Home Forums Movies Who was your Best Actress of 1978?

Who was your Best Actress of 1978?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Aunt Peg
JayDF
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The Oscar nominees were:

Ingrid Bergman, Autumn Sonata
    Ellen Burstyn, Same Time, Next Year
    Jill Clayburgh, An Unmarried Woman
    Jane Fonda, Coming Home
    Geralidne Page, Interiors

5 others:

Genevieve Bujold, Coma
    Glenda Jackson, Stevie (released in L.A. in 1978)
    Melanie Mayron, Grilfriends
    Romy Schneider, A Simple Story
    Liv Ullmann, Autumn Sonata

Or perhaps some other actress?

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

This is actually really hard.

I would probably give it to Ingrid Bergman but I do want to give a shout out to Jill Clayburgh, who was fabulous.

I know some people debate about Geraldine Page being in either Lead or Supporting but I would keep her here and allow Stapleton to remain in Supporting for INTERIORS.

I don’t think Fonda should’ve won this Oscar. It was a solid performance but not much else.

I do think Liv Ullmann should’ve received a nomination because…well…she was always luminous in everything.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

This was a fun and hard year to judge the nominees. I have seen all 5 nominees and I would have ranked them as following based on performance:

1. Jill Clayburgh
    2. Ingrid Bergman
    3. Jane Fonda
    4. Geraldine Page
    5. Ellen Burstyn

1 and 2 are interchangeable. Also, at times I think this should have been Ingrid Bergan’s third Oscar and not for Murder on the Orient Express.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Liv Ullmann

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss
    Topics:

Geraldine Page

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Ingrid Bergman for Autumn Sonata 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My rankings of the 5 nominees:

1. Jill Clayburgh
    2. Ingrid Bergman
    3. Geraldine Page
    4. Ellen Burstyn
    5. Jane Fonda – surprised she was the winner

I would have nominated Bergman, Bujold, Clayburgh, Jackson, and Schneider – and put Page in Supporting Actress. I still would pick Jill Clayburgh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

1. Clayburgh – An Unmarried Woman is among my favorite films of this particular year and she is likely my favorite performance. I think she is a revelation as Erica Benton, as she brings such intelligence to the role. It’s unfortunate that she only won Cannes for her breakthrough. It speaks to the strength of this category that she lost most awards to Bergman or Fonda.

2. Bergman – Her last film role is absolutely devastating. She would really be my strong runner up. I would have supported a tie in this category. She might have had a stronger chance to win if she hadn’t won for Murder on the Orient Express a few years earlier, that win was an absolute travesty. I choose to pretend that she rightly won her third Academy Award for this performance.

3. Page – Geraldine Page is a favorite of mine and her role in Interiors is masterful. I would have given her the award in the supporting category without a doubt. The film mostly focuses on her three daughters.

4. Fonda – She had a strong year with Coming Home, Comes a Horseman and California Suite. She was probably at her peak with three straight best actress nominations and her film was timely and popular among actors. Coming Home is included in the select films to have received a nomination in all acting categories.

5. Burstyn – Ellen Burstyn won a Tony for her role in the play of Same Time, Next Year. She delivers a first class performance but the film role is probably too lightweight to genuinely compete with the dramatic works of the other actresses.

Honorable Mention:
    Liv Ullmann, Autumn Sonata
    She was the only other performance of those mentioned above that I would choose to be among the nominees. Page would go down to supporting and I would put Ullmann in her place. I’m a fan of all of these performances. I don’t really see a weak link among the nominees.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Army Of Me.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Bergman with Clayburgh in a close second, both are performances I genuinely love

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I could be wrong but one of the reasons why Jane won was mostly due to her political activism and views. She was hugely politically active during the 70s and Coming Home was a movie about Vietnam war. A war that she STRONGLY opposed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

This should have been Bergmann 3rd Oscar in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Jill Clayburgh

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

There have been a few years in which I felt the best actress lineup contained nothing but worthy performances (1962 for example), but 1978 is the only time where my personal lineup matches the academy’s in any category ever.

1. Geraldine Page, INTERIORS
    2. Ingrid Bergman, AUTUMN SONATA
    3. Jill Clayburgh, AN UNMARRIED WOMAN
    4. Jane Fonda, COMING HOME
    5. Ellen Burstyn, SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR

My ranking Burstyn last is a testament to how great this lineup is because she is one of my two absolute favorites ever. Her film as a whole helped secure being last though. I greatly admire the ease she worked the transformations for each stage of her character’s life but the film was so stagey and glossy it brings her ranking down. Fonda’s win is fine with me, having three films out that year plus her popularity at the time sealed the deal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bebe
    Topics:

Honestly, my favorite performance in this line-up is Ellen Burstyn. Sure, it’s not her best performance, but it’s my favorite from her. Anytime I hear the theme from the film (the Johnny Mathis song), it takes me the end of the movie, which I find beautiful.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

Honestly, my favorite performance in this line-up is Ellen Burstyn. Sure, it’s not her best performance, but it’s my favorite from her. Anytime I hear the theme from the film (the Johnny Mathis song), it takes me the end of the movie, which I find beautiful.

I like Ellen Burstyn in this movie too She’s My favorite of the nominees

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.