Home Forums Movies Who deserved to win Best Supporting Actress in 2008?

Who deserved to win Best Supporting Actress in 2008?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
estrelas
Bassett
M: The Original
Who deserved to win Best Supporting Actress in 2008?
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There.
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Tilda was a perfectly fine winner. I love legend Ruby Dee but that SAG win was a mess

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

2008 was basically a copy of 2001. Every precursor had a different winner. The only difference is that Tilda actually won a precursor unlike Marcia Gay Harden.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by estrelas.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Not much of a contest when Jude is there, but I’m happy that Swinton has an Oscar nonetheless

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    shedidnothing92
    Topics:

For as much as this forum complains about “nothing” or subtle performances, I’m surprised Tilda Swinton’s win doesn’t get more hate. I watched Michael Clayton after she won the Oscar and spent the whole movie waiting for her to have a “scene” that would make me think “Ahh ok that’s why she won.” That scene never came! Is it at the end when Michael Clayton surprises her? What about this performance is so uniquely deserving of acclaim?

Saoirse should have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

I’m going against the precursors but I think Saoirse gave the best performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

For as much as this forum complains about “nothing” or subtle performances, I’m surprised Tilda Swinton’s win doesn’t get more hate. I watched Michael Clayton after she won the Oscar and spent the whole movie waiting for her to have a “scene” that would make me think “Ahh ok that’s why she won.” That scene never came! Is it at the end when Michael Clayton surprises her? What about this performance is so uniquely deserving of acclaim? Saoirse should have won.

She had a very complex character. It’s not an obvious performance. But she was absolutely amazing. People who usually prefer loud performances will say she did nothing but she was great in the role.  I think the scene that gave her the Oscar was the bathroom breakdown.  Saoirse didn’t had a ‘scene’ and she was amazing as well. But Tilda deserved it. Was the best performance of her career? Obviously not but 2007 wasn’t a particular strong year for Supporting Actress. In fact Tilda, Saoirse and Amy deserved to win. The Academy preferred Tilda and she deserved it. Just as the other two would have.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Tilda!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

For as much as this forum complains about “nothing” or subtle performances, I’m surprised Tilda Swinton’s win doesn’t get more hate. I watched Michael Clayton after she won the Oscar and spent the whole movie waiting for her to have a “scene” that would make me think “Ahh ok that’s why she won.” That scene never came! Is it at the end when Michael Clayton surprises her? What about this performance is so uniquely deserving of acclaim?

Saoirse should have won.

And this is the scene they showed at the
    Academy Awards ceremony when presenteting Oscar clips of the nominees was when Michael Clayton surprises her at the end of the movie…. I agree about Saoirse

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by karls.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by karls.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Amy Ryan and it’s not even close

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Amy Ryan. I also like Tilda Swinton.

Saoirse Ronan does nothing noteworthy, and Ruby Dee’s SAG win for slapping Denzel Washington is funny, but I’m glad she’s an Oscar nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Easily Ryan. Blanchett is a close second. Swinton was good, but not quite as great as the others. Saoirse was fine, but hampered by her film. Dee should have been replaced by Keener, who was the standout of her film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I say between Tilda and Amy.

Blanchet and Dee should have not been nominated, but I guess the nomination was a career honor for Dee.

Jurnee Smollett should have been a nominee for The Great Debaters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Tilda was a perfectly fine winner. I love legend Ruby Dee but that SAG win was a mess

Her SAG win was on brand for them. I was heartbroken for her when she didn’t win. But in retrospect since they have yet to nominate Swinton again, I’m glad she won. The Academy’s fault for not giving Dee an honorary after that ceremony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I voted for Swinton because she does do well in a complex role plus that famous final scene is an absolute marvel in my opinion. Her panic and insecurity feel so measured despite the fact you can tell she is on the verge of collapse.

Having said that, I would need to see Ryan again because she was also great plus I LOVE her as an actress and wish she would get more high profile roles.

Ronan was very good in ATONEMENT so I have no problem with the nomination.

I’m more iffy on Blanchett.

Dee had no business being nominated.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.