Home Forums Movies Which 2010s Acting Winners have had the best and the worst post Oscar Win career

Which 2010s Acting Winners have had the best and the worst post Oscar Win career

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
RIDLEY SCOTT
Miles
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

Based on Will Mavity’s twit, Alicia Vikander comes to my mind as one of the worst and for the best Christian Bale?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by maxinho.
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Best post-career is undoubtedly Octavia Spencer.

Let’s take a look at her credits 3 years before The Help

• Home Health Care Nurse (Seven Pounds)
    • Troubled Woman (The Soloist)
    • DMV Employee (The Big Bang Theory)
    • Bank Co-Worker No. 1 (Drag Me to Hell)
    • Nurse (Halloween II)
    • Detention Room Teacher (Just Peck)

There’s even two roles where her character is her actual name, at least give her an actual character

• Nurse Octavia (The X Files)
    • Octavia – book store customer (Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous)

Her Oscar win was largely seen as character actress finally getting her due now because this will never happen again for her but she’s turned that into two more nominations (so far), the most nominated Black actress in history and first Black woman to be nominated again after winning. She’s willed herself into a movie star. Respect on her name.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Best
    Octavia Spencer
    Christian Bale
    Sam Rockwell
    Olivia Colman

Worst
    Jean Dujardin
    Alicia Vikander
    Casey Affleck
    Matthew McConaughey

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

What happened to Matthew McConaughey’s career.. he hasn’t done anything noticeable in years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Maybe McConaughey’s Oscar was actually a bad thing in the long run, because it effectively ended the “McConaissance”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Davidpres
    Topics:

McConaughey still had Interstellar post Oscar and that was a box office hit.

What happened to Julianne Moore though?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

What happened to Matthew McConaughey’s career.. he hasn’t done anything noticeable in years.

The McConassiance was very contained to these 2-3 years of 2011/12-2014 and True Detective / Interstellar were just really a nice cap off to it, in retrospect.

And it’s partially because of the projects he picks have been drowned in sea of controversy (Sea of Trees, Free State of Jones), or notoriously awful in quality (Serenity, White Boy Rick, Beach Bum), even his attempt to get a franchise was a complete non-starter (Dark Tower).

In his press rounds for his memoir, I don’t recall him ever speaking of anything post-Oscar.

Which is funny because he’s got an near identical female counterpart in Reese Witherspoon.

• Famously southern young actors that break in indie in the 90s.
    • Becomes a mainstream movie in the 2000s thanks to successful rom-coms.
    • Starred critically & commercial flop in the late 00s/early 10s (“Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” / “How Do You Know?“) that effectively killed the rom-com at a both major studio & film.
    • Began a more critically acclaimed 3rd act career arc / reinvention after the co-starring in “Mud“.

The Major being Witherspoon has the business savvy to see where the industry was going (especially for a woman over 40) and began both making her own material and for other(s).

It paid off well since her first two attempts resulted in a Oscar nom for herself and Pike in the same, and her television projects have become so successful it’s eclipse the bad film choices she’s made in that time (Hot Pursuits, Wrinkle in Time etc).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Best post-career is undoubtedly Octavia Spencer. Let’s take a look at her credits 3 years before The Help • Home Health Care Nurse (Seven Pounds) • Troubled Woman (The Soloist) • DMV Employee (The Big Bang Theory) • Bank Co-Worker No. 1 (Drag Me to Hell) • Nurse (Halloween II) • Detention Room Teacher (Just Peck) There’s even two roles where her character is her actual name, at least give her an actual character • Nurse Octavia (The X Files) • Octavia – book store customer (Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous) Her Oscar win was largely seen as character actress finally getting her due now because this will never happen again for her but she’s turned that into two more nominations (so far), the most nominated Black actress in history and first Black woman to be nominated again after winning. She’s willed herself into a movie star. Respect on her name.

OH YES

My sis Octavia spent 15 years hustling and playing unnamed irrelevant roles. The other day I was watching an early episode of Malcolm in The Middle and damn near chocked when I saw my girl playing a damn cashier 💀 . But her hard work paid and she became a STAR

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Vikander. The problem with Vikander was The Fall of Harvey. I hear very weird rumours about Vikander and her husband

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

OH YES

My sis Octavia spent 15 years hustling and playing unnamed irrelevant roles. The other day I was watching an early episode of Malcolm in The Middle and damn near chocked when I saw my girl playing a damn cashier 💀 . But her hard work paid and she became a STAR

I’m a huge Alanis Morissette fan and I tend to watch her music videos constantly and after she started gaining visibility I noticed she was an extra in “Everything”, which is by no means Alanis’ most famous music video and from an album that is not really well remembered. She’s gotten so far and she delivers with so little. I hope I get to see another Oscar for her in the future.

FYC:

Best Actor:
    Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods

Best Actress:
    Sidney Flanigan - Never Rarely Sometimes Always

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

“Winning an Oscar was the death of my career” Cuba Gooding Jr.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

“Winning an Oscar was the death of my career” Cuba Gooding Jr.

Money grab choices were the death of his career.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

In terms of people who’s career’s I kind of follow I feel like every film post Silver Linings Playbook has been either meh, bleh, mediocre, or just outright bad for Jennifer Lawrence. I think she’s a stellar actress, but her movies post-SLP are just bad.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jjene7
    Topics:

What Octavia has been able to do is really astounding. The threads here don’t give her enough credit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

In terms of people who’s career’s I kind of follow I feel like every film post Silver Linings Playbook has been either meh, bleh, mediocre, or just outright bad for Jennifer Lawrence. I think she’s a stellar actress, but her movies post-SLP are just bad.

She had a great project with Spielberg. Cancelled. That same project was almost made with Ridley Scott and Scarlett Johansson but it was cancelled too

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.