Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
LA26
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

No one is more delulu than Midsomar stans I swear. That movie did ZILCH ZERO ZIP for Pugh’s Oscar nom. Nobody saw it, nobody cared for it. It was irrelevant. Ex Machina got Vikander a Globe nom and it was a SFX player. Midsomar was ignored. It got worse reviews than Herditary, worse boxoffice, worse reception by Asteroids, worse everything. Pugh Oscar nom is 100% Little Women. Eveyrone knew that BAFTA would come to her aid cause she’s English and her role was right up their alley – a period drama based on a literary clasic. That’s all that is.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

The person who claims to have read the script apparently also said the movie is ‘mostly about Maurizio’ so I doubt it means Patrizia gets more prominence than him.

That would seem to be confirmation then (if this person has in fact read the script) that there’s no way Driver goes Supporting.

With regard to the narration it is definitely one of those things that can go either way, but Dariusz Wolski did say it was a ‘high end soap opera’ and I can see it working for a film that leans into that over-the-top, campy glamour that the story seems to have.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I’m not surprised that HoG is structured like WOWS with breaking the 4th wall. It always stike me as the kind of material that would be made in that manner.  Sounds more interesting now than when it seemed like The Aviator type of thing.

Profile picture
    Rowan
    Topics:

Not sure how it will pan out but I think the clips we’ve seen make a lot more sense if the vibe of the movie is over-the-top and silly (they’re definitely making fun of these people). The idea kind of reminds me of I, Tonya more than Wolf of Wall Street. It could end up good or bad, but I don’t hate the concept.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

That would seem to be confirmation then (if this person has in fact read the script) that there’s no way Driver goes Supporting.  

It was never very likely.

Not sure how it will pan out but I think the clips we’ve seen make a lot more sense if the vibe of the movie is over-the-top and silly (they’re definitely making fun of these people). The idea kind of reminds me of I, Tonya more than Wolf of Wall Street. It could end up good or bad, but I don’t hate the concept.

Yeah there’s no way to really tell this story other than to lean in to the camp of it all. Like if they played it completely straight, some of the more outrageous events that happen would seem ridiculous and out of place.

Obviously it’s a tricky balance to strike because this is still a story about a horrible murder, but provided they make him the most sympathetic character I think it’ll be OK.

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Potential spoilers below

Apparently, it will include front to cam style / breaking the fourth wall narration ala Wolf of Wall Street.

Honestly, this makes me a lot more confident in it. They seem to be going all in on making it self aware and campy, and even though it could still be completely abysmal, I’m not worried anymore about it being another dull Scott offerring like All the Money in the World.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

All I know about House of Gucci is these actors will be shut out of BAFTA regardless of quality.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

All I know about House of Gucci is these actors will be shut out of BAFTA regardless of quality.

You know this based on what, exactly?

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

All I know about House of Gucci is these actors will be shut out of BAFTA regardless of quality.

Why? Does it have something to do with how the tone turns out or something else?

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I’m not surprised that HoG is structured like WOWS with breaking the 4th wall. It always stike me as the kind of material that would be made in that manner. Sounds more interesting now than when it seemed like The Aviator type of thing.

The Aviator is a terrific and entertaining piece of filmmaking, certainly not something Scott would be able to do.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: right;”>

The Aviator is a terrific and entertaining piece of filmmaking, certainly not something Scott could do.

</p>

What is the 4nd Wall?

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Bleecker Street acquired the US rights to Mass. Deadline says a fourth quarter theatrical release is planned: https://deadline.com/2021/05/bleecker-street-picks-up-sundance-film-festival-jason-isaacs-feature-mass-1234751951/

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Bleecker Street acquired the US rights to Mass. Deadline says a fourth quarter theatrical release is planned: https://deadline.com/2021/05/bleecker-street-picks-up-sundance-film-festival-jason-isaacs-feature-mass-1234751951/

Probably not great for awards chances. I don’t think they’ve had a film contending for anything since Trumbo and Captain Fantastic in 2016/17 and neither of them did very much. 4th quarter release is good though, so it could possibly get in on the sheer strength of its performances/ audience and critic response and surprise like some other small production companies have recently, but it’s not ideal.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Probably not great for awards chances. I don’t think they’ve had a film contending for anything since Trumbo and Captain Fantastic in 2016/17 and neither of them did very much. 4th quarter release is good though, so it could possibly get in on the sheer strength of its performances/ audience and critic response and surprise like some other small production companies have recently, but it’s not ideal.

I haven’t seen it, but others who have commented here on GD that Martha Plimpton is very good in the film.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I haven’t seen it, but others who have commented here on GD that Martha Plimpton is very good in the film.

Yeah there have been very strong reviews for Plimpton, Isaacs and Dowd in the film so I have some hope for one or two of them to get nomination, although Bleecker Street had The Assistant last year and Julia Garner got minimal recognition for her brilliant performance, so who knows. I imagine the performances in Mass are slightly showier and have more dialogue, though, so perhaps they have a better chance.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.