Home Forums Movies Who was your Best Actress of 1978?

Who was your Best Actress of 1978?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Aunt Peg
JayDF
  • Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Liv Ullman in Autumn Sonata > Ingrid Bergman in Autumn Autumn Sonata

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

This is a great line-up; I can see any of them winning and it would have made a worthy winner.

I go for Clayburgh in a nice film catpuring the zeitgeist and giving Clayburgh a good playground to display her talents. I think everybody assumed that she would go on to become a big star and while she did star in some high class pictures, her stardom did not last as long as it probably should have.

Then I have Fonda who I think gets trashed for her win quite unfairly. It’s a great picture and it’s a great performance. Sometimes I think I would have given her the trophy here, if I hadn’t given it to her already for Julia.

Then Page. Enough has been said about Interiors and the actors in it.

Then Bergman (would have been a worthy winner) and last Burstyn, who was captivating in a bitter-sweet film.

I think Bergman came probably second but as I’ve said somewhere else already, the Academy is very peculiar when it comes to giving out a third trophy. I am sure they were close to giving her one had the second one not been so recent (and also, having the feeling of being superflous attached to it).

In my personal line-up you will find the first four and Huppert for Violette Noziere (the Cannes winner).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

I think the Academy got it right. I would choose Jane Fonda in “Coming Home” which is one of my favourite films ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Any thoughts on Julie Christie in Heaven Can Wait?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

If Bergman had won it would have been her 4th win not 3rd.

This is a great line-up; I can see any of them winning and it would have made a worthy winner.

I go for Clayburgh in a nice film catpuring the zeitgeist and giving Clayburgh a good playground to display her talents. I think everybody assumed that she would go on to become a big star and while she did star in some high class pictures, her stardom did not last as long as it probably should have.

Then I have Fonda who I think gets trashed for her win quite unfairly. It’s a great picture and it’s a great performance. Sometimes I think I would have given her the trophy here, if I hadn’t given it to her already for Julia.

Then Page. Enough has been said about Interiors and the actors in it.

Then Bergman (would have been a worthy winner) and last Burstyn, who was captivating in a bitter-sweet film.

I think Bergman came probably second but as I’ve said somewhere else already, the Academy is very peculiar when it comes to giving out a third trophy. I am sure they were close to giving her one had the second one not been so recent (and also, having the feeling of being superflous attached to it).

In my personal line-up you will find the first four and Huppert for Violette Noziere (the Cannes winner).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

JayDF, thank you for correcting my mistake. Of course, Bergman already had three! Then I must reconsider whether Bergman really was the runner-up. Giving her fourth one so soon after the third. I really don’t know. Bergman was respected enough to collect some votes despite having three trophies. Would be great to see those results (they must be somewhere, right?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

1. Jane Fonda, Coming Home
    2. Glenda Jackson, Stevie
    3. Jill Clayburgh, An Unmarried Woman
    4. Melanie Mayron, Girlfriends
    5. Ingrid Bergman, Autumn Sonata

**I consider Geraldine Page in Interiors to be supporting – and the best of the year in the supporting category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Did Melanie Mayron get Oscar buzz that year? I see the first poster listed her as an option.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Fonda has an odd Oscar history. She won her first award in spite of her Vietnam activities and then her second one because of them.

That first speech is good television. So much tension as to whether she will give a political speech. She kind of milks it a bit, pauses and then says what her father told her to say. (there’s a lot to say but this isn’t the place to say it or something close to that.)

Her second speech is odd since she does sign language which Louise Fletcher had done so memorably a few years before. You can hear some slight nervous laughter from the audience like why is she doing this too. (Later she said she didn’t know about Fletcher’s speech.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Any thoughts on Julie Christie in Heaven Can Wait?

I guess she wasn’t that memorable as the rest of the cast and competition was too stiff that even HFPA ignored her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

Did Melanie Mayron get Oscar buzz that year? I see the first poster listed her as an option.

A little – she was considered a ‘dark horse’ possible candidate. I remember somebody listing possible candidates and they wrote that if Melanie Mayron got nominated she’d be the most plain best actress nominee ever (looks wise). Girlfriends did very well and the box office for a small film and got stellar reviews and in a weaker year Mayron probably would have made in it.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Aunt Peg.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by Aunt Peg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

Louise Fletcher & Jane Fonda used sign language in their acceptance speeches for different reasons…..Louise for her deaf parents, Jane for veterans who lost hearing. Both were handled well by the actresses and it was appropriate in each case…..just my opinion!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

A little – she was considered a ‘dark horse’ possible candidate. I remember somebody listing possible candidates and they wrote that if Melanie Mayron got nominated she’d be the most plain best actress nominee ever (looks wise). Girlfriends did very well and the box office for a small film and got stellar reviews and in a weaker year Mayron probably would have made in it.

Interesting. I taped that movie off TCM last week. Anxious to watch it now. (kind of mean about her being so plain. She really transformed her looks by the time she did Missing and thirtysomething.)

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by RobertPius.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DS0816
    Topics:

The 1978 Best Actress Oscar should have gone to Jill Clayburgh, for her fresh and honest portrayal of a suddenly-single wife and mother, in an An Unmarried Woman. Frankly, that wasn’t close. (Criterion Collection is releasing An Unmarried Woman in June.)

I think awarding Jane Fonda her second Oscar (she richly earned her 1971 win for Klute) may have been more about the mood of the Academy voters at that time. Jon Voight had to win Best Actor, playing opposite Fonda, in Coming Home. (He was that film’s soul.) But, it wasn’t necessary for the film to also win in Original Screenplay. (I would have prized Paul Mazursky for An Unmarried Woman.)

I think Coming Home was overly appreciated. But, I do give much love and respect to its great director, Hal Ashby. He never won the Oscar for Best Director. (He directed Oscar winning performances in all of Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress. Not many have. And, unfortunately, his career took a nosedive in the 1980s and he died at age 59 in 1988.)

Yes—it was a mood that the Academy was in. Vietnam pictures. The Deer Hunter won Best Picture and Best Director (Michael Cimino) and Best Supporting Actor (Christoher Walken). (I would have awarded An Unmarried Woman.)

Thank goodness Oliver Stone won Adapted Screenplay for Midnight Express! (It beat out Heaven Can Wait which, like Coming Home, was also overly appreciated. Good!)

The 1978 Academy Awards—the nominations and the awards—were rather mixed. (They needed to revised.)

Tim McIntire (1944–1986)—an excellent character actor and music composer (Jeremiah Johnson) and the son of fellow character actors John McIntire and Jeanette Nolan (a multiple Emmy nominee)—should have received a Best Actor nomination for playing disk jockey Alan Freed in American Hot Wax.

Brad Davis (1949–1991) should have also been nominated for Best Actor for playing escaped Turkey prisoner Billy Hayes in Midnight Express.

I forget the explanation on why 1978 Oscar nominations for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress could not happen for Glenda Jackson and Mona Washbourne in Stevie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DS0816
    Topics:

1. Clayburgh…

2. Bergman…

3. Page…

4. Fonda…

5. Burstyn…

Exactly as I would have ranked them!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.