Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I understand where the comparisons between The Northman and The Revenant come from but the latter was the next project from an incumbent Academy Award winner and starred an “overdue” Leonardo DiCaprio.

I am not sure how the above the line branches (it’s getting something below the line – that I’m sure of) are going to respond to the violent nature of The Northman without it having that appealing Innaritu/DiCaprio combo.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/robert-eggers-viking-thriller-the-northman-enormous-battle-scenes-2906326

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

And then that Jared Leto comic book movie gets nominated in every category…

FYC Emmys: Ted Lasso (all categories), Wandavision (all categories), The Mandalorian (Best Drama Series), Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest), Maya Erksine (Pen15), Michaela Coel (I May Destroy You), Alan Tudyk (Resident Alien), Antony Starr (The Boys), Daniel Brühl (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), Ethan Hawke (The Good Lord Bird), Invincible (Animated Program)

Profile picture
    George Papakostas
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett getting both acting nominations ( leading for NIghtmare Alley and supporting for Don’t Look Up ) is a strong possibility, don’t you think? I Know she has pulled this off back in 2007 but I can see her as the first actor/actress ever to achieve this again!

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho seems so overrated already, can’t see it going much beyond techs. Already mourning for Toni Collette, she may sweep critics again and be snubbed due to genre bias. The Academy doesn’t only need to diversify membership based on race but also diversity attitudes to genre.

There’s a number of reasons why Last Night in Soho is being overhyped that’s why it is being predicted to do well.

As for Toni Collette, she has a pretty good chance because it is Del Toro and The Shape of Water got Richard Jenkins and Octavia Spencer supporting nominations and their roles are not even that baity. Her character in Nightmare Alley is probably similar to Hereditary/The Sixth Sense where she will deal with loss with a good amount hysterics and melodrama.

I don’t if we can classify Nightmare Alley solely into the horror genre if that’s what you are referring by genre bias although I agree the Academy should embrace the horror/thriller genre more often.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If we end up having a head to head in Screenplay between Last Night in Soho and The French Dispatch, I can see Last Night in Soho lose the Screenplay Globe to The French Dispatch but then come up and win WGA and BAFTA. A bit like Promising Young Woman and Parasite.

It would follow those two films’ trajectory of the most original film winning

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett getting both acting nominations ( leading for NIghtmare Alley and supporting for Don’t Look Up ) is a strong possibility, don’t you think? I Know she has pulled this off back in 2007 but I can see her as the first actor/actress ever to achieve this again!

I would say Streep has a better chance being the supporting nod in Don’t Look Up. I imagine the Academy is dying to recognize Streep again. I currently have Blanchett in lead for Nightmare Alley.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’ve read the screenplay to Don’t Look Up, and it’s horrible. This is coming from someone who actually liked Vice. I suggest that it’s not as strong a contender as we think it is…

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Papakostas
    Topics:

Also possible Streep VS Blanchett in the same Category for the same movie ! That would be a dream come true..does anybody know if they share any scenes by the way?
    BAck to my point, I can totally see Blanchett pulling off double nominations for Alley and DLU

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Also possible Streep VS Blanchett in the same Category for the same movie ! That would be a dream come true..does anybody know if they share any scenes by the way? BAck to my point, I can totally see Blanchett pulling off double nominations for Alley and DLU

If Meryl Streep plays the character I think she plays, then I don’t think she gets nominated. That character doesn’t have much to do

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’ve read the screenplay to Don’t Look Up, and it’s horrible. This is coming from someone who actually liked Vice. I suggest that it’s not as strong a contender as we think it is…

My biggest hope is Don’t Look Up flopping but I heard there was major revisions done to the script. But yes I agree people are overestimating Don’t Look Up. Vice and The Big Short were based off real people and events so they were baity in principle. Don’t Look Up looks like a straight disaster comedy and McKay is not that good of a comedic writer.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah same.

The way Lawrence’s character was written in that draft…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

Also possible Streep VS Blanchett in the same Category for the same movie ! That would be a dream come true..does anybody know if they share any scenes by the way?
    BAck to my point, I can totally see Blanchett pulling off double nominations for Alley and DLU

Not for Don’t Look Up.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The way Lawrence’s character was written in that draft…

plssssssss

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I don’t think the rewrites will be enough to save Don’t Look Up. Vice was pretty divisive already and it was a less ambitious project.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I only have Don’t Look Up as a placeholder for now but I think what’s really worth mentioning is the film’s poor timing. A satire with A listers about a global disaster isn’t going to go down well with audiences.

Case in point look at Death to 2020.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.