Home Forums Movies Who do you think was second etc. in 1977 Best Supporting Actress race?

Who do you think was second etc. in 1977 Best Supporting Actress race?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Aunt Peg
Macca
Andrew Carden
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I wrote a flashback article on this year today.

Even if they wanted to snub Redgrave due to the controversy it would have been hard to find a replacement.

I’d guess Quinn Cummings was probably second. She was in a popular film and they did give one to Tatum.

Then I guess Tuesday Weld? Not sure. It was kind of a comeback role for her, no?

Then Melinda Dillon I guess and lastly Leslie Browne (who just danced and was pretty as far as a remember.)

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

If I had to say;

2. Dillon
    3. Cummings
    4. Browne
    5. Weld

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

Impossible to say in this case because as you say there was no one close to Redgrave. Though it terms of deserving the award Weld is a very close second for me after Redgrave.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I cannot recall which publication did this (Entertainment Weekly, maybe?) but in 2007, there was a piece on the 30th anniversary of this ceremony. Cummings was interviewed and mentioned how, on the heels of Tatum O’Neal’s victory, many folks in the industry kept telling her she was on the verge of upsetting Redgrave, in part due to the latter’s politics.

I suspect she was indeed runner-up, albeit probably a distant second, followed by Browne, Weld and Dillon. (Oddly enough, Dillon would be my preference of the five.)

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis (and my annual Oscar predictions contest), please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t buy Cummings because outside of age, her role and Tatum’s are nothing alike. O’Neal was essentially a leading role. She’s in 90% of the movie, and she plays big-for-her-britches in a way that steals the movie time and time again. She also benefited from the irresistible notion of being a talented 2nd-gen Hollywood kid.

Cummings is perfectly fine as a cute daughter with some one-liners, but she’s not a lead, she’s not a scene-stealer, and she’s not the best performance in the film. She also has a far narrower range of emotions that are demanded of her than O’Neal. She’s perfectly fine, but nothing that stands out as unique.

Weld would’ve benefited from having a much larger career leading up to the awards, which some of the industry insiders would’ve found appealing. Dillon would’ve benefited from being attached to a movie that was popular across every branch (CEot3K had 8 nods total, including Best Director). Runner-up would’ve been one of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny how Cummings said she was told she’d win since Tatum won. Jodie Foster said the opposite. She said she was told she wouldn’t win for Taxi Driver because they weren’t going to give it to another kid.

(plus there was all that controversy that people said it was unfair for Tatum to win because she was just a kid and did what the director and her father told her—–always seemed like a dumb argument to me. You judge the final product. Who cares how they got there? I’m sure there are many adult Oscar winners who only got to the podium based on stuff the director told them to do.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Cummings and The Goodbye Girl were terrific back in 1977 back I rewatched The Goodbye Girl for the first since about 12 months ago and the only thing in the film that holds up the performance by Richard Dreyfuss.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.