Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
LA26
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Don’t forget The Card Counter.

As with everything this year, I wonder how the destruction of the HFPA will affect this films chance. There’s been so much about how they’ve refused to watch Black led films & shows, and missing the Globe is what slowed down / ended Haddish’s Oscar momentum for Girls Trip.

Curious to see if Focus will lean into that angle here.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Blue Bayou is one of their films as well.

I’m sceptical. This film is coming out in June so unless it receives strong critical or audience buzz I feel like it will get overshadowed.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I actually think the Blonde being a Netflix film really hurts Ana de Armas chances of winning. Biopics are those type of films that play best in theaters since they are typically crowdpleasers and make a lot of money. The Theory of Everything, The Darkest Hour, and even The Iron Lady made more than $100 million. Biopics just draw the general public in to pay to see them in theaters by an overwhelming margin. These type of films attract the older bunch of the Academy the most and they are still very much against streaming services over theatrical run films. All of those biopics were by the numbers too that the older Academy ate.. And we all know about Blonde’s experimental features based on early reactions from the screenplay.

Quite honestly, I only see JHud as a real biopic contender. Sure, many of you are super down on her about her acting, and I do agree but she’s great at emoting in musicals and when singing (basically a lot like Gaga that way—I think Gaga’s great when she’s singing, outside of it…eh). Plus Aretha is not a figure who has been done A LOT like Diana or Marilyn have, so despite the fact that I really de Armas and Kristen Stewart, they kinda have to be better even than Natalie Portman in Jackie. Portman had the luxury of swooping in with a “fresh new take” on a character that people weren’t used to seeing all that much. Whether or not JHud will be totally deserving remains to be seen obviously, I just think she has an easier path :/

But if I’m wrong…hmmm, I don’t know. On the one hand Stewart has the better director, on the other hand from the info we have so far, Blonde sounds like it could maybe just the right amount of “out there”.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

On the one hand Stewart has the better director, on the other hand from the info we have so far, Blonde sounds like it could maybe just the right amount of “out there”.

Blonde has been described by the director as ‘extremely experimental’ and ‘an avalanche of images and events’ that contains almost no dialogue. It’s more likely than not to be too far out there. I think its best case scenario is de Armas as a sole nominee.

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

When do trailers of main Sept/Oct/Nov contenders usually start to come out?

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

As far as I know Blonde is not a biopic. It’s a fictional take on Marilyn Monroe’s life.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

As far as I know Blonde is not a biopic. It’s a fictional take on Marilyn Monroe’s life.

I think thats even worse for Ana lol

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I think thats even worse for Ana lol

It is. It’s described as a ‘fictionalised chronicle of her inner life’

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

which films will be at Cannes next to TFD, Annette and Benedetta?

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I thought Blonde was going to be a traditional biopic when I first read about Ana getting cast, but I later found out it’s a fictionalized take on Monroe’s life. It’s based on a book by Joyce Carol Oates.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Do trailers for films coming out in October and November get released in July and August?

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Do trailers for films coming out in October and November get released in July and August?

I think for October May, Nov. June and Dec. July or august

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

New picture and some new info about Thomasin McKenzie’s character in Last Night in Soho: https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1392467807418322947

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

New picture and some new info about Thomasin McKenzie’s character in Last Night in Soho: https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1392467807418322947

McKenzie is a strong contender for the Young Actor / Actress award at CC

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Someone on AW says they’ve read the script for Last Night in Soho and said it’s great but not Oscar-y at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.