign of incredibly strong prospects. They’ve won BP 4 times in the last decade and had half a dozen or so big players on top of that. They’re at the level where I’d just look at their awards season slate and predict the films for BP, tbh.

It also looks like it could be a big player below the line with the tech aspects all seeming integral to the film. Desplat is also doing the score, so that’s a safe prediction. Right now it’s more of a reach for me to say it does poorly than to say it gets eight to ten noms, but it’ll be intriguing to see how it fares.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

This dark comedy centers on a fashion model celebrity couple (Harry Dickinson and Charlbi Dean) who are invited on a luxury cruise for the super-rich. The yacht –whose captain is a rabid Marxist (Woody   Harrelson)– sinks, leaving the duo stranded on a desert island with a group of billionaire jetsetters and a cleaning lady, with the ensuing fight for survival turning the pre-existing hierarchy upside down and changing the dynamics of the group: the cleaning lady rises to the top of the food chain as she is the only one who knows how to cook.

Triangle of Sadness, the new film from the director of The Square is in talks to go to Cannes.

Ruben Östlund is another director that could pull a Vinterberg. The Academy is familiar with his work, he is beloved by his European peers and this movie looks very american based on the plot, just like Another Round and Cold War (it helps that Triangle of Sadness is in English and features an American actor) Woody Harrelson also could break in the Best Actor race.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I think if you’re gonna predict Olivia Wilde or Halle Berry to come anywhere near Director nominations, that’s not a very good idea. As we have seen with Ben Affleck, Bradley Cooper, and even Regina King, the directors’ branch is not a fan of actor-directors. Yes, I know they nominated Emerald Fennell last year, as well as Jordan Peele, Greta Gerwig, and M*l G*bs*n, but the latter was already established as a director by 2016, and the former three were not known as actors, at least not to the branch (except maybe Jordan Peele). Wilde and Berry are already known as actors, so I highly doubt this cliquey ass group of people is gonna be willing to go for them.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think if you’re gonna predict Olivia Wilde or Halle Berry to come anywhere near Director nominations, that’s not a very good idea. As we have seen with Ben Affleck, Bradley Cooper, and even Regina King, the directors’ branch is not a fan of actor-directors. Yes, I know they nominated Emerald Fennell last year, as well as Jordan Peele, Greta Gerwig, and M*l G*bs*n, but the latter was already established as a director by 2016, and the former three were not known as actors, at least not to the branch (except maybe Jordan Peele). Wilde and Berry are already known as actors, so I highly doubt this cliquey ass group of people is gonna be willing to go for them.

Greta Gerwig was nominated for a Golden Globes as an actress.

It’s not that they don’t like actors turned directors. Otherwise Clint Eastwood wouldn’t be a two time winner and a four time nominee. The big question is if the direction is auteur or not, if lacks identity and if is too dependent on Screenplay.

Affleck, Cooper and Regina King are mediocre directors. Cooper and King still can overcome this and get better, but we’ve seen with Sorkin that it’s not easy to become a good auteur director.

These three couldn’t direct the hypnosis scene in Get Out in a million years.

Olivia Wilde already showed us with Booksmart what she can do. I don’t know about Halle Berry, though.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

It’s not that they don’t like actors turned directors. Otherwise Clint Eastwood wouldn’t be a two time winner and a four time nominee. The big question is if the direction is auteur or not, if lacks identity and if is too dependent on Screenplay.

Fair, I guess, but how many people knew what Frances Ha was despite Gerwig getting the Globe nomination?

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I don’t think Nightmare Alley will do well awards season wise. Lots of people are predicting because of Del Toro’s hype post Shape of Water, but first of all, that movie didn’t age greatly compared to the other films of that same year, and second of all, Del Toro is a wildly inconsistent director, much like Ridley Scott, a mixed bag.

All I care about is Toni Collette.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.