Home Forums Movies Why has Jessica Chastain been snubbed so much by the Oscars since 2012?

Why has Jessica Chastain been snubbed so much by the Oscars since 2012?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
xandyeugh
LA26
coopC
  • Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I remember when Chastain was first nominated for The Help ten years ago in addition to being in so many films that year. She was heralded as the next Meryl Streep and under different circumstances could have easily won Best Actress for Zero Dark Thirty. But since then she has been snubbed for all the performances that she has had Oscar buzz for. Was Chastain just more green than people thought or has she just been unlucky since 2012? Did her 2014 comments about Streep hurt her image in the industry? Has she just picked projects that are either too Oscar baity or too obscure for the Academy doesn’t take seriously? Oscar nominations are not determinative of a successful career and I think she is very talented but it feels like given Chastain’s pedigree she should have had a couple more nods than two by now. What gives?

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Maybe she’s just not getting good scripts? I haven’t been impressed with anything she’s done post Molly’s Bloom. I thought TEOTF was mediocre and I’m not passionate about her performance, but I understand why she’s still high on prediction lists. This is just my opinion, but I don’t think she’s as popular in the industry as some of her more younger peers (Robbie, Stone, Lawrence and Johansson).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The only one I can call a snub was A Most Violent Year. Miss Sloane and Molly’s Game were always going to be just Globes thing considering the stiff competition in those years.

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

According to Grace Randolph and Jeff Sneider she is not well liked in the industry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I think these are the reasons based on each year she was competitive are these.

1. A Most Violent Year
    Her attachment to Nolan’s Interstellar required her to campaign for that film, so she had no time to promote A Most Violent Year. This was actually quite ugly because Nolan really insisted her not to push her other film although she already got nominations.

2. Miss Sloane
    This was a quite unpredictable lineup to the point where Amy Adams (and to lesser strength, Annette Bening) was snubbed. Ruth Negga got in because her performance and the film she was in were arguably stronger while Meryl Streep got in because she was whom she was.

3. Molly’s Game
    Meryl Streep in Spielberg’s film.

I also might argue that since Zero Dark Thirty, she has never been in a film that is both competitive for Best Picture and a real acting player. I do not really know whether she is liked enough or not in the industry, so anyone please elaborate on that.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Her film roles are all in movies I have no interest in seeing.

Best Supporting Actress - Kathryn Hunter, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Judi Dench, Ruth Negga
    Best Supporting Actor - Troy Katsur, Ciarán Hinds, Alex Hassell, Bertie Carvel
    Best Actress - Tessa Thompson
    The Tragedy of Macbeth in Directing, Production Design, Cinematography and thee Kathryn Hunter
    Mass in Original Screenplay

The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Her films are non events or do poor with critics, Molly’s Game was the time she was closest to a nom, sadly she didn’t make it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Her film roles are all in movies I have no interest in seeing.

That’s pretty much how I feel.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    xandyeugh
    Topics:

It’s wild how, along with Amy Adams, they are the only two actresses who starred in more than 3 best picture nominees in the past decade. That just proves how she was an in-demand prestige actress. But i guess her later roles who are bombs hurt her quality as a star.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

What do you mean, “snub” ? She got nominated for The Help and Zero Dark Thirty. She was snubbed by A Most Violent Year but that was a genre movie by small A24.

She missed for Miss Sloane and Molly’s Game in competitive years. And it’s not like she was undeniable in these mediocre movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

It’s wild how, along with Amy Adams, they are the only two actresses who starred in more than 3 best picture nominees in the past decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Weak vehicles with poor campaign and recognition in the seasons. Just look to who was nomianted ahead of her.

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

According to Grace Randolph and Jeff Sneider she is not well liked in the industry.

This is true. I remember Sean Penn said “Jessica Chastain lies about her age. She is Older”. That was a very weird attack from 2 Oscars Sean Penn

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    coopC
    Topics:

She doesn’t look really smart and some of her silly remarks and behaviors must have really pissed off lots of people from the industry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I haven’t had her in my predictions for the Oscar this year for months. Perhaps I will be proven wrong but I think her movie being mediocre and only competitive in one other category (Makeup & Hairstyling) AND recency bias (her movie came out last summer) all make me think she won’t be nominated this year. But then we hear that her performance is well regarded and will win industry awards… maybe this will be my one wrong prediction in Best Actress but I don’t think she is liked enough and I think her movie peaked too early…

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.