Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Why do some people think Don’t Worry Darling is going to be a big contender? Booksmart was universally acclaimed, but the only major nominations it got was a Golden Globe nomination for Beanie Feldstein, a WGA nomination, and a BAFTA nomination for best original screenplay.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Tbf, three of this year’s Director nominees had no huge hits before their films broke out into the Oscar race. Now, obviously, you could say that they wouldn’t have made as big of a dent as they did in a normal year (I don’t fully agree with that tho), but it still stands that your previous body of work doesn’t have to be recognized by the industry in some capacity in order to get Oscars love.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Why do some people think Don’t Worry Darling is going to be a big contender? Booksmart was universally acclaimed, but the only major nominations it got was a Golden Globe nomination for Beanie Feldstein, a WGA nomination, and a BAFTA nomination for best original screenplay.

Booksmart was a May comedy, released as counter-programming to Avengers, by a studio that’s was nearly bankrupt (are bankrupt?).

It’s amazing how far it actually did get in that season. Promising Young Woman would’ve likely had the same performance in a non-covid year if it still had its original April release date.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

and the former three were not known as actors, at least not to the branch (except maybe Jordan Peele).

Even Peele was always overlooked as an actor on his own show (where he’s in the titular role), by his co-star, whom regularly had the more popular sketches and Emmy attention.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Colman Domingo (Zola)

I think Colman Domingo is getting a Oscar nomination sometime in the next five years or so, but I don’t think it’ll be for Zola.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I think some forget that PYW benefited from empty field. Unlike Nomadland/Zhao/McDormand/Hopkins who were always in conversation to get nominated/win due to the baitiness of their movies/roles, well before movies started to get delayed to 2021, some other movies and performers very likely would have been lost in the shuffle if more prominent movies kept their dates.

So for genre movie like Don’t Worry Darling, empty year would be a blessing but this year will have a number of high profile genre movies vying for attention. So pretty cutthroat.

It could become the feminist Get Out for all we know but it’s far from a sure thing. A lot depends on its inside comeptition (how many movies the studio is campaigning and what they are, stronger or weaker) and doubtful all other genre movies will completely tank.

Finally, as others said already, Directors Brach doesn’t hand out nominations to actor-directors like candies. If they are impressed you are in if not, better luck next time. Oscars 2021 had barren field and still one of two actor-directors (Regina King) missed out.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Can the policeman be the new call me by your name awards wise?

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

It has the pedigree behind it. Pugh, coming off her first Oscar nomination in the lead role, Matthew Libatique previously nominated for cinematography in a similar genre with Black Swan, Arianne Phillips doing costuming, Katie Silberman rewriting the script after the acclaim of Booksmart, and it helps to have an incredibly famous popstar like Styles involved to push the box office numbers. It could still flop given the genre bias against it and it depends on if it’s similarly received to PYW and Get Out in its social commentary but I wouldn’t rule it out.

It will be interesting to see how much Last Night in Soho and Don’t Worry Darling fare in awards contention. It could be a similar situation where In The Heights and West Side Story are pit against each other this year

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

I’m not expecting The Many Saints of Newark to be a big awards contender, but does anyone think we should be paying attention to Vera Farmiga?
    She’s a universally well liked actor who only has 1 Oscar nomination from 10 years ago, she’ll be just coming off of the long awaited new installment of her beloved horror franchise, and Livia Soprano is a character who just gives an actor SO much to work with. I feel like if the film’s as good as I’m expecting and she’s great in it, Farmiga might be able to get into Supporting Actress and be the film’s sole nominee. Honestly, if Many Saints was being released as a TV movie I’d be willing to bet she’d take home the Emmy.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’m not expecting The Many Saints of Newark to be a big awards contender, but does anyone think we should be paying attention to Vera Farmiga? She’s a universally well liked actor who only has 1 Oscar nomination from 10 years ago, she’ll be just coming off of the long awaited new installment of her beloved horror franchise, and Livia Soprano is a character who just gives an actor SO much to work with. I feel like if the film’s as good as I’m expecting and she’s great in it, Farmiga might be able to get into Supporting Actress and be the film’s sole nominee. Honestly, if Many Saints was being released as a TV movie I’d be willing to bet she’d take home the Emmy.

Not sure what to make of Many Saints. We don’t have much of a precedent for movies like it in an awards season, do we? Not an Oscars season anyway. I feel like its ties to a TV series will give it a bit of an uphill climb. I can’t see it really breaking out into being an Oscars contender right now as a result of that. I don’t think the simultaneous HBO Max release will help its claim that it isn’t a TV movie either.

As for Farmiga, I think she’ll suffer due to the movie not breaking into the awards discussion.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

People should look at the history of the Don’t Worry Darling screenwriters histories before predicting it going anywhere.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

People should look at the history of the Don’t Worry Darling screenwriters histories before predicting it going anywhere.

As far as I’m aware, Katie Silberman has done a lot of the writing/ re-writing on that one and her track record is better than the other writers. Also it’s not unheard of for writers attached to bad movies to produce great work once they’re given a bit more free rein. I also doubt a cast and crew as in demand as Styles, Pugh, Wilde, Libatique (pre-court case), etc. would attach themselves to an awful script.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

As far as I’m aware, Katie Silberman has done a lot of the writing/ re-writing on that one and her track record is better than the other writers. Also it’s not unheard of for writers attached to bad movies to produce great work once they’re given a bit more free rein. I also doubt a cast and crew as in demand as Styles, Pugh, Wilde, Libatique (pre-court case), etc. would attach themselves to an awful script.

That’s good to hear Silberman did a lot of rewrites but I’m still skeptical of the two writers in the project who wrote Titanic II.

Profile picture
    Chocoesq
    Topics:

After seeing the trailer and script spoilers for Annette, I’m fairly confident in ruling it out of any wins / major nominations other than maybe an acting nomination for Driver.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

After seeing the trailer and script spoilers for Annette, I’m fairly confident in ruling it out of any wins / major nominations other than maybe an acting nomination for Driver.

What about an actress nomination for Cotillard? The Academy fairly likes her and this role seems quite baity even if the film is inaccessible.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.