Home Forums Movies “Wicked” movie adaption – 2021 Release

“Wicked” movie adaption – 2021 Release

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Brayden Fitzs..
PaulCole_
  • Caelin Cripps
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga is my dream Elphaba. Just imagine her belting out “The Wizard and I”, “No Good Deed”, and most of all “Defying Gravity!” She is now an Academy Award nominated actress as well 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    funnibone31
    Participant
    Topics:

Rachel Zegler for Elphaba. I’ve seen her YouTube videos of Wicked and she has the voice for it (not sure about acting chops). She may be the next big thing if West Side Story turns out well.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  funnibone31.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PaulCole_
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga is my dream Elphaba. Just imagine her belting out “The Wizard and I”, “No Good Deed”, and most of all “Defying Gravity!” She is now an Academy Award nominated actress as well 😉

Although I’m sure she’d sound great on those tracks I don’t think she’s right for Elphaba at all

ReplyCopy URL
    PaulCole_
    Participant
    Topics:

Rachel Zegler for Elphaba. I’ve seen her YouTube videos of Wicked and she has the voice for it (not sure about acting chops). She may be the next big thing if West Side Story turns out well.

I think Wicked would already have started filming before West Side Story released so I don’t know if the studios would even allow it. Direct comparison and Wicked stealing their star blah blah blah

ReplyCopy URL
    funnibone31
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Wicked would already have started filming before West Side Story released so I don’t know if the studios would even allow it. Direct comparison and Wicked stealing their star blah blah blah

Good point!

My dream Fiyero would be Jeremy Jordan.

ReplyCopy URL
    Caelin Cripps
    Participant
    Topics:

I heard Bette Midler and Nicole Kidman are being considered for the role of Madame Morrible. Of course it’s just a rumor and I’m not sure of how valid it is, but I would be HERE for Bette!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Where did you hear those rumors?

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I heard Bette Midler and Nicole Kidman are being considered for the role of Madame Morrible. Of course it’s just a rumor and I’m not sure of how valid it is, but I would be HERE for Bette!!

I heard the Kidman one on the radio today along with Auli-i Cravalho as Elphaba. Bette would be cool too.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  vinny.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  vinny.
    ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

They could hire whatever dujour pop star for Elphaba (so long as she has power behind her voice) but I would love a classically-trained (actually classically trained) soprano with a surprise belt for Glinda. The first time I heard Kristin Chenoweth’s high notes in “No One Mourns the Wicked”, I thought I was in heaven. They will probably want to hire two famous women for the two starring roles though.

In terms of Oscar, will Glinda be pushed into supporting as opposed to lead?

The fact that the same people behind the stage musical are the same ones working on the screenplay, this doesn’t give me much hope. The book of Wicked is pretty juvenile and bad. They took a really mature and complex novel and turned it into something really immature. The score has some of Stephen Schwartz’s worst lyrics and rhymes and the score isn’t very melodic. However, despite all of that, it’s like the musical hit of our generation. I think it captured a whole new field of theatre-goers and made those behind Show Biz to realize there’s an audience wanting stories that are more about female friendships than just romantic dynamics back in 2003 when the musical came out.

I think this is one property that may actually work better on screen because on stage, it’s heavy, over-produced, and sort of blah despite all the love people have for it. Honestly, I think it’s the Glinda/Elphaba dynamic and the fact they’re given one-two songs where they can sing out to the audience that has captured audiences. With the film version they can use great visual effects (I hope it doesn’t look too Disney CGI if you know what I mean) and improve the pace with scene editing and maybe add more depth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

They could hire whatever dujour pop star for Elphaba (so long as she has power behind her voice) but I would love a classically-trained (actually classically trained) soprano with a surprise belt for Glinda. The first time I heard Kristin Chenoweth’s high notes in “No One Mourns the Wicked”, I thought I was in heaven. They will probably want to hire two famous women for the two starring roles though.

The filmmakers could always hire lesser known talents for the leads and surround them with more high profile film actors. It was done with Hairspray where they had an unknown actress by the name of Nikki Blonsky in the lead role, but they were able to surround her with celebrities such as John Travolta, Christopher Walken, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeiffer, and James Marsden. While Blonsky’s career sadly never took off after the film, that casting formula at least worked out at the box office as Hairspray became one of the most successful movie musicals of the 21st century.

In terms of Oscar, will Glinda be pushed into supporting as opposed to lead?

On paper, I’m not sure if Wicked will end up being the kind of movie that would do well in Oscar nominations beyond the below-the-line categories. Fantasy is a genre that’s always been a tough sell to the academy.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

In a recent article from The Hollywood Reporter, composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz talked about how things are going in the creative process.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/idina-menzel-talks-badass-superhero-power-frozen-2-1211701

“The composer of Pippin, Godspell, and Wicked is in the midst of working on the film adaptation of Wicked, set to bow in 2021 from Universal. Schwartz said they’re still getting the script ready “but the process is heating up,” as they’re starting to talk about casting. Director Stephen Daldry — who directed The Reader and executive produces The Crown — has been meeting with production designers.

Schwartz is eager to tell the story cinematically, “to be able to do things that we thought about when we were doing the show, but of course we couldn’t do,” he said. “And it’s been wonderful for my collaboration…Winnie Holzman and myself to be back in that world and back with those characters we love and think about ‘How do you tell that story as a movie?’” (And is Menzel involved in the film adaptation? “No, not really,” she laughed).”

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

During a recent roundtable, Christine Baranski says that says involved in an upcoming project with a large preparation of singing and dancing that she can’t say anything else about it. I wonder if she’s gotten the Madame’s part.

(4:30)
    https://youtu.be/0f5pqlCv378

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana is in her personality and voucectype an Elphaba. Think Amanda Seyfried for Glinda. She hits very high notes. You need a real soprano.

I’d agree with you on that. And Seyfried played Cosette in Les Mis which is a similar, high/airy/soprano role. Also this video of Ariana singing The Wizard and I at the literal age of 13 always shatters me.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ariana could be fine vocally, but only if she enunciates. I know it’s her pop style not to, but this is a different thing entirely and she has to have diction if she sings this score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ariana could be fine vocally, but only if she enunciates. I know it’s her pop style not to, but this is a different thing entirely and she has to have diction if she sings this score.

She ennunciates when she sings musical theatre. I really don’t know why the hell she sings sloppily her own music.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.