Home Forums Movies Was John Wayne the predicted winner in 1969?

Was John Wayne the predicted winner in 1969?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
JayDF
arodfan
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I’ve read it drove Dustin Hoffman crazy that he lost to Wayne (and probably started his brief acrimony with the Academy.)

Who was the front runner going in?

Sort of odd to see it now with Streisand presenting it. The most famous Hollywood liberal rewarding the most famous conservative.

Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I think I remember hearing that the prognosticators for that category were torn between the two Midnight Cowboy guys and they probably split the vote and gave John Wayne the victory. O’Toole and Burton had no chance of winning because no one liked either their film(O’Toole) or performance(Burton). They were just filler nominees that easily could have been replaced by Newman and Redford.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

I know nothing of predictions way back then, but Wayne was already a legend by this point. Then adding everything ardofan said above, it seems like it should have been a foregone conclusion. One of my least favorite victories in this category. I’m not a fan in the least but if he had to win an award it should have been for “The Searchers” or something else John Ford directed at least. The first “True Grit” movie was so painful to sit through. The film wasn’t the least bit interesting IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Sort of odd to see it now with Streisand presenting it. The most famous Hollywood liberal rewarding the most famous conservative.

Wasn’t this just because she was the reigning best actress winner?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Wasn’t this just because she was the reigning best actress winner?

Yes

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

It might not have been so odd then. I’m sure she wasn’t nearly as outspoken then as now. It’s not like sitting next to W. at the Kennedy Center Honor. LOL. I bet she would have agreed or chosen to get that honor earlier if it hadn’t been for the potential clash there. Yes I know a president has no deciding factors in those choices, but those that do might consider it try & make things as smooth as possible. For instance Jane Fonda ever getting it is highly unlikely no matter who is running the country.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I feel like I remember the old poster Seanflynn back in the day saying that John Wayne was one of the biggest foregone conclusions since he began watching the ceremony in the mid 60s

Some could argue that Hoffman was being egotistical but I really don’t think that’s the case. He was fantastic in that film and he should’ve won…and just two years prior, he mentioned how he was not worthy to win for THE GRADUATE and pulled for Steiger.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Hoffman admitted that his problems with the academy (that he mentions in his speech for Kramer Versus Kramer) he later realized were just hurt feelings since he had lost for Midnight Cowboy and then wasn’t even nominated for Little Big Man, Papillon or All the President’s Men.

After the Kramer win he was a pretty active and enthusiastic participant and campaigner for his subsequent nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.