Home Forums Movies Who were the favorites in 1977?

Who were the favorites in 1977?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
arodfan
Sam_Malone
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I think Annie Hall was a bit of a surprise as Best Picture but who was the frontrunner going in? The Turning Point?

I know it was Dreyfuss vs. Burton for Best Actor.

I think Keaton was a favorite and Redgrave a heavy favorite despite the controversy which might have derailed her win but didn’t.

Jason Robards must have been a shock though especially since he had won the year before. Peter Firth won the Globe.

• This topic was modified 9 months ago by RobertPius.
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

I suppose Star Wars was the favorite. Even with genre bias the film got a screenplay and acting nomination. It was also the biggest film since The Sound of Music and Gone With The Wind, both Best Picture winners. I would have predicted it to win.
    I think this is how the voting ended:
    Annie Hall > Star Wars > Julia > The Turning Point > The Goodbye Girl

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I think Annie Hall was the clear favourite. DGA, BAFTA sweep, plus retribution for Woody’s previous snubs and Star Wars being hurt by its being a genre film. Keaton was a lock. Best Actor was a toss-up. I think people were going back and forth between Firth and Guinness and couldn’t decide, so they gave it to Robards for the second year in a row. Redgrave was also a lock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I think Annie Hall was the clear favourite. DGA, BAFTA sweep, plus retribution for Woody’s previous snubs and Star Wars being hurt by its being a genre film. Keaton was a lock. Best Actor was a toss-up. I think people were going back and forth between Firth and Guinness and couldn’t decide, so they gave it to Robards for the second year in a row. Redgrave was also a lock.

BAFTAS would have been after the Oscars though back then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

I remember this year. Annie Hall & Keaton were definitely the frontrunners as well as Redgrave. The two actor races were up in the air.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

I don’t think The Turning Point entered the race a favorite. These was a lot of ridicule of the supporting performances being nominated and the movie was considered to be a melodrama of the old school. Annie Hall was definitely a frontrunner.

For Actress, Keaton was a strong possibility, but Jane Fonda was also in talks. I think it was between the two with Mason as a spoiler (though unlikely). The Turning Point ladies were out of the running.

Supporting Actress was a weak field, Redgrave was a sure bet. Supporting Actor, I have no idea; but since Burton also lost actor, it’s fair to say that the Academy did not like Equus as much as other award venues. That probably helped Robards to a second Oscar.

In my awards universe, Redgrave easily wins supporting actress (though it’s a shame and mystery that they did not nominate Joan Blondell for Opening Night), Alec Guinness supporting actor, Jane Fonda and Marcello Mastroianni take the leads, and Annie Hall the rest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

ANNIE HALL would win the big 5 for me in this case.

Supporting Actor really is a tossup. I’m not even sure who I’d give it to in this case, but for the moment would just say Peter Firth.

Supporting Actress is also not particularly exciting, but the win of Vanessa Redgrave was deserved.

I also second the mention of Joan Blondell deserving a nomination for OPENING NIGHT while the two dancers from TURNING POINT getting nominated was highly laughable.

In terms of movies I would’ve liked to have seen recognized more, the first one that comes to mind is easily 3 WOMEN.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

ANNIE HALL would win the big 5 for me in this case. Supporting Actor really is a tossup. I’m not even sure who I’d give it to in this case, but for the moment would just say Peter Firth. Supporting Actress is also not particularly exciting, but the win of Vanessa Redgrave was deserved. I also second the mention of Joan Blondell deserving a nomination for OPENING NIGHT while the two dancers from TURNING POINT getting nominated was highly laughable. In terms of movies I would’ve liked to have seen recognized more, the first one that comes to mind is 3 WOMEN.

Agreed. Shelley Duvall was absolutely robbed in Best Actress and would have made it a more interesting race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

and Sissy Spacek was the Best Supporting Actress of this year for three women imo.

Do you think if there had been a strong alternative to Redgrave would they have voted for her to avoid the controversy? As it was there was really no one else to vote for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

In terms of movies I would’ve liked to have seen recognized more, the first one that comes to mind is 3 WOMEN.

thank you for this piping hot tea, Duvall and Spacek should’ve been nominated and won their respective categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

I agree with the sentiment on Three Women – I have Duvall and Spacek in my line-ups. However, I do not think that these nominations were remotely possible in a year where they opted for something like The Turning Point to be all over their line-ups. Not their kind of stuff, the academy wasn’t ready to embrace something like three women …

btw, after Spacek won her first award for the film, she was actually quite surprised to find out that she had played a supporting part 😀

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

LOL. Yes I guess it is debatable whether Spacek is supporting or lead. She had quite a year there with Carrie and 3 Women. Such unique and brave performances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Carrie was actually released the previous year in ‘76.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

The supporting performances nominated from THE TURNING POINT were IMO largely based on their dancing as a part of their characters. Their emoting through dialogue certainly left something to be desired but the dancing is a different story at least for Baryshnikov. I might have to pop the DVD in, I know Browne does indeed dance in the film but it’s not too vivid in my memory. Side trivia, Browne was a professional dancer and the god daughter of director Herbert Ross. Browne’s mother is the real life inspiration for Anne Bancroft’s character. Shirley MacLaine’s character inspiration was Ross’ wife.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Were the supporting nominations for The Turning Point ridiculed at the time?

Funny thing is Tom Skeritt won the Best Supporting Actor award from the National Board of Review that year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.