Home Forums Movies Who was your Best Actress of 1962?

Who was your Best Actress of 1962?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
Emmyfan
BICTH
Milk Money
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The Academy Award nominees were:

Anne Bancroft, The Miracle Worker
    Bette Davis, What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?
    Katharine Hepburn, Long Day’s Journey Into Night
    Geraldine Page, Sweet Bird Of Youth
    Lee Remick, Days Of Wine and Roses

Other strong actress performances were: (I am aware that several of these films were released in 1961 but were eligible in 1962 due to their U.S. release dates)

Harriet Andersson, Through a Glass Darkly
    Joan Crawford, What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?
    Shirley Jones, The Music Man
    Deborah Kerr, The Innocents
    Janet Margolin, David and Lisa
    Lee Remick, Experiment in Terror
    Rosalind Russell, Gypsy
    Rita Tushingham, A Taste Of Honey

Add others that you thought were especialy worthy from 1962!

Out of who was nominated I would pick: BETTE DAVIS in WHAT EVER HAPPNED TO BABY JANE? (all five were fantastic perfromances!)

It’s so tough paring this down to only five, I have to cut several really deserving nominees but my top five are: Joan Crawford, Bette Davis,Katharine Hepburn, Deborah Kerr, and Geraldine Page

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

here’s a sentence that’ll probably get my gay card revoked: I’ve never cared for baby jane. hepburn wins this one easily for me

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Katharine Hepburn

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

Quite an impressive list, but even though I am a huge Bette Davis fan, her performance in Baby Jane didn’t do it for me. She’s good in it, for sure, but the whole set-up is so campy that it does not translate to Oscar gold for me.

The other four are all equally great; Bancroft was a worthy winner. She would have been my second choice, after Lee Remick (who didn’t stand a chance); then Hepburn (who also didn’t stand a chance), and then Page.

My winner this year is Leslie Caron for The L-Shaped Room (eligiable for the 1963 Oscar) with Monica Vitti in L’Eclisse a close second (not sure when her movie was eligable but probably also 1963). Then I have Bancroft & Remick in there with Corinne Marchand in Cleo de 5 a 7 (whose movie was probably also not eligiable) rounding it up. I think Marchand bumped Rosalind Russell off my list – weird that she wasn’t nominated. I think she was closer to being nominated than Joan Crawford, who at the end of the day, wasn’t as respected as Davis.

I consider Deborah Kerr immensely overrated in The Innocents (and yet I nominate her in 1961) and Rita Tushingam I considered quite annoying. I nominate Harriet Andersson in 1961 as well. And while we’re at it – in 1961 you also find Hepburn (Breakfast at Tiffany’s) and Page (Summer and Smoke) in my line-ups, all beautifully crushed by Monroe in The Misfits. Sophia Loren is not in that line-up for her oscar winning performance, but she takes the cake in 1960. So confusing …

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I have a really unusual pick for Best Actress of 1961 but i stand by it: HAYLEY MILLS in THE PARENT TRAP! One of the greatest dual performances ever!

I chose year of eligibility on purpose to avoid confusion.

While Kate was great the problem I had with her movie was the miscasting of Ralph Richardson, who upset the balance of the film and kiept taking me out of the movie. Dean Stockwell gave my favorite performance in the movie.

I was torn between Harriet Andersson and Joan Crawford, but chose the latter because she held her own in the masochistic role for my fifth slot.

I think this might be my very favorite Geraldine Page film performance (I saw her on the stage several times late in her life)

I wasn’t all that crazy about Anne Bancroft’s performance. IDK why. Preferred Patty Duke.

Mary Badham and Patty Duke were both lead actresses slumming in the Supporting Actress category.

Bette Davis is my all-time favorite golden age of Hollywood actress (along with the never nominated Myrna Loy). She is campy, yes, but she is also very human and makes such fascinating choices. I have seen Baby Jane dozens of times and never tire of it. It’s a fun movie!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Bette

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

Geraldine Page in “Sweet Bird of Youth”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

Hands down 1962 is one of the most solid sets of nominees ever.

My lineup matches the Academy 4/5. Although Remick was fantastic, I replaced her with Jeanne Moreau in “Jules et Jim”, which was eligible for Oscars in 1962. I agree with Bancroft for the win. Although it’s painful not to choose either Davis or Hepburn. Page was always solid for a nomination but could never approach my win with the three above in the mix.

Since 1961 was mentioned earlier comments. Here’s my ballot that year…
    Harriet Anderson, “Through a Glass Darkly” (*winner*)
    Vivien Leigh, “The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone”
    Claudia McNeil, “A Raisin In the Sun”
    Geraldine Page, “Summer and Smoke”
    Natalie Wood, “Splendor In the Grass”

Sophia Loren makes my 1960 nominees. Love Audrey Hepburn, but couldn’t find room for her. I think Piper Laurie is a great actress, but I never cared for her work in “The Hustler”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

here’s a sentence that’ll probably get my gay card revoked: I’ve never cared for baby jane. hepburn wins this one easily for me

Hand over your gay card right now!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I have watched all five of these performances and I go back and forth between Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn. Katharine’s performance is haunting to me, but Bette went all out in this one.

This is one in which I would have paid money to see the results.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Of the nominees, the right performance won.

Of the performances that year, Harriett Andersson was the best

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

This seriously is a killer lineup. The fact that Lee Remick is in fifth here is kind of an impressive feat considering if she had been nominated the next year, she could’ve won in a cakewalk.

Anne Bancroft is a great winner but even so, she is my third choice in this category.

#1-Katharine Hepburn (this might be my favorite performance of hers and I do come with a particular bias that I love this particular play…but she NAILED this role).

#2-Bette Davis (this is the definitive “camp” role. She absolutely killed every single facet and made every moment work despite how over the top it was.)

#3-Anne Bancroft (an absolutely lovely performance from a gifted actress)

#4-Geraldine Page (one of the greatest character actresses ever giving a performance well suited to her great eccentricities)

#5-Lee Remick (an underrated actress giving a very dark performance…but she was always so luminous no matter what)

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

1. Bette Davis
    2. Anne Bancroft
    3. Geraldine Page
    4. Katherine Hepburn
    5. Lee Remick

This lineup is among the strongest of the 1960s. I agree that any of these actresses could have won the following year. Page won the Globe, Hepburn won Cannes, Bancroft won the Tony and Davis had the comeback narrative. Davis is my slight favorite because she elevated the campy aspects of her film with her sheer balls to the wall dedication.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Army Of Me.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Army Of Me.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Killer lineup, but I’ll go with the actual winner Bancroft. Joan Crawford, who shoulda been nominated, most likely would have been pushed for supporting today.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

1. Katharine Hepburn, Long Days Journey Into Night
    2. Geraldine Page, Sweet Bird of Youth
    3. Anna Karina, My Life to Live
    4. Bette Davis, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
    5. Joan Crawford, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.