Home Forums Movies What if: Award Season 2021

What if: Award Season 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
We keep the n..
wolfali
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

Being the Richardos

Lets say that Cate Blanchett was cast as Lucille Ball and got raves for her performance. And then with her supporting turn in both Dont Look Up and Nightmare Alley, would have position her yet again how versatile an actress she truly is.

Would Blanchett have been a favourite to win a 3rd Oscar?

What do you guys think?

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Didn’t Blanchett bail on the project due to Sorkin’s involvement? I think while she could’ve done an excellent job, she could only be competitive for a win if the film was absolutely amazing. You don’t win a third Oscar for a middling movie unless you’re Meryl Streep and Blanchett wasn’t seen as overdue for 30 years of amazing work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

The Last Duel

If the studio had campaign Jodie Comer in supporting, I think she would have had a great chance for a nomination. But who would have been kick out of the top 5?

What do you guys think?

FYC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whilst I do think she would have had a better chance at a nomination, I don’t think Comer would still get in at the Oscars in supporting. She’d have ended up being another Claire Foy in First Man.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

Whilst I do think she would have had a better chance at a nomination, I don’t think Comer would still get in at the Oscars in supporting. She’d have ended up being another Claire Foy in First Man.

Why do you think that? Is it her performance, the lack of buzz around the movie, screen time etc?

FYC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Do we reckon Leo would get in, if he had decided to do the Jon Peters role in Licorice Pizza?

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

(a) Blanchett instead of Kidman won’t make much of a difference, just that Twitter would be kinder. The film is not getting BP and in a category as stacked as Actress, Blanchett probably would be where Kidman is at present but with a much weaker narrative (since she would not have faced much Twitter backlash).

(b) Comer in supporting would have boosted her chances but again the category is too strong and TLD is not strong. She could show up at BAFTA but I don’t think she could have made the Oscars. Add to that the problem that some Academy voters would probably place her in Lead (so vote splitting).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why do you think that? Is it her performance, the lack of buzz around the movie, screen time etc?

The buzz around the film mainly. I guess she theoretically could have pulled a Kathy Bates/Michael Shannon and gotten in as the sole nominee for a hyped up contender that underwhelmed after it premiered and throughout the season but I think the fact that both supporting categories tend to correlate with Best Picture wouldn’t have done her many favours with how stacked the competition is especially this year.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Do we reckon Leo would get in, if he had decided to do the Jon Peters role in Licorice Pizza?

No. It’s just not a significant enough role, especially given the placement of the scene in the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog

Elisabeth Moss was the original choice to play Rose, but had to back out due to scheduling conflicts with Next Goal Wins. Would Moss had gotten more or less the same raves as Dunst? This could also had been her first overdue nomination as well

FYC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Had there been no pandemic, would any of the nominees and winners for awards season 2021 been any different? If so, how?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I think she might get nominated in both, but I’m not sure she would be a frontrunner to win a third.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The hypothetical with the Elisabeth Moss casting is interesting because on the one hand I absolutely do think she would have received just as strong notices (she’s Elisabeth Moss, critics love her and she’s a fantastic actress who is arguably one of the most revered in the industry today) but although she’s the exact same age as Kirsten Dunst, her narrative is quite different. Kirsten Dunst is a film actress who since she was a child has received critical acclaim for numerous film performances and has often been cited as one of the actors you’d be “most shocked about having never been nominated for an Oscar”. Moss however is a television actress who hasn’t had the same opportunities she’s had in film as she’s had in television (like with Allison Janney, Regina King etc).

I think Dunst is probably in a stronger position in this Oscar race than Moss would have been because Rose isn’t really like a role she’s ever had in her filmography whilst Moss has played characters like Rose but I do think Moss would have still be in the Oscar conversation and grabbed a nomination at the very least. It would have been interesting to see how she fared with Aunjanue Ellis as they both have similar awards narratives and whether Moss would have overshadowed Ellis and her case completely or if their support would be even more evenly split than Dunst and Ellis’ seem to be and DeBose would thus be a much stronger frontrunner.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

No. It’s just not a significant enough role, especially given the placement of the scene in the film.

If it was DiCaprio, they’d have written the part to be bigger.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.