Home Forums Movies Which Female Performer Will Define Feature Films in the 2020s?

Which Female Performer Will Define Feature Films in the 2020s?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscarbuff
diego
Which Female Performer Will Define Feature Films in the 2020s?
Cate Blanchett
Scarlett Johansson
Frances McDormand
Lupita Nyong'o
Florence Pugh
Margot Robbie
Saoirse Ronan
Charlize Theron
Zendaya
Other
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well we have one for male performers so why not female?

Comment below with who you think has the best chance of doing so. Especially if you select other.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just realised I included the apostrophe with Lupita. If you would like to vote for her please like this comment.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Margot Robbie

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I just tried to vote for Scarlett Johansson but they won’t not let me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I went with Margot Robbie, with Florence Pugh as the runner-up

The potential on paper of the upcoming David O’ Russell and Damien Chazelle films at the beginning of this decade (Amsterdam and Babylon) put Robbie for now easily ahead of anyone on this list.

I’m also excited to see Scarlett Johansson’s career and choices post Marriage Story/Jojo Rabbit, it seems like she finally got her breakthrough in terms of Oscar nominations after being snubbed many times. I may be wrong, but i feel like she’s finally perceived to be a “serious Oscar actress” so to speak, instead of just the sex symbol/femme fatale of a generation like in the 2000s and until mid 2010s.

Saoirse Ronan instead seems very uninteresting and inconsequential outside of her collaborations with Greta Gerwig (look at Mary Queen of Scots and Ammonite) nor she does seem to be requested that much from good filmmakers aside from her.

So these are the three actresses’s careers i’m more interested to see right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Lupita, Zendaya and Pugh

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I picked Margot Robbie. She is diving headfirst into Oscar vehicles while maintaining to be in big budget projects. She’s only 30 and has a lot left to give

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I think Margot Robbie has peaked. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I voted Zendaya. Not talking about “good” or even “acclaimed” performances- I just think her star power and general choice of projects is going to make her one of, if not the, most memorable actresses of the decade. I’m not a particular fan of hers, didn’t think her Emmy was fully deserved, but this is the opinion I have

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ntaFa
    Topics:

Anya Taylor-Joy seems like a young actor who’s work and presence could define a decade worth of movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

No Jennifer Lawrence? (Has she been retired on this forum…?)

No Jodie Comer?

No Anja Taylor-Joy?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Yeah Anya Taylor joy too

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No Jennifer Lawrence? (Has she been retired on this forum…?) No Jodie Comer? No Anja Taylor-Joy?

There’s an “other” button…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

There’s an “other” button…

Which is the button I used…

I just think it’s surprising that an actress who inarguably dominated the first half of the 2000s and is actually younger than Robbie (if only 6 weeks) isn’t mentioned by name.

Anya Taylor-Joy should be as well with regard to her upcoming roles (Furiosa, Edgar Wright movie etc.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Which is the button I used… I just think it’s surprising that an actress who inarguably dominated the first half of the 2000s and is actually younger than Robbie (if only 6 weeks) isn’t mentioned by name. Anya Taylor-Joy should be as well with regard to her upcoming roles (Furiosa, Edgar Wright movie etc.)

Sorry I was trying to be rude or pedantic!

I guess my lazy excuse is I found it difficult to shortlist haha.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

Zendaya needs to stop playing teenager/highschooler to become that definitive for this decade. Malcolm and Marie looks promising though NGL

I have some names in mind, mostly newcomers or young female performer that isnt included in the polling

Eliza Scanlen. She has played diverse archetype of character despite her short career. If she pick the right project to get involved in and expand her range, she could be that chameleonic and even win an Oscar for playing Psychopath character like in Sharp Objects.

Thomasin McKenzie. Her resume in a relatively short career has been great so far and IMO she has been snubbed twice for Leave No Trace and Jojo Rabbit. Aside from that Shyamalan upcoming movie, her future projects could easily land her multiple Oscar noms and it appears that she has no interests to become sellout (I mean preferring shit huge cashgrab rather than meaty movies). She is pretty diverse with her accent though, already had diverse accent (British, German, Kiwi and American). Not someone with huge star power as for now but she has impeccable range for her age. I still hope that Thomasin will surpass J-Law record as second youngest Oscar winner in lead actress

Elle Fanning. The American, lost sister of Carey Mulligan. One of the most versatile of her generation. A veteran despite only 22 years old, has worked with names like David Fincher, Alejandro Innarittu(despite in relatively small roles), Ben Affleck, Sofia Coppola, Steven Spielberg and Mike Mills. Had her buzz like 4-5 years ago but she begin working in smaller indies like Pattinson probably to kill her Aurora image (LOL) and expand her range. She need to pick the right arthouse oscar bait to be definitive though as for now, some of her Oscar bait turned out to be duds but none of those are her fault. Snubbed for Ginger and Rosa but 2013 was stacked year. She may has less star power than Zendaya, but IMO she is more versatile than Zendaya because of type of her character she has been portrayed so far. Elle need to stop playing British/someone who used British accent though so she will not become the new Gwyneth Paltrow (LOL).

Elizabeth Debicki. IMO she is the Cate Blanchett of her generation. People talks everywhere about Margot Robbie but dude, Debicki is just as good as her. She may doesnt have the same Appeal that Robbie has, but she has that dignity and poise on screen.

Anya Taylor Joy, impeccable range for someone who has been only 5 years in the industry. She could make you love or at least feel sympathetic her character as she did in Queens Gambit,The VVitch and Split/Glass but she could make you despise her chatacter that much like she did in Peaky Blinders

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.