Home Forums Movies 2020 Gold Derby Film Awards (Winners on 2/4 at 10:00 PT)

2020 Gold Derby Film Awards (Winners on 2/4 at 10:00 PT)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 154 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Qoslca
Chris Beachum
  • lady_bird
    Participant
    Topics:

Much better than the Oscars but kinda disappointed that Bombshell was shut out. Strong showing from Little Women tho 🙂  The taste!

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

These noms aren’t bad, just a shame this year is dead

ReplyCopy URL
    ponzie5
    Participant
    Topics:

These are super good nominations and I wish this was the oscars line up. My only complaint is no love for Midsommar

ReplyCopy URL
    JROCK1772
    Participant
    Topics:

Alfre Woodard deserved.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chimichanggas
    Participant
    Topics:

Brad Pitt and Laura Dern should not win here. Any alternative would do. Preferably, Joe Pesci and Jennifer Lopez.

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙖𝙙, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪

ReplyCopy URL
    AaronSportsWhy
    Participant
    Topics:

I was hoping for a surprise nomination for George MacKay

Same here! I was also hoping Shia LaBeouf and Noah Jupe might get in for Honey Boy, for supporting and breakthrough respectively. I get why that film didn’t cut through, but it’s a bit of a bummer. Excellent performances from those two.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Same here! I was also hoping Shia LaBeouf and Noah Jupe might get in for Honey Boy, for supporting and breakthrough respectively. I get why that film didn’t cut through, but it’s a bit of a bummer. Excellent performances from those two.

Yes, Honey Boy was amazing! But nobody saw it sadly ): Noah Jupe ought to have gotten recognition in Breakthrough for both Honey Boy and Ford v Ferrari. Noah and Shia are both nominated at the Indie Spirits and it would be great if one of them won instead of Willem Dafoe.

ReplyCopy URL
    0215MADman
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the most disappointing snub for me is Kelvin Harrison Jr. not getting in for Breakthrough Performer. He gave not one but TWO earth-shattering performances in 2019. The snubs in other categories aren’t surprising since the Gold Derby Awards are typically just “the Oscars but they nominate the big snubs” (this is especially the case in Best Animated Feature, who exclusively nominate the most mainstream films and anything that gets in that’s “indie” are films already nominated at the Oscars) and there usually aren’t many nominations that truly stick out, there certainly weren’t this year, but Kelvin’s snub is the only one that feels disappointing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Golden Girl
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the most disappointing snub for me is Kelvin Harrison Jr. not getting in for Breakthrough Performer. He gave not one but TWO earth-shattering performances in 2019. The snubs in other categories aren’t surprising since the Gold Derby Awards are typically just “the Oscars but they nominate the big snubs” (this is especially the case in Best Animated Feature, who exclusively nominate the most mainstream films and anything that gets in that’s “indie” are films already nominated at the Oscars) and there usually aren’t many nominations that truly stick out, there certainly weren’t this year, but Kelvin’s snub is the only one that feels disappointing.

I would have loved to see Kelvin Harrison, Jr. in breakthrough as well. I also voted for Taylor Russell in Supporting Actress. Overall, I felt Waves in particular was sadly overlooked everywhere this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I was excited to see “Waves” but where I live in AZ it basically disappeared from theatres after one week and I did not get the chance. If that happened across the country this may be more of an availability issue rather than a snubbing issue.

I did have Noah Jupe in my breakthrough performance list because even though “Honey Boy” was barely released and barely seen it played near me longer than “Waves” did.

ReplyCopy URL
    0215MADman
    Participant
    Topics:

I was excited to see “Waves” but where I live in AZ it basically disappeared from theatres after one week and I did not get the chance. If that happened across the country this may be more of an availability issue rather than a snubbing issue.

I mean, my Kelvin Harrison Jr. nomination doubles for both Luce and Waves, but I understand that nobody’s heard of Luce.

Waves was doomed getting sandwiched between The Lighthouse and Uncut Gems. A24 hoped word of mouth would spread and not only did it not, but the small audience that did see it are relatively split on it. And because of that, A24 pulled Waves out of theaters fast. Again, I’m not surprised Kelvin got snubbed at Gold Derby because one film wasn’t widely available until now and no one has heard of the other, I’m simply disappointed.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  0215MADman.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  0215MADman.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

As usual, I’m finding myself in the minority: these are boring. Stop nominating the same ten films that the Oscars do! We never think outside the box; nominating The Farewell is not being eclectic.

You have a point but compared to what we’ve ended up with before these are relatively un-sheepy. I mean, 12 out of 20 match with Oscar for acting nominees has to be a record right? If this was a smaller group of young aspiring filmmakers or journalists I would agree with you but this is GoldDerby, what did you expect? Another thing to consider is that the voting system was rigged towards mainstream contenders because the only options we had were movies copied and pasted from the predictions centre save for three additional requests each. That doesn’t leave much room for eclecticism.

ReplyCopy URL
    Golden Girl
    Participant
    Topics:

I did have Noah Jupe in my breakthrough performance list because even though “Honey Boy” was barely released and barely seen it played near me longer than “Waves” did.

I was on the opposite end, where I had a chane to see Waves, but Honey Boy came and went way too quickly. I would love to see it though and I’m waiting for the DVD release. It’s really unfortunate that these small films can’t garner a wider auidence. They definitely deserve it.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My biggest issue is that I think films that are released widely (their national release date) after voting begins ought to be eligible the following year. For example – Portrait of a Lady on Fire still hasn’t opened where I am and so I couldn’t vote for it as a result. The trailer looks amazing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Golden Girl
    Participant
    Topics:

My biggest issue is that I think films that are released widely (their national release date) after voting begins ought to be eligible the following year. For example – Portrait of a Lady on Fire still hasn’t opened where I am and so I couldn’t vote for it as a result. The trailer looks amazing.

Same! That’s the other movie I am desperately waiting to see. I’ve been putting off making my annual top 10 of the year list for this one in particular.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 154 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.