Home Forums Movies Was Being There considered to have under-performed at the 1979 Oscars?

Was Being There considered to have under-performed at the 1979 Oscars?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Andrew Carden
Emmyfan
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

No director, picture or even adapted screenplay, yet Melvyn managed to win. BTW this was quite a year in film. Pretty much all the nominees are all well regarded and remembered films.

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Below are the nominees for Supporting Actor when Melvyn Douglas won:

Melvyn Douglas Being There
    Robert Duvall Apocalypse Now
    Frederic Forrest The Rose
    Justin Henry Kramer vs. Kramer
    Mickey Rooney The Black Stallion

Below are the Best Actor nominees in which Peter Sellers was nominated:

Dustin Hoffman Kramer vs. Kramer
    Jack Lemmon The China Syndrome
    Al Pacino …And Justice for All
    Roy Scheider All That Jazz
    Peter Sellers Being There

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

oh and Shirley MacLaine got left out of Best Actress too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Jerry Kosinski’s snub in Adapted Screenplay, in favor of sitcom writer Allan Burns’ script for A Little Romance, was a shocker. MacLaine, not so much, and Ashby, definitely not – though revered in the industry, he was known as the most laid back of directors, someone who gave heaps of leeway to those around him to run the show (frankly, he was often too high to steer the ship himself). Ashby was never going to earn a Best Director nom without the film landing in Best Picture first (which was unlikely).

Also, United Artists found itself preoccupied by Apocalypse Now that season. Their other contenders – Being There, Manhattan, The Black Stallion, Hair – all undoubtedly suffered a bit by the attention given to the Coppola picture.

THE OSCAR 100 (#25-21): Peter Sellers, Orson Welles, Montgomery Clift, Katharine Hepburn and Robert Forster

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Great info Andrew! Hair is fantastic. It deserved some recognition.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

Though at the time the reception to Hair was rather mixed and it performed below expectations at the box office. Though I liked the film myself it probably have performed better had it been made years earlier – it was somewhat passe` by 1979.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Was Douglas a strong front runner going in to the ceremony? He tied with Duvall at the Globes. I always thought Duvall was a big oversight since Dustin Hoffman mentioned it in his speech as an outrage. When I was finally old enough to see Apocalypse Now I was shocked that Duvall is barely in it. Fredric Forrest was actually the most memorable supporting player which I’m sure helped him get in for The Rose (in which he was also very good.)

I haven’t seen the Black Stallion since I was a kid. Was Mickey Rooney much of a contender? I don’t really remember him. I mostly just remember the horse!

And how on earth did they leave out Paul Dooley for Breaking Away?

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

The Dooley snub was indeed a surprise, especially since Barrie managed to make the cut in Supporting Actress. Rooney was the unexpected nominee and wasn’t seen in contention for the win, nor was Henry. Forrest had a great year, between The Rose and Apocalypse Now, while honoring Duvall was basically their way of recognizing the entire Apocalypse Now ensemble. Also, many in the industry had already seen The Great Santini (it began screening in the summer of ’79, long before its formal ’80 release), so that certainly helped.

But Douglas was ultimately the towering front-runner, a revered veteran of the silver screen who had not just one but two Oscar-caliber turns in ’79 (the other being The Seduction of Joe Tynan).

THE OSCAR 100 (#20-16): Jodie Foster, Martin Landau, Jessica Lange, Patty Duke and Anne Bancroft

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

If anyone was snubbed that year, it was Marlon Brando for Apocalypse Now. His monologue haunts me every time, and I consider it to be the worst Oscar snub of all time.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.