Home Forums Movies Was Showgirls (1995) ahead of it’s time?

Was Showgirls (1995) ahead of it’s time?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FairWeatherAf..
ENGLAND
Jazzy
Was Showgirls (1995) ahead of it’s time?
Yes
No
  • Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I’ve watched Showgirls (1995) with a friend recently and it was my first time watching that film. There were only a few issues I had with the story, but otherwise, I thought the film was magical.

Firstly, it looked like a film of today with the incredible cinematography and ‘hardcore’ storytelling. Many acclaimed movies of today are what Showgirls was back in 1995. Below is multiple articles that discuss how Showgirls was ‘misunderstood’ and ‘criminally underrated.’
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/in-defence-of-showgirls-a-misunderstood-movie-masterpiece/article16469554/
    https://spectrumculture.com/2013/06/17/criminally-underrated-showgirls/

Do you guys think the film is good by today standards or is it still a “bad movie” like The Atlantic has stated?

Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

It’s always been a masterpiece of cinema. The definitive film of 1995 to be sure, and one of the greatest of all time.

But people are stupid, so it’s not surprising that it has the reputation it does.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

It’s always been a masterpiece of cinema. The definitive film of 1995 to be sure, and one of the greatest of all time.

But people are stupid, so it’s not surprising that it has the reputation it does.

I feel like the exact film could be released today and it would be an Oscar contender.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

It was a shitty film then and it’s still a shitty film now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

I’d recommend viewing You Don’t Nomi. It’s a documentary about the reaction Showgirls received then vs now. For a film critics & audiences obliterated, its longevity is ironic.

Showgirls is personally one of my favorite movies. Yes, it’s campy. Yes, it’s trashy. But there’s a certain element of truth to its depiction of envy, greed, misogyny and sex.

Gina Gershon is absolutely fabulous as Cristal btw.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

I always appreciated that the doggy chow scene means the movie passes the Bechdel test!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

This is the first I’ve ever heard Showgirls being described as anything other than one of the most panned films of all time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marco11
    Topics:

I watched it recently for the first time, and loved it deeply. Honestly I had the opposite reaction of @FairWeatherAffair, as I thought it was incredibly intelligent and brilliant in quite a clear way – I don’t understand how a professional film critic would not understand its intentions and scope. But seen its original reception, I’m very wrong!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SDoesNotKnow504
    Topics:

The movie is idiotic. I think standards have gone down all-aboard if people actually appreciate it now, and in a non-ironic or rose-colored nostalgia glasses kind of way. It has moments of insight and Gina Gershon is great because she acts like she’s in on the joke, but that’s not enough to make a good movie. It’s also a bit exploitative of Elizabeth Berkley who thought this movie would make her a star. I think any attempt to really rehabilitate this movie is an exercise in showing how critical rehabilitation or retrospective looks at then-unappreciated or underappreciated films have jumped the shark since now everyone thinks ANY movie can be rehabilitated just given some time and adding guilty pleasure enjoyment of trash, ass, camp. People think camp makes up for actual content. I can think of a few Oscar performances that won based on the enjoyment of camp or camp-adjacent factors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Showgirls is an awful movie.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.