Home Forums Movies 2018 Gold Derby Film Awards (Winners Announced)

2018 Gold Derby Film Awards (Winners Announced)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Chris Beachum
Hunter-ish
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Will the 2018 Gold Derby Film Awards reflect the Oscars’ eventual choices? Or should we avoid this year’s presumptive academy favorites entirely? It’s hard to know what the Oscars will do in such an unusually close race, but you can decided for yourself between “Dunkirk,” “Lady Bird,” “The Shape of Water,” “Get Out,” and many more films as voting is now open for nominations in the 16th Annual Gold Derby Film Awards honoring the best achievements from the calendar year 2017.

To vote, visit our predictions center. Then scroll down to “Gold Derby Film Awards Nominations 2018” and click the green box to the right that says “VOTE” to enter your picks in as many or as few categories as you like. Select your top three favorites in each category, arranged in order of preference. Your number-one choice will get three points, your number-two choice gets two points, and your number-three choice gets one point. The top five scorers in each category will be the final nominees.

There’s one exception: Best Picture. There will be 10 nominees in that category, so you can vote for your top five favorites, with five points going to your number-one choice down to one point for your fifth-place choice.

YOU CAN CAMPAIGN in this thread for a small number of your favorites. Keep that number at five or under, otherwise your post will be deleted. DO NOT post your ballot in this thread.

If you haven’t seen all the contenders yet, don’t worry. You can vote now and edit your ballot as often as you like until voting closes on Sunday, January 28, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Choose your favorite films and performances in 22 categories now. Nominees will be announced on February 1.

From 2002 to 2010, voting was conducted via secret ballot through our message boards, and during that time, five out of our nine Best Picture winners matched the Oscars’ choice.

Voting moved to our quick and easy predictions center in 2011, and our users agreed with the academy for three years in a row, picking “The Artist” (2011), “Argo” (2012), and “12 Years a Slave” (2013) as the Best Pictures of the Year. But then our users deviated by picking “Boyhood” (2014) for Best Picture and Best Director (Richard Linklater) instead of eventual Oscar champ “Birdman.” We went our own way again the next year, giving “Mad Max: Fury Road” (2015) eight awards including Picture and Director (George Miller). And last year’s prize went to the Oscar frontrunner at the time, “La La Land” (2016), but it was the Oscars that threw a curve ball by picking “Moonlight.”

All 15 of Gold Derby’s previous Best Picture champs are listed below, in addition to our special award honoring the best film of the last decade (2000-2009). And you can see the complete history of the Gold Derby Film Awards here.

2002: “Chicago”
    2003: “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”
    2004: “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”
    2005: “Brokeback Mountain”
    2006: “The Departed”
    2007: “No Country for Old Men”
    2008: “WALL-E”
    2009: “The Hurt Locker”
    Decade (2000-2009): “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”
    2010: “The Social Network”
    2011: “The Artist”
    2012: “Argo”
    2013: “12 Years a Slave”
    2014: “Boyhood”
    2015: “Mad Max: Fury Road”
    2016: “La La Land”

Daniel Montgomery
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If you would like any candidates added to the Gold Derby Awards you can send me a private message to do so.

— Please request no more than 5 additions. For the record, “Please add ‘My Favorite Movie’ to 10 categories” counts as 10 different requests.

— Please limit your requests to who you would personally like to vote for. No requests of “If Jane Doe is an option, then these 30 people should also be options.”

— Your requests will all be considered, but I can’t promise I’ll be able to get to every one. I’ll do my best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks guys. Supporting actor is tough for me to narrow down to just 3 – however, I do like how the point system is setup (and the limited choice of 3, even though it is difficult).

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Vote for Jlaw guys, and everything Call Me By Your Name. I would also love to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer get some noms, especially for Barry Keoghan.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

aka known as the BFCA of Gold Derby!

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, vote for Get Out all over the place. It deserves the praise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    LangeWeaver2
    Participant
    Topics:

Get Out (so clever and unnerving and exactly what white moderates and liberals need to see, frankly)

CMBYN (never felt that way watching a movie)

Timothee Chalamet  (he didn’t act as Elio, he became Elio, a study in empathy)

Laurie Metcalf  (she held her film together; every time she was on screen it’s like I was hypnotized,couldn’t look at anyone else)

Frances McDormand  (don’t care if she was typecast, I could watch her all day)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  LangeWeaver2.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  LangeWeaver2.
    ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC:

– Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

A film that deftly balances tone, humor, and heartbreak with an inventive screenplay and fantastic performances. One of the great films of the decade. Please consider McDonagh in writing and directing.

– Jeremy Renner, Wind River (Lead actor)

– Ana de Armas, Blade Runner 2049 (Supporting actress)

– Okja (Original screenplay)

– I, Tonya (Cinematography)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  CanadianFan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

As of right now, I, Tonya is not listed for cinematography.

I have messaged Daniel to change this. Please consider it!

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC – Mystery of Love/Vision of Gideons for Original Song

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC: “Captain Underpants Theme”

Let’s make Weird Al a GoldDerby Film Award a nominee.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC: GET OUT in all relevant categories, including

Best Picture
    Best Director: Jordan Peele
    Best Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Catherine Keener
    Best Supporting Actress: Allison Williams
    Best Original Screenplay: Jordan Peele

GetOut

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC: Barry Keoghan in Supporting Actor. Because most of the damn circuit’s been blind to him all season.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

There are so many omissions the options end up being incredibly limited, I think it is kinda stupid.

I don’t have the time to PM anyone or list the missing options but how can you take this seriously when it doesn’t even have Good Time in Original Score, like seriously dude?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.