Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
LA26
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

What kind of film is Tragedy of Macbeth going to be for A24… There are a few possibilities…

* The Farewell: No 1 Nomination

* Lady Bird: It recieves 5 Nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, 2 acting and screenplay

* Moonlight: It wins Best Picture…

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I just read the Vulture article. I think Dune will be another BR2049. Eternals isn’t getting a BP nomination. It has a diverse cast, but I don’t think it’ll have social relevance. I’m a fan of Nicole Kidman, but I’m skeptical of her getting in for Being the Ricardos. For House of Gucci, did he mean that the Academy might be turned off by it if it turns out to be too melodramatic? I can’t help but feel the movie might turn out to be too ridiculous, and the actors could end up just being caricatures.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

What kind of film is Tragedy of Macbeth going to be for A24… There are a few possibilities…

* The Farewell: No 1 Nomination

* Lady Bird: It recieves 5 Nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, 2 acting and screenplay

* Moonlight: It wins Best Picture…

Honestly, it depends on what A24 is prioritizing. It seems they’re promoting The Green Knight for now but I can see The Tragedy of Macbeth as their main push.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Macbeth with that directing and acting pedigree definitely is A24’s biggest campaign for next season.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

This will be Anya’s reaction when all of her Oscar vehicle flopped (I wanted Last Night in Soho and Northman to make it)

Im sorry if i sound like a dick but lowkey i wanted to see Canterbury Glass flopped hard like Collateral Beauty-bad.

Last Night in Soho is releasing in October at the right time potentially after she wins an Emmy for The Queen’s Gambit. Further visibility from The Northman in November and Canterbury Glass possibly in December also helps her chances.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Macbeth with that directing and acting pedigree definitely is A24’s biggest campaign for next season.

yeah no sh*t sherlock

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

yeah no sh*t sherlock

You did say it depends on what A24 would be prioritizing.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Honestly, it depends on what A24 is prioritizing. It seems they’re promoting The Green Knight for now but I can see The Tragedy of Macbeth as their main push.

I think that C’mon C’mon The Farewell is of this season

After Yang no idea

Tragedy of Macbeth the Moonlight or Lady Bird is of this season

The Green Knight The Lighthouse or Hereditary is of this season

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Harmen Moes, breaking the 4th Wall is having the actor look directly at the audience, that would be YOU, and talking to YOU directly, thus breaking with the traditional “proscenium arch” in a live theater,performance, and in a movie, interrupting the illusion of YOU, the viewer, watching a play, or a film, and making YOU a participant. Got that? Hope so. And as regards this seemingly across the board obsession with “House of Gucci,” it made be a glam conversation piece, and I AM looking forward to it, but there are plenty of other hotly anticipated films to obsess about –

Lady Gaga is the main reason there’s a lot of hype surrounding it, as well as the fact it’s her follow-up film to ASIB.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

In my opinion, big publications like Variety shouldn’t release Oscars 2022 predictions or possible contenders articles at this stage as it only contributes to the buzz of the movies with big names.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

What kind of film is Tragedy of Macbeth going to be for A24… There are a few possibilities… * The Farewell: No 1 Nomination * Lady Bird: It recieves 5 Nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, 2 acting and screenplay * Moonlight: It wins Best Picture…

Didn’t know Macbeth was A24. That’s pretty interesting. It’s probably their most prestigious and starry movie so far by a decent distance, probably their first contender that people expect to do really well prior to its release. They have proven they can campaign a film to BP/ BP nod, so despite a slump between Lady Bird and Minari I think it’s a fairly positive or neutral sign for Macbeth.

A Coen/ Denzel/ McDormand/ Shakespeare film is obviously going to be their main push for the season and, I’d assume, their only one. A24 does best when they can focus in on one major film – I think they suffered when juggling multiple films in that dry period. I’m excited for The Green Knight, Zola, False Positive and Pleasure, but I don’t see any Oscar chances there beyond maybe 1 or 2 techs if The Green Knight is a big hit.

I suspect Macbeth will fall somewhere between the Lady Bird and Moonlight examples – lots of noms, a few wins but not BP – although both of those are obviously tenuous links because they’re not historical epics with Oscar-favourite casts and crews. It’s kind of new ground for A24 in that way, and is their biggest film to date in most respects, so I wouldn’t limit it to those few examples. Right now I have it getting about 7 or 8 noms and winning in Actor and Cinematography.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

I am still very, very skeptical that “The Tragedy of Macbeth” (a Shakespeare based script and produced by Scott Rudin) will be in contention for BP.

Someone said pages ago that “Nightmare Alley” is not going to win because it’s a remake, but this is not only a remake from more recent movies but also one that gets many remakes on stage with and without the classic setting, with and without the updated language, with old and young leads, etc. These comparisons may seem irrelevant for this board with people from all over the world who may not even go to the theater but it’s very different for the acting branch that lives in NY/LA/London and game-changer for the Movie Critics that are going to review this.

Also, to me it doesn’t matter that Scott Rudin was put aside after his allegations since he was there during filming and, if this takes off, the minute an ounce of allegation comes out the set experience, this campaign will be over. And if it doesn’t, the lingering feeling of awarding the product that came from Rudin’s iron fist is enough to make many voters get turned off.

I’m pretty sure that Joel Coen will bring something peculiar to the text and Washington / McDormand will be incredible in it, but there are some many risks in promoting this movie that to think that its Oscar chances are going to be less than an uphill battle (let alone A24’s “Moonlight” this year) to me is just delusional. Sometimes good movies are just not worth promoting and this movie has the biggest chance so far to be this year’s case.

Profile picture
    vinichelsea
    Topics:

In my opinion, big publications like Variety shouldn’t release Oscars 2022 predictions or possible contenders articles at this stage as it only contributes to the buzz of the movies with big names.

You can bet they’re getting paid for that, Variety does nothing for free.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

It’s one thing to list predictions for who could get nominations, but another to boldly list winners like the Variety writer did with House of Gucci for Best Picture, and Ridley Scott for director.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

It’s one thing to list predictions for who could get nominations, but another to boldly list winners like the Variety writer did with House of Gucci for Best Picture, and Ridley Scott for director.

They do this every year.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.