Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 508 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Hadn’t realized that Spencer has Claire Mathon (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) as cinematographer and Jonny Greenwood (Phantom Thread) doing the score. The screenwriter’s past work has me a little worried, but if the film is good, it could be a contender in more categories than we’re thinking.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Eternals, it probably has more of a chance of a razzie nomination than a Best Picture nom. 

Nope the other way around. Marvel hasn’t gotten Razzie for their turds because critics never let Marvel go rotten on RT. So yes, they have some really bad movies (not just that Hulk movie that fans like to pretend is the only misfure)  but pssst no one will ever know cause they all managed at least 65%. So Oscar is far more likely and they already got one nom. Oscar 1, Razzie 0. Odds are never in Razzie’s favor.

There are worse predictions. It feels like half of Hollywood works for Marvel/Disney now, especially anyone that wants a big paycheck. Though Feige might need to find a better campaign narrative then “Chloe is so brilliant she even did some takes outside!”

Bingo. That over half of Hollywood works for them is why Oscar is more likely than Razzie in the future. If you look at awards bodies that gave them thumbs up, PGA (nom), SAG-AFTRA (win), AMPAS (nom) are nothing to sneeze at.  They took Marvel seriously once, they will again. Perhaps not Eternals but door is open.

I agree that campaign narrative built around Zhao is BS. They won’t nominate her again for this. They know it’s a paycheck job no matter how well it turns out and a waste of nomination. Unless Feige is really delulu that she could win  a la Inarritu, he’s very likely just trying to make the movie sound more serious and relevant. But funny thing is, this Eternals hype coming from him gotta make one worder what’s wrong with Black Widow and Shang-chi, too movies coming out before Eternals yet getting no praise from the boss nor meme insider praise. The focus on propping the later release at the expense of the earler ones is amusing.

Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Will Smith was the star of two of the biggest hits of 2019 and 2020, in what way is he washed up? And “the Mummy flop” made $400M+ despite being awful. Only 3 DiCaprio movies in the 21st Century have made more than that. The numbers do not support the idea that DiCaprio is the “only” movie star, the other 2 I mentioned regularly outgross him.

Eh Cruise had 4 commercial disappointments in the last decade(Knight and Day, Jack Reacher 2, Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow). Its pretty clear he’s no longer the Tom Cruise of 90s or early 2000s and he’s not on the level of Dicaprio of who’s had like only one flop in since Titanic, J. Edgar.

Will Smith, I’ll say is still as big a draw as he was because he makes movies hits that no else could, Like Bad Boys 3. Then Aladdin grossing 1B, Bright becoming a Netflix hit, and even mediocre movies like Nocturnal Beauty and Concussion earning some money because of him.

But yeah The Rock is the biggest star in the world right now, even bigger than Dicaprio. He’s not a very good actor, but the numbers his movies put up is just crazy.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Guild predix.

DIRECTORS GUILD OF AMERICA
    FEATURE FILM:
    ***Wes Anderson for The French Dispatch
    Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog
    Park Chan-wook for Decision to Leave
    Guillermo del Toro for Nightmare Alley
    Edgar Wright for Last Night in Soho

FIRST-TIME FEATURE FILM:
    Jonathan Butterell for Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
    Rebecca Hall for Passing
    Amy Koppelman for A Mouthful of Air
    Lin-Manuel Miranda for Tick, Tick… Boom!
    ***Jeymes Samuel for The Harder They Fall

WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA
    ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    The Card Counter
    The French Dispatch
    ***Last Night in Soho
    A Mouthful of Air
    Soggy Bottom

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    CODA
    The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    Nightmare Alley
    ***The Power of the Dog
    The Tragedy of Macbeth

PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA
    PICTURE:
    Decision to Leave
    Eternals
    The French Dispatch
    The Harder They Fall
    House of Gucci
    In the Heights
    Last Night in Soho
    Nightmare Alley
    ***The Power of the Dog
    The Tragedy of Macbeth

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can see A Mouthful of Air have a similar trajectory to Can You Ever Forgive Me? and be an acting + screenplay player (although I think only Seyfried stands a shot a nomination when it comes to acting).

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

People keep saying Nightmare Alley will be the Irishman of the season, but I feel like The Tragedy of Macbeth is the one more likely to follow that trajectory.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

People keep saying Nightmare Alley will be the Irishman of the season, but I feel like The Tragedy of Macbeth is the one more likely to follow that trajectory.

I actually think Nightmare Alley will be the First Man of the season.

Profile picture
    Miguel Alves
    Topics:

I think Eternals has a big of a shot at a nom for BP as Black Panther and Joker had. It is known that this isnt a hire to direct only. Chloe was the one that approached Marvel with a Eternals pitch and Feige is saying that thay are letting Chloe do her own thing. I think this could be surprising. Yall are just to scared that another comic book movie might be a big contender yet again and it is hilarious. I think if Marvel simply hired Chloe to direct a screenplay from someone it wouldnt have any chance. But Chloe was the one who approached with a pitch. So lets see

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Eternals will be another MCU movie. I don’t see it being an awards contender.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Will Smith was the star of two of the biggest hits of 2019 and 2020, in what way is he washed up? And “the Mummy flop” made $400M+ despite being awful. Only 3 DiCaprio movies in the 21st Century have made more than that. The numbers do not support the idea that DiCaprio is the “only” movie star, the other 2 I mentioned regularly outgross him.

DiCaprio has made Oscar bait movies for more than a decade, I don’t consider him a bigger movie star than Will Smith

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

Good reminding that this movie also has Finn Wittrock as the husband, Paul Giamatti as the doctor (??) and Amy Irving as the mother. My fear is that it’s seen as the Rachel Getting Married indie-type that recognizes the ensemble but rewards only the lead.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

I’m kind of starting to think Joe Wright’s Cyrano will be the musical that gets nominated this year. It’s coming out on Christmas Day and not half a year before the Oscars (advantage over In the Heights), it doesn’t seem unconventional or risky at all (advantage over Annette), it’s from a director that the Academy loves, it has a talented and well liked cast, none of whom have been involved in scandals that could overshadow the film itself (advantage over West Side Story), and it just seems like the type of well made historical biopic that the Academy would go for. Honestly, Peter Dinklage could end up with his first Oscar nod.

I would love for Peter Dinklage to be nominated, but it’s worth pointing out that although not as risky as Annette, this is an adaptation of an artsy Off-Broadway musical also starring Dinklage and Bennett.

When I saw that Joe Wright was directing I almost gagged because I can’t picture him even attending this event. At first I thought this was an adaptation of a British production from 2019/2020 that starred James McAvoy and won the Olivier, but that was even more artsy and inaccessible.

Also, in that production Haley Bennett was the one with the most praise. I’m predicting it in the crafts awards because it’s more or less the same team from Mr. Turner.

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

I would love for Peter Dinklage to be nominated, but it’s worth pointing out that although not as risky as Annette, this is an adaptation of an artsy Off-Broadway musical also starring Dinklage and Bennett.

When I saw that Joe Wright was directing I almost gagged because I can’t picture him even attending this event. At first I thought this was an adaptation of a British production from 2019/2020 that starred James McAvoy and won the Olivier, but that was even more artsy and inaccessible.

Also, in that production Haley Bennett was the one with the most praise. I’m predicting it in the crafts awards because it’s more or less the same team from Mr. Turner.

Ah right thanks, I’m not familiar with the play. Based on the very brief reading I did, I assumed it was a traditional, entertaining musical biopic but I’m excited to hear it’s more artsy. Its Christmas release date could do a lot for it though, and yeah I think it’ll definitely get nominated in Production/Costume Design and some other craft categories.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

if eternals is a raved blockbuster, perhaps. bp is mcu’s only raved film so far.

Exactly, I think that if Eternals gets a 85+ Metascore (Black Panther has an 88) it has a good chance of getting a BP nom.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.