Home Forums Movies Which was a bigger upset: Hopkins 2020 or Colman 2018?

Which was a bigger upset: Hopkins 2020 or Colman 2018?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
M: The Original
methaddiction
boredandricho..
Which was a bigger upset: Hopkins 2020 or Colman 2018?
Anthony Hopkins defeating Chadwick Boseman in 2020
74 votes (41.81%)
Olivia Colman defeating Glenn Close in 2018
103 votes (58.19%)
  • Profile picture
    PM94
    Topics:

She did not, she also lost critics choice to glenn & gaga.

Right, but in terms of individual critics awards, Colman had received a majority of the accolades.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Colman bc it was so unexpected at the time. We had her as the blueprint for what happened this year with Boseman and Hopkins. One either paid the comparison dust and ended looking the fool or took it to heart and called it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jercooks
    Topics:

I was more shocked that Colman won. In retrospect, I should have seen the signs that she would upset Glenn, but I dismissed her GG win because Glenn had a fantastic speech, and I thought BAFTA was doing it’s British thing.

Glenn had the overdue narrative going on, and despite being the movie’s sole nomination, I thought she would win because Julianne Moore was in the same boat a couple of years before.

Also, Olivia Colman had a relatively low profile stateside and was unable to campaign properly because of filming obligations for The Crown.

I think a lot people thought that if there was an upset, it would be Gaga.

On the other hand, many people thought Boseman would win, but in the last couple of weeks there was an Anthony Hopkins upset brewing. The anonymous ballots were also tilting towards him. It’s still a shock that Chadwick lost, not surprised that it was to Hopkins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Only one category was thought to be such a sure bet they broke decades of tradition to schedule around it. There’s your answer

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Predicted both of these and Colman was definitely a bigger upset. As someone said, Colman vs Close was the blueprint for this race so I was generally more at ease with my Hopkins prediction.

No expert, editor or top 24 user predicted Colman. She had nearly the same number of people predicting her as Lady Gaga smh. More people here predicted Spike Lee to win director or Richard E Grant to upset in supporting.

What makes her upset even better is the fact that The Favourite was literally tanking that night after losing the three awards it was actually expected to win. That win truly was a moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

I predicted them both hehe. But i think Hopkins’ is a bigger upset to people since everyone was so focused on chadwick’s sure win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What makes her upset even better is the fact that The Favourite was literally tanking that night after losing the three awards it was actually expected to win. That win truly was a moment.

The way The Favourite deserved to sweep…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

The way The Favourite deserved to sweep…

please I will never be over of them losing that many awards that night starting with screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

I never really processed the fact these performances could’ve gone Oscar-less because of sympathy narratives, two very good decisions from the voters.

As for who’s upset was bigger, Hopkins was. He wasn’t considered for a second whilst Chadwick was sweeping. However Colman won the musical / comedy globe early on & everyone knew she was likely to win BAFTA.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

please I will never be over of them losing that many awards that night starting with screenplay

It bothers me so much how it doesn’t have the screenplay oscar

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way The Favourite deserved to sweep…

They really had to go with Driving Miss Daisy round 2…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

People really need to forget about narratives, the Academy just don’t care, if you like what they choose good bu if you don’t, screw you is their choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Neither. Close came from a boring film. Hopkins was not a surprise to me and I picked him as soon as I saw the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Colman because Hopkins we knew was happening thanks to the former incident

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luke Dias
    Topics:

Personal bias: Colman

Awards trajectory: Hopkins

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.