Home Forums Movies Who were the front runners going into 1976 Oscars?

Who were the front runners going into 1976 Oscars?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
babypook
keithw
RobertPius
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Was Rocky expected? It won the Globe but Globes didn’t always match up with Oscars as much back then.

Peter Finch was a sure thing (even if he hadn’t died when he did) Dunaway too.

Supporting Actor was Robards a surprise?

Beatrice Straight seems very shocked to win. I’ve read Piper Laurie say people were telling her she’d win. I guess Carrie was just too horror, too gory, too low budget?

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Ooo Robert I Love these. Stan free.

I think yes. Rocky had some strong things going for it.
    Shoe string budget
    Fellow actor
    Feel good underdog
    That popular score.
    Lead actor nod
    Four acting nods in total
    A nod for Alvidson who goes on to win.
    An editing nod for Halsey who goes on to win.
    A sound nod.
    A screenplay nod.

They throw the kitchen sink at the actors in Network and give all but one wins.
    And Paddy wins screenplay.

Just from this list the odds are heavily weighted in Rockys favour.
    And nobody wants to hear the grim truth about our global system.
    Then Stallone goes on to join an elite list of directors who have won picture and screenplay for the same film. And yet we trash him for being a bad actor. Not bad for a guy who’s been in repeated successful franchises and he’s still at it.
    lol

Robards I’m not as certain about, but he was a respected veteran who went on to win 2 Oscars. His competition were worthy but they didn’t want to give a sweep to Network by giving the Oscar to Ned. And Olivier’ s film was rather nasty.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Straight had to be an upset, I remember Jane Alexander looking really surprised and Straight’s speech opening with “I was the dark horse.”

That was a really balanced field too. All of them did great work. I put it down to Straight giving such a shattering perf in the few moments she had, was the reason why she won. That iconic Oscar moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Lol pook, sorry to burst your bubble but I’m a full-on Network stan.

You’re assuming the wrong thing. Robert asked if Rocky was the favorite to win and I listed the reasons why it was. lol!
    That’s all Not my stanning. lolol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

No, I wasn’t assuming you were stanning Rocky it’s just get a drink in me and I could write a dissertation on Rocky vs Network. If it’s a film I’m passionate about, the Stan-free zone no longer exists lol

I meant that I’m a full on Stan for network too .hahaha. That’s one of the very best films ever made

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

If I recall accurately, Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver I think was expected to win Supporting Actress. Too bad Talia Shire (for Rocky) wasn’t in this category. She would have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

If I recall accurately, Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver I think was expected to win Supporting Actress. Too bad Talia Shire (for Rocky) wasn’t in this category. She would have won.

That would have made her the youngest child actor in an R rated movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

I’m not sure it was a “done deal” that Peter Finch was going to win…..I remember thinking deNiro had a shot and, of course, Stallone considering all the love for Rocky. Faye Dunaway nearest competitor was Liv Ullmann. No one else stood out. Supporting actor was between Robards & Meredith.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I’m not sure it was a “done deal” that Peter Finch was going to win…..I remember thinking deNiro had a shot and, of course, Stallone considering all the love for Rocky. Faye Dunaway nearest competitor was Liv Ullmann. No one else stood out. Supporting actor was between Robards & Meredith.

No he was the clear winner before he won it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

What do people think of Marie Christine Barrault? I saw that once a long time ago but don’t remember too much. I do remember being a bit baffled how she got a nomination. Was it a really popular film?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

Her nomination was a surprise. Barbra Streisand should have earned that fifth spot for “A Star is Born” in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

What do people think of Marie Christine Barrault? I saw that once a long time ago but don’t remember too much. I do remember being a bit baffled how she got a nomination. Was it a really popular film?

I know that she’s an incredible French actress and was once a partner of Roger Vadim and had a network of family members in the industry. Tachella was a festival favorite and both were Oscar nominated for this and Cesare favorites. She also received a nod from the Canadian Gemini awards. Her filmography is so long I don’t have any hope of seeing it all.
    She’s best known for Marie Curie. She smoked in C and C and she had this effortless chemistry with anyone she worked with. And that woman is STILL working. Tireless.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.