Home Forums Movies What’s Went Wrong?: 1984 and 1994 Best Actress Race

What’s Went Wrong?: 1984 and 1994 Best Actress Race

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anirudh_Arun
ManavD.
RobertPius
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Angela Bassett not competing that year is exactly what went wrong in 1994. My girl really could have snatched that

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jodemmy
    Topics:

Lange, Spacek and Field basically had the same role, it just came down to who had the strongest movie aka the rural family themed movies. I don’t very much mind Lange’s win, it was inevitable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Sally Field was in the most acclaimed of the three farm wife movies. (and she’s really quite good in the film. I think the you like me speech made the win seem less deserving.

Spacek is barely in The River and nowadays would have been put in supporting. Lange’s film is kind of average and seems like a Lifetime movie nowadays. Plus she may have angered some people by quitting The River to do her own similar farm movie. (The River people were clearly unhappy with her. At the beginning of it the sick cow Spacek is caring for is named Jessica.)

Judy Davis got only mixed reviews and was kind of a surprise nominee. Some people thought her casting was really bad and put the movie off balance. The character is supposed to be very naïve and innocent. Davis comes across as intellectual and sophisticated making some of the film’s events seem odd with her in the lead.

Redgrave was in a dull film and probably still had people mad at her for her speech the time she won.

So Field in the Best Picture and Best Screenplay winner was an easy winner.

The interesting thing I recently found out was that Glenn Close had been cast first in Redgrave’s role in The Bostonians but dropped out to do The Natural instead. I wonder if she would have stood a chance at winning. Part of the reason Field won again was that all the winners (except Davis who wasn’t in contention at all) had recently won.

Close would have been on her third nomination in three years. She might have taken it but The Bostonians is kind of a tedious film so I’m guessing Field still would have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

Her second Oscar win though is < her first Oscar win.

Oh yes, certainly. Her performance in Norma Rae is soooo brilliant and iconic. But in ‘Places of the heart’, she was meh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

I think the you like me speech made the win seem less deserving.

No, not at all. The thing is I found her quite flat in the movie. But since each to his own, good if you liked it. Also, she only won the Golden Globe that year, apart from the Oscar. No other critics group award or even nomination. Vanessa Redgrave got runner-up at the NYFCC and LAFCAA and won at the National Society of Film Critics. Ironically, John Malkovich swept across most critics groups only to lose the Golden Globe (no nomination) and Academy award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Guarnieri
    Topics:

I have never understood why the 1994 competition is so underappreciated. Jessica Lange’s performance is great (much better in a mediocre film). Susan Sarandon also deserved the award (although the film is not extraordinary). As for 1984, Sally Field was certainly good, but nowhere near as good as her magnificent performance in Norma Rae. Jessica Lange did very well in Country as well as Vanessa Redgrave in The Bostonians.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

1984’s lineup: Sally Field, Places in The Heart Judy Davis, A Passage to India Vanessa Redgrave, The Bostonians Jessica Lange, Country Sissy Spacek, The River   1994’s lineup: Jessica Lange, Blue Sky Susan Sarandon, The Client Jodie Foster, Nell Miranda Richardson, Tom & Viv Winona Ryder, Little Women

Looking at this lineup made me once again realize how Hollywood is so cruel to older actresses. All of them should be in leading roles again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ˈdī(ə)mənd ˈtir
    Topics:

My personal winners:

1984 – Frances McDormand, Blood Simple
    1994 – Lauren Vélez, I Like It Like That

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Mia Farrow should have been nominated in 1984 for Broadway Danny Rose. She was unrecognizable.

It’s odd she was ignored when Woody Allen scored a big surprise Best Director nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Not sure how you come away from the ‘84 lineup thinking Redgrave shouldn’t have taken it in a landslide, but that’s just me 🙂

’94 was one of the worst lineups in the history of the category. I think I would’ve given it to Richardson; I’ve never much been a fan of Ryder’s, actually.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.