Home Forums Movies Which foreign language film will be the next Parasite in the 2021 Oscar race?

Which foreign language film will be the next Parasite in the 2021 Oscar race?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Robert_Blenheim
BetteDavis
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Susan Wloszczyna
    Topics:

Looking at what international contenders we know now, which could get into the top categories — picture, director, writing and acting.

Why do you think so?

Do you think the voters will recognize more international titles?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There is No Evil. We already know how much the Academy loves Iranian films having awarded the country Best Foreign Language film twice in one decade and I think if the annoying orange returns to the White House the film may have some political relevance that could propel it to top nominations (following its win in Berlin).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ketzi
    Topics:

If there was justice in the world of movies, it would be PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE in all applicable categories — not just Best Foreign Language film, but Best Picture as well, Director and Writing (Celine Sciamma), and Acting (both Noemie Merlant and Adele Haenel).

As long as I live, I’ll never understand why its distributor — also the distributor of PARASITE — did a 1-week qualifying run of PORTRAIT in 2019 when it already knew that its own PARASITE was an unstoppable juggernaut.

The fact that PORTRAIT will now never be recognized by the Oscars (or even the Golden Globes or Spirit Awards, for that matter — both of which it was nominated for, but lost to PARASITE) is a permanent stain on the Academy’s legitimacy and worth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

If there was justice in the world of movies, it would be PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE in all applicable categories — not just Best Foreign Language film, but Best Picture as well, Director and Writing (Celine Sciamma), and Acting (both Noemie Merlant and Adele Haenel). As long as I live, I’ll never understand why its distributor — also the distributor of PARASITE — did a 1-week qualifying run of PORTRAIT in 2019 when it already knew that its own PARASITE was an unstoppable juggernaut. The fact that PORTRAIT will now never be recognized by the Oscars (or even the Golden Globes or Spirit Awards, for that matter — both of which it was nominated for, but lost to PARASITE) is a permanent stain on the Academy’s legitimacy and worth.

Adele should’ve won Best Actress easily.  And the cinematography was the best of the year. An absolutely breathtaking film.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

Amour, Roma and Parasite all at the same decade. That’s a feat! I think we’ll have again another foreign film nominated for BP, but without Cannes to help is so hard to decide which one will be. I’ll just say to keep an eye on Poland.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I don’t expect any foreign films to break through this year, since the 93rd Oscars will be all about huge contenders that got lucky enough to get major studio backing. But there will of course be other foreign nominees and winners in the future, especially with the expanded Best Picture field starting in 2021.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I dont think there is one. Parasite had momentum you could not miss. Did not have to guess anything about it. I have to see a movie come anywhere close to that so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    _m4gnu5_
    Topics:

If anything, maybe Another Round. But probably not. The most that will get is Original Screenplay and Actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

There isn’t going to be one right away. Parasite got its win partially because it had time to ramp up hype – Cannes Palme put it on Oscar voter’s lips, and it had enough time to build up that by the time TIFF came, it had hype and curiosity. This year, for reasons outside of anyone’s control, that cycle just won’t be able to happen.

I think there will be another Parasite this decade, but it is going to take a very well-planned campaign that isn’t countered.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robert Blenheim
    Topics:

“Permanent stain”?    Somewhat an overstatement, don’t you think?  In fact, a darn silly thing to say when the Oscars have had so many idiocies in the past.

Yes, Portrait of a Woman on Fire is a wonderful film.  Really excellent.  But Parasite is a cinematic masterpiece, with incredible performances, top-of-the-line cinematography, unexcelled art direction, brilliant script.  It was a really worthy winner of Best Picture and Best Director.   I mean, it’s not as if some incompetent, sub-par film won!

Ketzi, get over it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robert Blenheim
    Topics:

“Amour”, “Roma” and “Parasite” were easily three of the best films since the millennium.  (And I thought “Roma” was robbed!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

“Permanent stain”? Somewhat an overstatement, don’t you think? In fact, a darn silly thing to say when the Oscars have had so many idiocies in the past. Yes, Portrait of a Woman on Fire is a wonderful film. Really excellent. But Parasite is a cinematic masterpiece, with incredible performances, top-of-the-line cinematography, unexcelled art direction, brilliant script. It was a really worthy winner of Best Picture and Best Director. I mean, it’s not as if some incompetent, sub-par film won! Ketzi, get over it.

There have been many stains on the Academy. Portrait is one.  Parasite still should’ve won, Portrait should’ve been nominated for Actress (×2), Cinematography, screenplay, costumes, and even picture. The fact that it was shut out altogether is embarrassing for the Academy. Not an overstatement at all. They’ve shown that they’re a little local awards show voted on by rich old people in Hollywood hills.

They just bumped the nominees up to 10 which makes me laugh since I doubt most Oscar voters see more than ten films a year.

“Amour”, “Roma” and “Parasite” were easily three of the best films since the millennium. (And I thought “Roma” was robbed!!)

Roma was great, but Shoplifters was absolutely the best Foreign Language Film that year and should’ve been the foreign film to break into Best Picture.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robert Blenheim
    Topics:

I agree. Portrait should have been nominated in some of those categories.  It was a really good film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

As long as I live, I’ll never understand why its distributor — also the distributor of PARASITE — did a 1-week qualifying run of PORTRAIT in 2019 when it already knew that its own PARASITE was an unstoppable juggernaut.

I’m not convinced that holding Portrait over to 2020 would have done it much favour either. While people are preoccupied with covid-19 and its effect on upcoming releases and the future of the industry, Neon would’ve had a job on its hands to get voters to remember a foreign-language film that premiered at Cannes over a year ago. And who’s to say this year’s competition will be any easier to break through? Best Actress, for instance, looks relatively competitive on paper assuming multiple releases are not delayed past February 28th.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.