Home Forums Movies Which Directors will Get Their First Nominations in the 2020s

Which Directors will Get Their First Nominations in the 2020s

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
braydenfitzsi..
wolfali
Chimichanggas
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There has already been a thread created hypothesising which actors/actresses users think will receive their first Academy Award nominations this decade but I’m wondering about the directors.

Here are my thoughts :

Jessica Hausner – Little Joe may have been a disappointment but Hausner is a well known name in European cinema and with the Academy becoming more diverse in its acceptance of international cinema I can see her getting nominated this decade for an international feature. Or she could just direct an English language feature on par with her Austrian features such as Amour Fou.

Charlie Kaufman – Just a gut feeling.

Ken Loach – I think this decade will mark the Academy’s final chance at rewarding him (with a nomination) and I can totally see him happening.

Martin McDonagh – I don’t think he was far off a nomination with Three Billboards.

Taika Waititi – Again he wasn’t far off with Jojo Rabbit and considering his career isn’t slowing down any time soon I’d say watch this space.

Edgar Wright – Scott Pilgrim was a bit of a box office disaster but Baby Driver really has plunged Wright into a wider more mainstream audience. Combine this with his veteran status in British comedy and his recent interviews showing willingness to explore more experimental and less traditional Wright films I’d say watch this space.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Obviously not all of the following will this decade but based track records, potential and standings within the industry I can see all of the following getting nominated eventually.

Ben Affleck
    Tomas Alfredson
    Pedro Almodovar
    Judd Apatow
    Noah Baumbach
    Sean Baker
    Susanne Bier
    Park Chan-wook
    Lee Chang-dong
    Stephen Chbosky
    Ryan Coogler
    Anton Corbijn
    Ava DuVernay
    Asghar Farhadi
    Stephen Fears
    Dexter Fletcher
    Tom Harper
    Marielle Heller
    Agnieszka Holland
    Armando Inaucci
    Rian Johnson
    Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
    Hirokazu Kore-eda
    Francis Lawrence
    Sebastián Lelio
    Jonathan Levine
    David Lowery
    Melina Matouskas
    Ryan Muprhy
    Lynne Ramsey
    Johan Renck
    Ira Sachs
    Safdie brothers
    Ben Stiller
    Nicolas Winding Refn
    Joe Wright
    Wang Xiaoshuai
    Jia Zhangke
    Chloe Zhao

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Robert Eggers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Obviously not all of the following will this decade but based track records, potential and standings within the industry I can see all of the following getting nominated eventually. Ben Affleck Tomas Alfredson Pedro Almodovar Judd Apatow Noah Baumbach Sean Baker Susanne Bier Park Chan-wook Lee Chang-dong Stephen Chbosky Ryan Coogler Anton Corbijn Ava DuVernay Asghar Farhadi Stephen Fears Dexter Fletcher Tom Harper Marielle Heller Agnieszka Holland Armando Inaucci Rian Johnson Beyoncé Knowles-Carter Hirokazu Kore-eda Francis Lawrence Sebastián Lelio Jonathan Levine David Lowery Melina Matouskas Ryan Muprhy Lynne Ramsey Johan Renck Ira Sachs Safdie brothers Ben Stiller Nicolas Winding Refn Joe Wright Wang Xiaoshuai Jia Zhangke Chloe Zhao

1. If Affleck was snubbed for Argo, I honestly don’t see how they’re going to award him (unless he directs something he isn’t starring in).
    2. He must have been very close last year.
    3. See 2.
    4. I don’t know. Since The Night Manager she seems to have her focus more on Television but I wouldn’t be surprised.
    5. He is an interesting one. Had you asked me a while back who I thought would have won an Oscar first, Bong Joon Ho or Wook I would have said the latter. However the inaccessibility of his films may hamper his chances.
    6. I imagine had The Perks of Being a Wallflower not been about teenagers, he would have been nominated.
    7. I think When They See Us has made her more of one to watch but I sadly think the Academy is going to treat her in the exact same way they treated Spike Lee for many years.
    8. He is easily going to do a Bong Joon Ho isn’t he?
    9. Already had two nominations.
    10. I suspect had he been eligible to be on the ballot for Bohemian Rhapsody he would have gotten in over Pawlikowski.
    11. I feel like he is more likely to win a writing Oscar first than a directing one but I wouldn’t be surprised if he snagged a nomination.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

One of these days, Regina King is gonna direct the right film at the right time, and she will sweep all the awards.

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

One of these days, Regina King is gonna direct the right film at the right time, and she will sweep all the awards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Night_in_Miami_(film)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

1. If Affleck was snubbed for Argo, I honestly don’t see how they’re going to award him (unless he directs something he isn’t starring in).
    2. He must have been very close last year.
    3. See 2.
    4. I don’t know. Since The Night Manager she seems to have her focus more on Television but I wouldn’t be surprised.
    5. He is an interesting one. Had you asked me a while back who I thought would have won an Oscar first, Bong Joon Ho or Wook I would have said the latter. However the inaccessibility of his films may hamper his chances.
    6. I imagine had The Perks of Being a Wallflower not been about teenagers, he would have been nominated.
    7. I think When They See Us has made her more of one to watch but I sadly think the Academy is going to treat her in the exact same way they treated Spike Lee for many years.
    8. He is easily going to do a Bong Joon Ho isn’t he?
    9. Already had two nominations.
    10. I suspect had he been eligible to be on the ballot for Bohemian Rhapsody he would have gotten in over Pawlikowski.
    11. I feel like he is more likely to win a writing Oscar first than a directing one but I wouldn’t be surprised if he snagged a nomination.

1. Not awarded as in winning but nominated, he’s had 10,000 second chances / comebacks in Hollywood and just got career best reviews as a actor for The Way Back and seems to be in avoid place personally with a attitude to get back working. Everything’s he’s directed (minus the disaster that was Live By Night) has gotten an above-the-like nominations so it’s not possible if he pulls out something good again that he’ll be dragged along for the ride as a director.

2. & 3. Agree, after last year with these two it just seems like a matter of “when” not “if”.

4. Her TV work feels like it’s given her more auteur credibility on a larger platform, not sure if will go back to filmmaking this decade but if she does her television work will entice more people to check it out than her prior films would.

6. Absolutely, a intimate character study about mental illness and the long lasting effects of child abuse adapted by the author. Sounds like Oscar bait project if ever there was one. Perks reputation growing in reverence and adoration ever since it’s debut is only going to help him in the future. Wonder was also closer to a Screenplay nomination than a lot realise.

7. Sigh. This is so gonna what’s happen with her isn’t it. At least we can hope

8. Absolutely, he’s the biggest non-American based filmmaker who makes films that aren’t in the English language whom English audiences are excited for and regularly anticipate.

9. Mess at me not realising this.

10. Agreed. He’ll likely get a nomination one day for being the journeyman reliable studio director similar to Ron Howard, Tom Hooper etc.

11. Screenplays wins have almost become consolation prizes in recent years for directors who also wrote their film (Allen, Tarantino, Jones, McKay, McCarthy, Jenkins, Peele, Lee, Waititi), so if / when he does win for screenplay I imagine he would be along for a director nomination as well.

12. She’s already directed two of the most acclaimed films of the decade (Lemonade & Homecoming, three of we count her 2013 self titled visual album), has a clear sense of auteurism (Lemonade was even included in Sight & Sound’s best films of the year), is clearly a better filmmaker than actress, has content distribution deals with both Disney & Netflix so if either wanted to do an awards run with one of future projects it wouldn’t be impossible to picture her going one step beyond the one thing that Streisand could never achieve.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Pedro Almodovar

He was already nominated (and should’ve easily won) for Talk to Her

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Ari Aster and The Safdie Brothers are the only top 2 reasonable choices.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Aster is not happening for his inaccessible horror. Safdies will happen even though they are inaccessible too but they are not horror so easier sell.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ari Aster and The Safdie Brothers are the only top 2 reasonable choices.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

He was already nominated (and should’ve easily won) for Talk to Her

Why I am so bad at remembering past nominees

Forgot

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Ava DuVernay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The2ndAvenger
    Topics:

Definitely Waititi.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Jia Zhangke

The things I would give up… The number of people I would m*rder… This will never happen in a million years, but a girl can dream.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.