Home Forums Movies Was "The Dark Knight not nominated for Best Picture" a surprise in 2009 ?

Was "The Dark Knight not nominated for Best Picture" a surprise in 2009 ?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
VeraDoyle
Philip
I Am The Night
  • I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

It was nominated for tons of pre-Oscar awards: BFCA, PGA, DGA, WGA, SAGA,… Which means it was a real contender and received huge buzz for award season. But later still snubbed by the Academy ?

Was The Dark Knight snubbed a surprise and pissed off many people or it was completely anticipated ? I heard rumours that the Academy, in fact, it was Sidney Ganis, the academy’s president back in that day confirm that they considered to have 10 films compete for Best Picture because of movies like TDK and Wall E. Was it true ?

Anonymous
    Topics:

well it got one globe nom and one major bafta nom. so i wasn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t into Oscars back then but if TDK was happening now, I would be very hesitant to predict it for BP just because it’s a comic book movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

No.

ReplyCopy URL
    tonorlo
    Participant
    Topics:

The short answer as far as it being a surprise when “The Dark Knight” didn’t get a Best Picture nomination: it was, and it wasn’t.

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Frost/Nixon,” “Milk” and “Slumdog Millionaire” had the momentum of being nominated for some meaty precursor awards (with “F/N” being seen as the most vulnerable for a Best Picture nomination of those four; the other three were locks for the nomination). That meant there was only one spot open.

Thanks to Ledger’s untimely passing, “The Dark Knight” had a phenomenal buzz factor at the time. Yes, there was a feeling that the “comic book movie” factor could hurt it, but there was also a loud drum-beating along the lines of “If any ‘comic book movie’ could and SHOULD break through to the Best Picture nomination…”

That said, people predicting “The Dark Knight” to fill the fifth slot knew that historically speaking, it was a risky supposition. At the time, a lot of people thought another Kate Winslet vehicle, “Revolutionary Road” (that was also getting hyped to Kingdom Come) would be the “safe” bet for the final slot. (“Wall-E” was in the conversation, but not to the degree that “The Dark Knight” was.)

There was absolutely a lot of upset when “The Reader” claimed the final slot on Nomination morning- it provided another upset by being Kate Winslet’s sole nomination that year (she was widely predicted to get a Lead nomination for “Revolutionary Road” and following the Globes’ and SAG’s suit, a SUPPORTING nomination for “The Reader”). And there’s no doubt that the outcry and backlash over the “Dark Knight” snub certainly helped usher in the (frankly ludicrous) enlargement of the Best Picture category for the first time since 1944.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I stumbled upon a Tom ONeil video in which he explained that it was going to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    VeraDoyle
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a fan pick, not a realistic contender. Honestly, it’s a great film, but I didn’t find it that Oscar-worthy. Unpopular opinion, but I think Ledger’s Oscar is a joke(r). He was good, but hardly worthy of any acting prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Some definitely expected it. The snub was seen as a huge one that helped lead to the BP expansion for more audience-friendly “genre” films. It was also in part due to the outrage over that shitty “The Reader” making it in instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, The Dark Knight didn’t even deserve Ledger’s death prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, The Dark Knight didn’t even deserve Ledger’s death prize.

Who should have won?

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

No surprise at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

well it got one globe nom and one major bafta nom. so i wasn’t.

but it got all the most important preOscar award: BFCA, PGA, WGA, DGA,… so missing those 2 wasnt really a big problem

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

yet it obviously was.

also, back then i’d never even heard of all these things you’re listing so i had no reason to predict tdk.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that was the year I was on here following them to the extent I do now. I was certainly caught up in the hype of TDK. Saw it opening wknd and everything. But looking back on it now, it was a flawed movie anchor by a performance for the ages. It gave us the 5-10 rule, which has been some nonsense for the most part since it should be an automatic 10.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The irony of the Best Picture nominating system is that it was implemented because it would have nominated The Dark Knight and WALL·E, but those films would not be nominated if they came out today because Marvel and Frozen have made Oscar voters view all comic book and animated films as excessively commercial properties not worthy of Best Picture consideration.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.