Home Forums Movies Which historical triumph will happen first in the 2020s?

Which historical triumph will happen first in the 2020s?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Gabe Guarin
M: The Original
John Berchmans
Which historical triumph will happen first in the 2020s?
Black director winning best director (male or female)
Openly LGBT director winning best director
Woman winning best cinematography
Sci-fi/action movie winning best picture*
Animated movie winning best picture
Movie winning best picture and no other major awards (directing, writing, acting
Movie winning best picture and nothing else**
Actor/actress winning both best leading and best supporting role the same year
Other. Which?
Nothing. Everything will remain the same as we've seen.
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

We had that with Into the Spider-Verse, which I really do think would’ve gotten more nominations (including Picture) if it had opened 2 weeks earlier / had to more to to marinate with voters

I don’t think the Academy was ever going to nominate 2 comic-book categories in Best Picture for the first time in the same year, and Black Panther was pretty much a lock at that point.

Also I don’t think Spider-Verse was ever a contender in any other categories. Score and Sound were far too packed (and have had a huge stigma against Animated films since the end of the Pixar glory days), and Screenplay was never a possibility. It deserved to be nominated for Best Original Song, but Sunflower was too mainstream for the Oscar voters: they all turned their noses up at it.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

We had that with Into the Spider-Verse, which I really do think would’ve gotten more nominations (including Picture) if it had opened 2 weeks earlier / had to more to to marinate with voters

I don’t think the Academy was ever going to nominate 2 comic-book categories in Best Picture for the first time in the same year, and Black Panther was pretty much a lock at that point.

Also I don’t think Spider-Verse was ever a contender in any other categories. Score and Sound were far too packed (and have had a huge stigma against Animated films since the end of the Pixar glory days), and Screenplay was never a possibility. It deserved to be nominated for Best Original Song, but Sunflower was too mainstream for the Oscar voters: they all turned their noses up at it.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

It deserved to be nominated for Best Original Song, but Sunflower was too mainstream for the Oscar voters: they all turned their noses up at it.

It unfortunately didn’t even make the shortlist, because I doubt snobby voters would ever have gone for Post Malone like you said

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Grad Hotel (1931/32) already accomplished winning best picture without winning anything else. Of course it couldn’t win anything else since it wasn’t nominated elsewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Hooper is openly gay.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

First Black director winner in best director
    and another nonwhite actress in best actress — for now I’ll assume she’ll be Black but you never know if an Asian or Latina will be the one to walk through the door Halle opened?

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Black director winning (male or female). Barry Jenkins was probably thissss close.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ruby Sparks
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Hooper is openly gay.

Is he??

ReplyCopy URL
    LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

A black director is gonna win. Not a fan of Spike Lee but I think he has a chance. So do Peele and DuVernay (rooting for these 2 actually).

Everything else sounds a little difficult. I really wish a superhero movie wins Best Picture though. Doesn’t have to be a Disney blockbuster but something.

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    SuperStarShapedGummy
    Participant
    Topics:

i think a sci-fi movie will win. there’s been many that have been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

First Black director winner in best director and another nonwhite actress in best actress — for now I’ll assume she’ll be Black but you never know if an Asian or Latina will be the one to walk through the door Halle opened?

Ana. She just needs to play her cards right.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

Grad Hotel (1931/32) already accomplished winning best picture without winning anything else. Of course it couldn’t win anything else since it wasn’t nominated elsewhere.

I**: While it’s true that Grand Hotel won best picture without winning anything else (wasn’t even nominated for anything else), its win corresponds to the early stages of the Oscars when the context and criteria were substantially different to the ones ruling nowadays, so it’s fair to say that no movie has ever won best picture without winning anything else under normal, established circumstances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Maz
    Participant
    Topics:

Queer directors have won the Oscar before, Jerome Robbins, George Cuckor and John Schlesinger. What would be historical is a win for a openly lgbt actor winning an Oscar. Which has never happened before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bird
    Participant
    Topics:

Black director seems likeliest. I would add “two or more women nominated in Director in the same year” and “a director wins for a comic book film”. (I don’t think a comic book film can win on a preferential ballot, but I think one with a ton of passion could take director)

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

What happened this year with Parasite seems more like a nightmare for old white voters than anything on the poll list. So I think there’s hope for any of these happening. Black director seems to be the easiest bet.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.