Home Forums Movies Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 517 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
12 hours ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
LA26
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Early May predix (alphabetical order).

BEST PICTURE
    1—The Card Counter
    2—Coda
    3—The French Dispatch
    4—Last Night in Soho
    5—Nightmare Alley
    6—Passing
    8—The Power of the Dog
    9—Soggy Bottom
    10—Three Thousand Years of Longing

BEST DIRECTOR
    1—Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    2—Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    3—George Miller, Three Thousand Years of Longing
    4—Paolo Sorrentino, The Hand of God
    5—Edgar Wright, Last Night in Soho

LEAD ACTOR
    1—Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom
    2—Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    3—Adam Driver, Annette
    4—Oscar Isaac, The Card Counter
    5—Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

LEAD ACTRESS
    1—Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    2—Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    3—Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    4—Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    5—Tilda Swinton, Three Thousand Years of Longing

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    1—Willem Dafoe, The Card Counter
    2—Idris Elba, Three Thousand Years of Longing
    3—Delroy Lindo, The Harder They Fall
    4—Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
    5—Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    1—Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley
    2—Ann Dowd, Mass
    3—Regina King, The Harder They Fall
    4—Ruth Negga, Passing
    5—Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    1—Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    2—Sian Heder, Coda
    3—George Miller, Three Thousand Years of Longing
    4—Paul Schrader, The Card Counter
    5—Edgar Wright & Krysty Wilson-Cairns, Last Night in Soho

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    1—Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    2—Joel Coen, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    3—Guillermo Del Toro & Kim Morgan, Nightmare Alley
    4—Maggie Gyllenhaal & Elena Ferrante, The Lost Daughter
    5—Rebecca Hall, Passing

CINEMATOGRAPHY:
    1—Jarin Blaschke, The Northman
    2—Daria D’Antonio, The Hand of God
    3—Dan Laustsen, Nightmare Alley
    4—Ari Wegner, The Power of the Dog
    5—Dariusz Wolski, The Last Duel

SCORE:
    1—Alexandre Desplat, Nightmare Alley
    2—Ramin Djawadi, Eternals
    3—Jonny Greenwood, The Power of the Dog
    4—Ron and Russell Mael, Annette
    5—Steven Price, Last Night in Soho

PRODUCTION DESIGN
    1—Dune
    2—The French Dispatch
    3—Nightmare Alley
    4—The Power of the Dog
    5—West Side Story

COSTUME DESIGN
    1—The French Dispatch
    2—House of Gucci
    3—Last Night in Soho
    4—Nightmare Alley
    5—West Side Story

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How is DiCaprio still in your all prediction? When we have Fassbender, Isaac or Skarsgård with not just more serious role, but also more serious filmmaker, how can you still predict him? I’m speechless.

Skarsgard will be the critics push who comes up short at the televised awards.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Good lord Thomasin McKenzie is literally JLaw 2.0 without Harvey Weinstein

https://twitter.com/TheFilmUpdates/status/1389250342408306695?s=19

I don’t quite understand the comparison to JLaw but it seems like Harvey Weinsten has become an extension to JLaw whenever somebody talks about her. I’m not even a fan of JLaw but give her a break.

Profile picture
    Red
    Topics:

If the rumour that Lady Gaga is doing the theme for Top Gun: Maverick is true will that place one of these?

Probably, Top Gun is releasing in a good date and Gaga will have the Gucci hype.

Profile picture
    SoniNon
    Topics:

There’s been less convincing teens in recent memory that have gotten away with it. Hell, just look at Florence Pugh last year who was playing way beyond her age range. Few complained because her performance was strong enough to overcome it

Perhaps you missed it, but plenty of people mocked the scenes where Florence was suppose to be playing a little girl, like when she was walking around with a doll, or especially in the school scene when she was surrounded by actual teenagers. Literally no one will buy an entire movie of Ben Platt playing a high schooler.

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

Florence Welch is releasing a soundtrack for Cruella! Love her even if I think the movie is not gonna be great https://twitter.com/TheFilmUpdates/status/1389499704992583681?s=20

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

Pugh’s Little Women nod is about Midsommar being a no-go for voters.

I think she deserved the nomination for Little Women but let’s just say Midsommar helped her get a nomination the same way Ex Machina helped Alicia Vikander’s win for The Danish Girl.

Profile picture
    Miguel Alves
    Topics:

I didn’t get LOTR vibes the Eternals shots, but there was Nomadland vibes for sure. Also, I think West Side Story will be much more than what people are trying to make it look. I think it will be a big contender.

Also, Dune will be A tech contender only

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Perhaps you missed it, but plenty of people mocked the scenes where Florence was suppose to be playing a little girl, like when she was walking around with a doll, or especially in the school scene when she was surrounded by actual teenagers. Literally no one will buy an entire movie of Ben Platt playing a high schooler.

Yeah I would agree – there’s big difference between Pugh playing a teenager for part of a movie where she’s not the main character and her teenage-ness isn’t the focus, and Platt playing a teenager where the entire focus is on him and his teenage storyline. It’s not like they would have cast Pugh in that role had she not also been playing older Amy – if it was just a movie about 13 year old Amy they would have cast someone younger.

I just think we’ll see a lot of reviews that say words to the effect of  ‘Platt is great but I was distracted by the fact he is an indisputably adult looking guy trying to tell us he’s a teenager’.

Especially given that there are plenty of (admittedly not Tony-winning) actors who have played Evan since him who could have stepped in. Then again I guess when your dad is producing the movie that also helps. Even Platt himself has talked about how he’s probably a bit long in the tooth to do it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Florence Welch is releasing a soundtrack for Cruella! Love her even if I think the movie is not gonna be great https://twitter.com/TheFilmUpdates/status/1389499704992583681?s=20

I NEED HER TO GET A NOM.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

How is DiCaprio still in your all prediction? When we have Fassbender, Isaac or Skarsgård with not just more serious role, but also more serious filmmaker, how can you still predict him? I’m speechless.

I think it makes a lot of sense to predict DiCaprio over these three right now. We have no idea when Next Goal Wins is coming out. Same goes for The Card Counter – and Schrader is hit and miss in terms of quality and hasn’t received Academy recognition for Actors in any film he’s directed since 1997’s Affliction. Skarsgard’s role we also know very little about and it’s more logical to predict a Netflix-backed McKay film, and someone with DiCaprio’s star power, over a Viking revenge epic from a filmmaker with no nominations to his name yet.

Whatever your views of McKay as a filmmaker, the Academy has gone big on his last two films, nominating them for four acting Oscars and giving both Best Picture nods. If Sam Rockwell’s cameo turn in Vice could get an Oscar nod, DiCaprio leading McKay’s next film definitely could. Couple that with DiCaprio’s popularity and star-power draw, and Netflix’s ability to campaign actors to nominations year on year and he’s a very logical choice right now as I see it.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Well, Chazelle could “fail” (award wise) on his third attempt while the film was critically acclaimed and had big names in it. Why can’t McKay follow the same route? DiCaprio’s name guarantees its commercial attraction, but I doubt it can influence its critical reception related to awards. As far as I’m concerned, we predict for the future, right? While Netflix just left award season with two lead actors nominated, I don’t this this year they will achieve the same feat because cinemas are gradually opened and The AMPAS will be back to its nature of loving cinema-released film. I believe Cumberbatch will be Netflix’ only placeholder because the film he stars in is meatier, and he’s fresh enough to be awarded something.

Profile picture
    AniAbbina
    Topics:

I honestly hate that people are slanding on JLaw, I am not her biggest fan but she is definetly talented. She literally did one movie with We*nstein. She still would have been a star without him. She did Winter’s Bones and she got The Hunger Games without him

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

Well, Chazelle could “fail” (award wise) on his third attempt while the film was critically acclaimed and had big names in it. Why can’t McKay follow the same route? DiCaprio’s name guarantees its commercial attraction, but I doubt it can influence its critical reception related to awards. As far as I’m concerned, we predict for the future, right? While Netflix just left award season with two lead actors nominated, I don’t this this year they will achieve the same feat because cinemas are gradually opened and The AMPAS will be back to its nature of loving cinema-released film. I believe Cumberbatch will be Netflix’ only placeholder because the film he stars in is meatier, and he’s fresh enough to be awarded something.

Well Netflix will pull its usual move to make their movies eligible. They have several In-Contention movies in these last couple years and maybe one of them will stink. Two years ago we had The King, last year we had Hillbily Elegy. What would it be for this year? Probably Dont look up, it could be other way round too. Everything could happen.

Also for anyone who is wondering where is the Comparison between McKenzie and Lawrence, they both broke through under the same director and several critics compared them.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

I don’t have any formal predictions. But I hope this is the year where David O’Russell finally gets what he deserves and his films becomes a complete awards flop to stop actors from continually working with him to get awards and enable his abusive behaviour.

I also hope that Justin H. Min delivers in After Yang. I’ve read the short story, it seems like a very promising role, and who knows it might make a splash on the indie circuit.

FYC:

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Very Early 2022 Oscar Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.