Home Forums Movies Which was a bigger upset: Hopkins 2020 or Colman 2018?

Which was a bigger upset: Hopkins 2020 or Colman 2018?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
M: The Original
methaddiction
boredandricho..
Which was a bigger upset: Hopkins 2020 or Colman 2018?
Anthony Hopkins defeating Chadwick Boseman in 2020
74 votes (41.81%)
Olivia Colman defeating Glenn Close in 2018
103 votes (58.19%)
  • Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Colman set the precedent so her

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I would say Colman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

People were less shocked about the Hopkins upset exactly because of the Colman upset.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way I stanned both of these performances to the galaxies but I thought predicting them was a hope-diction against the bigger narrative.

I need to be cautious about future Bosemans and Closes.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Colman was expected to win BAFTA and GG but definetely not the Oscar. It was a complete shocker.

This year, on the other hand, altho Chadwick was still the frontrunner, there was much more conversation of a possible Hopkins’ upset.

So, yeah Colman was certanly more surprising.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

Hindsight is 20/20, or at least it should be, because I still predicted Boseman.

I was shocked when Olivia won because she wasn’t campaigning. Yet that was when I knew that BAFTA was important as all hell.

So I was a lot more prepared for a Hopkins win even though I thought I predicted Boseman.

Movie-lover overall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

She won Comedy Actress at Critics Choice.

How many times do I have to say that that award doesn’t matter a damn bit?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

Colman obviously had been gaining steam after BAFTA and I maybe would have gone out on a limb and predicted her if it wasn’t for her not campaigning because of The Crown filming and some family issues. Sony Pictures Classics should have released The Wife in November instead of August because A Star Is Born and then The Favourite eclipsed any chance of her controlling the race through the fall.

Hopkins winning over Boseman was a surprise but I knew it was possible- this season was so crazy though so upsets didn’t have a huge impact although I was surprised that McDormand won again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Colman, because there was a 3rd competitor. For a while it seemed as if it was a Close vs. Gaga race and Colman was like a non-factor and/or maybe not the person from The Favourite everyone loved the most (I did though. Colman was totally the best for me in the film).

With Boseman, there was no other competitor who captured the conversation except Hopkins (could’ve been Riz but wasn’t).

Interestingly in both cases I do feel sad for Close & Boseman because they’re neck-in-neck for me, but who can deny Colman & Hopkins…just…WHO

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zzzzz
    Topics:

I voted Hopkins. Even though Colman seemed like more of an upset whereas we started to wonder about Hopkins after BAFTA. The truth is Best Actress was a real race and The Wife had limited support. Colman was always a possibility due to winning the Globe and BFCA in comedy (the latter meaning the Gaga/Glenn BFCA tie was essentially meaningless) and then the BAFTA. It was like Marion Cotillard vs. Julie Christie. But Anthony had only one major precursor and also had to siphon off support from Riz Ahmed. So thanks to Olivia, we were more able to “see it coming” with Hopkins, because we knew Ma Rainey’s support was soft, but The Favourite absolutely dominated at BAFTA and wasn’t competing against Chad’s narrative. This was more of an upset statistically.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

As a feeling I was way more shocked watching Colman’s win but statistically it’s Hopkins because he didn’t win much critics compared to Boseman, lost AACTA and London unlike Colman and went to the race with just BAFTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I did not see Colman’s upset coming at all, even though she technically had more precursors.

I did know that Hopkins was winning, largely due to Colman’s win. So Colman was the bigger upset.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

In theory Anthony was the bigger upset, but personally I was more surprised by Olivia’s win. Going into the ceremony in 2019 I was 90% certain Glenn would take it, and I became even more confident after The Favourite had lost EVERYTHING including Screenplay, Costumes and Production Design. When more people started to see The Father and were raving it (look at those audience scores!!) and Anthony took the BAFTA I felt somewhat confident that he would win in the end. The screenplay win over Nomadland early in the night also kept the race alive.

I’m sorry but there’s absolutely no way anyone could have watched all those performances nominated in that Actor lineup and not have voted for Hopkins. His performance felt undeniable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Neither is an upset. The only uspetting thing is that Coleman and Hopkins weren’t sweeping. Because non-AMPAS bodies bought into media-created “narratives” and thought that was how AMPAS felt. Fortunately, BAFTA and AMPAS made the right calls because they awarded performances not manufactured narratives that tried to distract from the fact neither performance was the best in their category.

Narratives are part of Oscar race influencing. And as such, they have a sway only on those who follow media and social media and think that’s the reflection of the industry (the AMPAS membership part). I guess most of AMPAS members couldn’t care less. So they are not going to keep a record of how many nominations Close had or how many wins McDormand had or how many Oscars this or that minority group won per Lead category, etc.

Hopkins is a bone fide legend. Everyone knows it so he didn’t need media to re-write history and try to sell him as one. Boseman was not. The attempt to big him up as if he was Denzel/Smith/Freeman/Poitier stature failed. Industry knows that he was not but, most importantly, his performance wasn’t even the second best. Hopkins and Ahmed were better and were in better movies. He wasn’t due to win and audience didn’t care about his narrative and whether he would win or not hence under 10M viewers for the telecast that was expected to crown him.

Close has super spotty record. yes, it sucks that she missed for great movies and iconic roles that stood the test of time (Fatal Attraction, Dangerous Liaisons), but now she’s wallowing in desperate Oscar baiting poop (Alfred Noobs, The Wife, Hillbilly) that gets no support aparat from bone throwing nom for her.

So the upset was that these mediocrities managed to keep the veener of winning until they were rightfully BTFO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Actually Colman.

We had heard so many anonymous voters choosing Hopkins over Boseman so it’s the idea that everyone had been suspicious about but had had in minds.

I can still feel how people were surprised at Colman’s win over Close in that winning video. Truly amazing!

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.