Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
LA26
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Blue Bayou looks actually really good. I think this could end up being one of our indie contenders/critics pick this year.

That does look really nice, but I worry about the chances of an indie released in June, especially in a year like this backloaded with a ton of major contenders. It’s also a Focus Features film, and they’ll be backloading The Northman, The Card Counter, Belfast and Last Night in Soho, so I imagine Blue Bayou would need a very significant response/ critic awards run to avoid becoming one of the year’s ‘how tf did this get no nominations’ films.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Blue Bayou looks actually really good. I think this could end up being one of our indie contenders/critics pick this year.

This looks absolutely beautiful. I’m always so thrilled to see more Korean films and just more films starring Asian people as a whole! I love the June release date in the sense that I cannot wait to see this, but I do fear for its awards prospects. Of course not every film is made with the intention of awards, but I would love to see this recognized if it’s good, which I’m rather confident it will be. I agree that it’ll probably be big at critics awards, but I wonder if it could break in at the televised. Nevertheless, I’m very excited.

Profile picture
    Jackr123
    Topics:

That last still is stunning. Dark horse for Cinematography?

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I am inviting anyone who has updates on Amazing Kirsten Dunst to DM me with anything concerning her movie this year.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I am inviting anyone who has updates on Amazing Kirsten Dunst to DM me with anything concerning her movie this year.

Homestly…same.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

What is it about Ridley Scott that makes him finish and release movies quickly? Is it the number of hours the cast and crew work on a day? The total filming days for House of Gucci were 43. When it comes to the film’s reception, I’ll honestly be surprised if it gets 80 or 90 on metacritic. The writer is a newbie, and Scott hasn’t made a universally acclaimed film since The Martian.

Ridley Scott is a small number of takes Director. That’s why he is so fast. Ridley Scott is the opposite of David Fincher(900 takes record). Another interesting fact: he is always using a lot of cameras. 3-4 in intimate scenes. 12-13 Digital cameras in Huge Action Scenes

Profile picture
    Louis Cypher
    Topics:

Not to play devil’s advocate here… but pulling 3 stills from a movie and saying it looks amazing is ignoring 99% of what makes a movie work or not.

there are notoriously gorgeous-looking films that suck. and vice-versa.

so if we are talking purely about visuals, yes, it “looks” nice. but a misty shot of a river, a Wong-Kar-Wai-ish party scene and a mirror shot don’t do much in terms of narrative prowess.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Not to play devil’s advocate here… but pulling 3 stills from a movie and saying it looks amazing is ignoring 99% of what makes a movie work or not. there are notoriously gorgeous-looking films that suck. and vice-versa. so if we are talking purely about visuals, yes, it “looks” nice. but a misty shot of a river, a Wong-Kar-Wai-ish party scene and a mirror shot don’t do much in terms of narrative prowess.

I mean….of course. That kinda goes without saying. We’re all waiting for the movie to come out, so that we can give final input on whether it actually was amazing or if it disappointed. But it does no harm to say the pictures look visually beautiful and that the premise of the story is very intriguing, and therefore what makes the movie exciting. Not saying that’s what you were saying, but still.

I personally would love a trailer to get a broader expanse of what to expect, but the stills have me very anticipative.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Ridley Scott is the opposite of David Fincher(900 takes record).

Sorry but that is just ridiculous. No one should need 900 takes. If you get to 100 and you still don’t have a good one it’s time to take stock as to why.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Del Toro and Cooper already campaigning lol They are doing a Storytellers talk at Tribeca next month

https://www.tribecafilm.com/films/storytellers-bradley-cooper-and-guillermo-del-toro-2021

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I don’t see Cooper getting nominated for either of the 2 films coming out this year. His role in Soggy Bottom is reportedly small-Cooper Hoffman is the lead-and others have said his role in Nightmare Alley is too similar to a ASIB. I’m not a big Cooper fan, but I’m genuinely curious why he didn’t win the Oscar for that performance. Does the Academy really love biopics about real people and transformations that much? At the time, I really thought the scandal with Bryan Singer would kill Rami Malek’s campaign.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

his role in Nightmare Alley is too similar to a ASIB

I’m curious how the two roles are similar considering Nightmare Alley is a horror/noir film.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I’m curious how the two roles are similar considering Nightmare Alley is a horror/noir film.

The genres are different but the character arc has several similarities. Can’t really say more without spoiling the original film. Don’t really have an opinion on what that means for his nomination chances but there are parallels.

Profile picture
    Rowan
    Topics:

I’m also interested in how his role being similar to his role in ASIB, which received acclaim and earned him an Oscar nomination, rules out him getting nominated for Nightmare Alley. Actors get nominated all the time for playing the same/similar characters really well.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

After his Best Film list, the Oscar expert has now also announced that for actress… It is the early 2022 Best Actress Predictions

Top 5.

1. Ana de Armas – Blonde (Netflix)

2. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth (A24)

3. Margot Robbie – Canterbury Glass (20th Century Studios)

4. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci (United Artists)

5. Martha Plimpton – Mass (Bleecker Street)

Next in line…

6. Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog (Netflix)

7. Jennifer Hudson – Respect (Universal)

8. Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley (Searchlight)

9. Kristen Stewart – Spencer (Netflix)

10. Jennifer Lawrence – Red, White and Water (A24)

Followed by…

11. Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye (20th Century Studios)

12. Nicole Kidman – Being the Ricardos (Amazon Studios)

13. Chanté Adams – A Journal for Jordan (Sony Pictures Releasing)

14. Marion Cotillard – The Brutalist (TBD)

15. Marion Cotillard – Annette (Amazon Studios)

Outside the top 15…

16. Jennifer Lawrence – Don’t Look Up (Netflix)

17. Rachel Zegler – West Side Story (20th Century Studios)

18. Sandra Bullock – Untitled Nora Finggsheidt Project (TBD)

19. Florence Pugh – Don’t Worry Darling (Warner Bros)

20. Caitriona Balfe – Belfast (Focus Features)

21. Thomasin McKenzie – Last Night in Soho (Focus Features)

22. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter (TBD)

23. Jessica Chastain – The Good Nurse (Netflix)

24. Naomie Harris – Swan Song (Magnolia Pictures)

25. Tilda Swinton – Three Thousand Years of Longing (United Artists)

Who do you think will make the Top 5…

I personal think

1. Ana de Armas – Blonde (Netflix)

2. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth (A24)

3. Margot Robbie – Canterbury Glass (20th Century Studios)

4. Rachel Zegler – West Side Story (20th Century Studios)

5. Jennifer Hudson – Respect (Universal)

HM: Lady Gaga – House of Gucci, Martha Plimpton – Mass & Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.