Home Forums Movies What’s your most disappointing film of 2011 (thus far)?

What’s your most disappointing film of 2011 (thus far)?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
Scottferguson
Carbon Based ..
GoMe91
  • Morgan Henard
    Topics:

I know there are still a slew of films yet to be released, but I was just wondering what some of you fellow posters thought were the most disappointing films of 2011. Now, to be clear, there is a very clear difference in disappointing and just-plain-horrible. Disappointing doesn’t necessarily have to mean Razzie-worthy but just a film you were looking forward to and when the time came it left you completely underwhelmed.

For me, thus far, it was J. Edgar. I’ve looked forward to it since the moment I found out about it. I said all year, “I don’t care what actors turn in great lead performances, Leo is gonna finally get it,” blah blah blah. My least-favorite Eastwood film ever. I remember whispering to my friend next to me and I said, “Oh my gosh, what went wrong?” His reply was, “I don’t know, but I’m kinda bored.”

I also felt Scream 4 could have had a sharper screenplay, and this is pretty obvious to everyone considering its screenwriter, Kevin Williamson, wasn’t on set when filming.

If we were talking just downright wretched bad Razzie-worthy films of 2011, Red Riding Hood gets my vote. Amanda Seyfried might have dodged Razzie bullets for Worst Actress in Mamma Mia and Worst Supporting Actress in Jennifer’s Body, but there’s no way around this one.

What else ya got?

–Morgan 

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

If disappointing means biggest gap between expectations and my reaction, but still could be an OK movie, that would be Werner Herzog’s Cave of Forgotten Dreams, at least seen in 2D. I am a big fan of his documentaries, but this one, despite the amazing subject, seemed underbaked and limited cinematically.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh yes, there are far worse things than Werner Herzog:

THOR or SUPER 8.  Neither were awful, nor were they very good.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

Right now…MELANCHOLIA.

I thought it would be amazing…but I was wrong. The first hour was boring and 40 minutes too long. I completely understand what the diretor was trying to do…but it isn’t ENTERTAINING to watch. After a while I was like, “OK…I get it. She’s unhappy”. And, frankly, I felt more sorry for the wedding guests who had to put up with her shenanigans

The second half was stronger, but still not that great, and still boring. Kirsten Dunst’s character becomes almost useless and irrelevant…and I didn’t really feel a sense of urgency…maybe if there had been more people. Charlotte Gainsbourg tries but…I didn’t get it.

Kirsten Dunst does a good job with what she’s given, but because of the bad filmmaking, I don’t think she should get an Oscar nomination. I suppose the film may deserve a couple tech noms…but the film looked pretty at the expense of a compelling story arc.

I feel silly…everyone else loves this film, but this is just how I fell I guess.  

ReplyCopy URL
    LKMOSCAR
    Topics:

Horrible Bosses and Bridesmaids (I had heard they were hilarious, and neither worked for me).

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Tree of Life – I went in expecting to be blown away because at the time it was very highly acclaimed. Boy was I wrong. It was basically a very, very long power point presentation with pretty pictures that come up when you type in ‘nature’ on Google images. I think time actually slowed down while I was watching this.

Bad Teacher- I thought the trailer was pretty good, and Cameron Diaz looked promising. But the story went no where and I kinda forgot about it after 5 minutes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

Cars 2.

I really  liked the first film. My hopes were high for the second film. I have never walked out of a movie  before, but I did during this one. It was just so  horribly bad!!! I had to walk out or get sick!

ReplyCopy URL
    TrendyHipster
    Topics:

I agree with those already posted (Tree of Life, Melancholia) 

To add another –see Albert Nobbs. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Yikes – how could I forget The Tree of Life/ It’s the most disappointing film I’ve experienced in my life.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Nothing. Everything has turned out exactly as I expected.

ReplyCopy URL
    Leo Grant Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

My most disappointing films of 2011 are:

J. Edgar
    Cowboys & Aliens
    Cars 2
    Happy Feet 2
    Bad Teacher
    In Time 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

‘X-Men: First Class’. I love the first two X-Men films, and this one had so much potential, especially with that great cast (Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Kevin Bacon, etc), yet I left the theater numbed by how disappointed I was. I thought the first half felt like a really long montage, and then the second half was a quasi-comical story of teen outcasts being trained by their older (and in Magneto’s case, grumpier) teachers. Fassbender and McAvoy were good in the lead roles of Magneto and Charles “Professor X” Xavier, but the script unfortunately just was not very good. And for all of Kevin Bacon’s scenary chewing, several of his scenes become laughable due to the many he shares with that beautiful corpse January Jones who just kills any energy he creates. The ending is also so neatly and unnecessarily wrapped up in the last 15 minutes that I was literally laughing at how they tried to make everything just fit right into place. I wanted to love this film, I truly did, but I didn’t even end up liking it.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

The acting in Tree of Life was superb.. That being said, I certainly wouldn’t nominate in BP.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.