Home Forums Movies Who was the favorite in the 2002 Best Actress race going into the ceremony?

Who was the favorite in the 2002 Best Actress race going into the ceremony?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
RobertPius
Joe Burns
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Kidman won the Globe but Zellweger took both Globe and SAG. I sort of remember Kidman still being the favorite going into the ceremony. Am i wrong?

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

She was the favorite going in. There wasn’t a strong sense that Renee could win.
    It’s interesting that Chicago took down The Hours in top tier wins. But so much interest in Kidman’s “nose” didn’t hurt her.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I personally was rooting for Julianne Moore

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I personally was rooting for Julianne Moore

She’s so good in Far From Heaven! In supporting I had my fingers crossed for Kathy Bates, even though I knew that wasn’t happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

There was a sense that the industry wanted to honor Nicole instead of Renee especially with Chicago already being predicted to sweep up a bunch of categories anyway.

Moore should have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Nicole’s train station scene was never losing an Oscar. I’m a proud Kidmaniac.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Plus Kidman was coming off a really strong 2001 with two excellent performances in Moulin Rouge and The Others. (and yes she had the divorce sympathy factor that she handled with a lot of class.)

It is surprising though that she lost SAG.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Plus Kidman was coming off a really strong 2001 with two excellent performances in Moulin Rouge and The Others. (and yes she had the divorce sympathy factor that she handled with a lot of class.)

It is surprising though that she lost SAG.

This may be way off but at the time it seemed like her famous split caused a rift in the voting. That S SAG…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

He was really trying to emulate that Scorsese overdue narrative achieved with The Departed, I’m so glad Chicago won though.

Chicago came before The Departed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

I can’t believe Julianne Moore (Far From Heaven) and Meryl Streep (Adaptation) didn’t win that year. These are the rarest of performances – subtle, beautifully created, vulnerable. All due respect to Kidman, but she doesn’t even come close.

Somebody mentioned the BAFTA. BAFTA alone has not pushed a lead actress winner, but Globe + BAFTA appears to be unbeatable. Since BAFTA’s move to the precursor stage in 2000, no actress has lost the Oscar after winning this combination. The list of actresses who didn’t have SAG includes: Kidman, Cotillard, la Streep, Colman. All except for la Streep defeated an actress with the Globe + SAG combo. Streep defeated an actress with SAG alone. This is quite strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Pulp
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Kidman’s performance but I just wanna take this chance to say I really wish Renee had won so we didn’t have to pretend like she deserves a win now for Judy.

#FreeTheBannedFour

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

The race kept changing quite often. Up until the Globes, Julianne Moore was the heavy favourite to win everything. Once the Globes went for Kidman, it all changed. Then Chicago was appreciated more and more and Zellweger was brought into the discussion.

Even though Zellweger won the SAG (very weird in retrospect), there was so much love for Kidman: her role was typical Oscar bait, the movie was universally loved, she lost the year before, she came off rather well in the Cruise divorce. All factors in, she had it in the bag.

I remember, however, that it wasn’t all so unanimous as it now seems. Chicago came in hard and loud and there were many people predicting a Zellweger victory, mostly based on the immense popularity of the movie (less based on her performace).

And at the end, my two cents: Julianne Moore gave a brilliant performance and it was a pity for me that everybody had forgotten about her and it became Zellweger vs. Kidman.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.