Home Forums Movies Which studio made the worst Oscars 2020 campaign choices?

Which studio made the worst Oscars 2020 campaign choices?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
5 days ago
Last Reply
4 hours ago
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Babygirl
Cordelia
  • Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

So, the dust has settled on the Oscars 2020. Parasite is the best picture winner.

Now with all that settled, let’s go back to a topic I discussed earlier – studios and distributors and what films they campaigned.

Let’s divide the winners by studio so we can have a winners tally.

Neon

– Best Picture (Parasite)

– Best Director (Parasite)

– Best Original Screenplay (Parasite)

– Best International Film (Parasite)

Sony Pictures

– Best Supporting Actor (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)

– Best Production Design (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)

– Best Costume Design (Little Women)

– Best Animated Short Film (Hair Love)

Universal Pictures

– Best Visual Effects (1917)

– Best Cinematography (1917)

– Best Sound Mixing (1917)

Warner Bros

– Best Actor (Joker)

– Best Original Score (Joker)

Netflix 

– Best Supporting Actress (Marriage Story)

– Best Documentary Feature (American Factory)

Fox

– Best Editing (Ford V Ferrari)

– Best Sound Editing (Ford V Ferrari)

Roadside Attractions

– Best Actress (Judy)

Fox Searchlight

– Best Adapted Screenplay (Jojo Rabbit)

Disney

– Best Animated Feature (Toy Story 4)

Paramount

– Best Original Song (Rocketman)

Lionsgate

– Best Makeup and Hairstyling (Bombshell)

Notably absent studios from any wins include A24, Amazon Studios, Focus Features, and Sony Pictures Classics. 

• This topic was modified 4 days, 15 hours ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

A24 probably made a huge mistake pushing Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse over The Farewell. I and many others thought the previous two films would at least get some above-the-line Oscar love for their performances, but they completely flopped at the precursors. The Farewell did quite well at the critic awards and the Globes though, so I think if A24 focused all their marketing muscle into The Farewell it could have gotten some big noms, or at least a bit of love for Awkwafina.

Universal shit the bed hard by not campaigning for Lupita. She dominated the critic awards and got nominated at CC and SAG. I’m convinced with a stronger campaign she could have made it into the final 5. Sane thing fro Alfre Woodard and Clemency, though you can’t blame Neon for putting all their eggs into the Parasite basket: it paid handsomely for them.

I think a lot of people will say Amazon shit the bed this year, but in my opinion they were just unlikely. All of their films failed to generate significant buzz, most of them (like Late Night and Britiany Runs a Marathon) were flops, some (like Honey Boy) were too artsy for voters, and others were fucked over by bigger movies (like Adam Driver campaigning for Marraige Story over The Report).

For Your Consideration

Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

The case for Netflix is very strong

• Two wins from such a large nomination slate speaks to being spread too thinly
    • The complete failure of the main priority, The Irishman, to get any Oscars, making it the only Best Picture nominee to do so
    • Promoting The Laundromat early on, which wasted resources such as a Venice slot that could have gone to other key slate films
    • Dolemite Is My Name’s complete collapse and no-show on nominations morning
    • Marriage Story underperforming at precursors, and failing to stop steamroll frontrunner momentum in lead performance categories
    • Arguably overpromoting The Two Popes, which failed to get a Best Picture nomination but took a Best Actor slot that could have gone to Robert De Niro for the Irishman

Their cup was overflowing with potential and they failed to focus down on a specific angle well enough. Perhaps this could have been the year of Netflix’s Best Picture if they made smarter decisions.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 15 hours ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Film expert
    Participant
    Topics:

A 24

They changed their campaign focus last minute from The Farewell to Uncut Games couse of critics reaction yo the latter. Extreme naivety, it’s not Academy’s cup of tea by a mile.

They burried Farewell chances in the procces.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

A24 probably made a huge mistake pushing Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse over The Farewell. I and many others thought the previous two films would at least get some above-the-line Oscar love for their performances, but they completely flopped at the precursors. The Farewell did quite well at the critic awards and the Globes though, so I think if A24 focused all their marketing muscle into The Farewell it could have gotten some big noms, or at least a bit of love for Awkwafina.

I think Uncut Gems promotion was a big mistake – that’s a good film but way too intense and alienating for Oscars voters. I maintain that if The Lighthouse was the A24 priority over Uncut Gems, it would have at least gotten a Dafoe nomination and maybe an Original Screenplay nomination given that category was weak this year and this film has a stylised dialect.

The Farewell is an interesting case because arguably that film was never planned to even be in the conversation for Oscars but after Waves (A24’s The Laundromat in terms of being an early underperforming overestimated contender), it had a chance. I think if it had been released in November, it might have had more of a chance, though A24 clearly put promotion into Awkwafina getting a nomination.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll never forgive Sony for opting not to campaign Asier at all. An unknown needs a campaign and Antonio was only ever going to waffle about Pedro in his speeches…

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

A24- The summer release date was the nail in the farewell’s coffin. And them mainly pushing uncut gems over other award friendly movies like farewell and the lighthouse.

Netflix- They had too many irons in the fire. Netflix getting 21 nominations but only two wins is kinda embarassing. They need to pick one movie and put all of their award horsepower toward that film.

Paramount- Im not sure what happen with rocketman. I didnt expect it to be an huge nominated movie or even a best picture contender, but I did expect it to get more than song. This year, they have the Aaron sorkin movie The trial of the chicago 7. If this movie turns out great, I hope it can become a best picture contender. Its September 25th release is definitely more awards friendly than may.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

The case for Netflix is very strong

• Two wins from such a large nomination slate speaks to being spread too thinly
    • The complete failure of the main priority, The Irishman, to get any Oscars, making it the only Best Picture nominee to do so
    • Promoting The Laundromat early on, which wasted resources such as a Venice slot that could have gone to other key slate films
    • Dolemite Is My Name’s complete collapse and no-show on nominations morning
    • Marriage Story underperforming at precursors, and failing to stop steamroll frontrunner momentum in lead performance categories
    • Arguably overpromoting The Two Popes, which failed to get a Best Picture nomination but took a Best Actor slot that could have gone to Robert De Niro for the Irishman

Their cup was overflowing with potential and they failed to focus down on a specific angle well enough. Perhaps this could have been the year of Netflix’s Best Picture if they made smarter decisions.

I think Netflix’s failure had more to do with the film’s themselves than how they were promoted.

The Irishman is another generic Scorcese mob movie with only 50% of an interesting script: the rest is bloated filler that didn’t need to add to an already ridiculous runtime. I doubt most Oscar voters even saw it all the way through before getting bored, and the ones who did didn’t find there to be anything remarkable: hence the many nominations but zero wins.

As for Marriage Story, I think that film was great, but it suffered from a familiar story that voters had already seen (and rewarded before with Kramer vs Kramer). The best part of Marriage Story was the performances, but this was such a competitive year for the acting categories that Driver and Johansson got crowded out. I think in most other years Driver, Johansson, and Dern would have all won for this film.

The Two Popes was lucky to even get as many nominations as it did after its complete guild shutout, and The Laundromat, from the outside looking in, seemed like easily their 3rd strongest contender, so of course they were going to promote it. I’d argue Netflix’s only failure was not promoting Dolemite stronger. The fact that it didn’t even get nominated for Costumes or Makeup is very disappointing.

For Your Consideration

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I maintain that if The Lighthouse was the A24 priority over Uncut Gems, it would have at least gotten a Dafoe nomination and maybe an Original Screenplay nomination given that category was weak this year and this film has a stylised dialect.

The Lighthouse was never going to get an Original Screenplay nomination. The Farewell and Uncut Gems both had a better shot, as did Booksmart and Ford v Ferrari. The Lighthouse was only ever a contender for Dafoe and the Cinematography.

And them mainly pushing uncut gems over other award friendly movies like farewell and the lighthouse.

The Lighthouse was not more awards friendly than Uncut Gems. It just had Cinematography that the Acadeny couldn’t ignore, but that was it

Paramount- Im not sure what happen with rocketman. I didnt expect it to be an huge nominated movie or even a best picture contender, but I did expect it to get more than song. This year, they have the Aaron sorkin movie The trial of the chicago 7. If this movie turns out great, I hope it can become a best picture contender. Its September 25th release is definitely more awards friendly than may.

Paramount is too busy trying to stave off bankrupcy to launch massive awards campaigns nowadays.

For Your Consideration

ReplyCopy URL
    smindymix
    Participant
    Topics:

Clearly Netflix lol. They need to take a deep drink and quench that thirst, it’s embarrassing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

A24 is the only correct answer.

ReplyCopy URL
    LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Disney. So disappointing.

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Correct me if I am wrong.

Paramount Pictures is oldest major film studio and it has been very silent recently in terms of Oscar game.

What happened?

• This reply was modified 23 hours ago by  Hammad Asif.
    • This reply was modified 22 hours, 59 minutes ago by  Hammad Asif.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

ReplyCopy URL
    Ruby Sparks
    Participant
    Topics:

Correct me if I am wrong. Paramount Pictures is oldest major film studio and it has been very silent recently in terms of Oscar game. What happened?

this. They had ROCKETMAN this year and for whatever reason, it got lost in the shuffle. Not sure if I blame them, after all, Taron Egerton and Elton John were making the rounds this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess the easy answer is any studio that went nomination-less, but that’s a development slate issue mostly. Either you have the content or you don’t. You either resonate or you don’t. I’m sure that the collective view at Neflix is one of disappointment at still not claiming the big prize. I know the talk of the town right now is Neon, and it really managed the impossible. Give credit where credit is due. But this studio’s smallness and single-mindedness that propelled “Parasite” to historic heights did so at the expense of “Clemency,” which irks me to no end. A larger, more established studio could have made even more strides. It’s coming soon rather than later for Neon, which is exciting if the momentum is maintained moving forward.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.