Home Forums Movies Your top 10 movies of the year 2019

Your top 10 movies of the year 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
Babygirl
Lil Tony
  • Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

So far,

Parasite
    Us
    Booksmart
    Hustlers
    The Lighthouse
    Midsommar
    Ready or Not
    Blinded by the Light
    The Long Walk
    The Farewell

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    Long Day’s Journey Into Night
    Pain and Glory
    Parasite
    Synonyms
    Marriage Story
    Ash is Purest White
    Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
    The Lighthouse
    Sorry Angel

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Omg you saw Marriage Story??? What’s your thoughts sis.

I’ll write a review later but you ain’t ready for the performance Adam delivers. You’re just not

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I’ll write a review later but you ain’t ready for the performance Adam delivers. You’re just not

I been saying!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Thank you for this thread. I just learnt about some other movies I never knew existed before now.

I just finished Good Boys…such a nice film. The King is next in line. I was skipping it, but the mentions of it on this thread has given me confidence

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alan McFly Chrzan
    Topics:

Booksmart
    Once upon a time in…Hollywood
    Dolemite is my name
    Toy Story 4
    Parasite
    Rocketman
    Hustlers
    Bird Talk
    Fighting with my family
    Little Woods/Art of selfe defense

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

In alphabetical order

1. Farewell
    2. Hotel Mumbai
    3. Joker
    4. Midsommar
    5. Official Secrets
    6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    7. Parasite
    8. The Peanut Butter Falcon
    9. Queen of Hearts
    10. A Rainy Day in New York

Is it okay to consider Hotel Mumbai a 2019 film? If not, I’ll say “Us” instead of it.

I’ll add a bonus!

Bonus: “American Bistro”

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by cinetastic.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

Not sure if someone else made a forum like this before, but I looked around and couldn’t find one. So, here’s my picks:

1. Marriage Story

2. Jojo Rabbit

3. The Irishman

4. Parasite

5. Avengers: Endgame

6. The Farewell

7. Knives Out

8. Rocketman

9. Toy Story 4

10. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    bsignor
    Topics:

1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    2. Pain and Glory
    3. The Two Popes
    4. The Irishman
    5. Jojo Rabbit
    6. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    7. Parasite
    8. The Farewell
    9. Ford vs.Ferrari
    10. The Peanut Butter Falcon

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Hello guys, I’ve returned to give you my Top 10 films of 2019 (excluding 1917 and Little Women which I still haven’t been able to see yet).

10: Us-Anchored by a powerful performance by Lupita Nyong’o, Us is another horror triumph from Jordan Peele after his masterpiece Get Out with more scares, a bigger and bolder (yet somewhat messier) story, thrilling action, and a haunting score.

9: Ford v Ferrari- When I first saw the trailers for this film, I expected it to be a fun but cliche film. However Ford v Ferrari surprised me with a story that went in some very unexpected directions, particularly in it’s shocking and sad ending. The racing sequences are fantastic: done practical as they should be, with impeccable sound design and editing. All of the cast does a great job, but Christian Bale most of all. He earned his Golden Globe and SAG nominations, and I hope he gets an Oscar nom too.

8: John Wick Chapter 3- This film takes everything you loved about the first two and cranks it up to 11 with jaw dropping stunts and amazing action set pieces. The steady Cinematography and slow editing lets us see every brutal crunch and splatter in gory detail, and the direction of these sequences is impeccable. Probably the best straight action movie I’ve seen since Mad Max Fury Road (give or take MI: Fallout).

7: Toy Story 4- Many people think this film is unnecessary, but I loved it as a standalone conclusion to Woody’s journey in these films. The animation is stunning and all of the new characters are great, particularly Forky and Gabby Gabby. I do wish they found something better to do with the older characters though.

6: Avengers Endgame-Where Infinity War focused on nonstop action, a brisk pace, and a central main character, Endgame brings the focus back to the main cast of characters, with a slower film that focusses less on action and more on story and characterization. Many more characters get to share the spotlight this time, and the result is a sad yet satisfying conclusion to my favorite franchise, with one of the best 3rd acts of the year. If this list were more biased Endgame would be higher, but I can’t objectively out it above my Top 5 films.

5: Marriage Story-Noah Baumbach crafted one of the most beautiful stories of the year, that portrays both sides of the central debate with equal sympathy and scorn, and doesn’t feel biased towards either one. It’s up to you to decide who’s in the right and who’s not. Yet this story is still overshadowed by the best acting of the entire year: particularly from Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, and Alan Alda. But there isn’t a single weak link in the cast. I didn’t like Randy Newman’s Pixar’y score though.

4: Joker- Joaquin Phoenix gives the best performance of the year (and possibly the decade) in a story that takes familiar material and puts a unique spin on it with a superheroic skin and structure that constantly makes you doubt what’s real and what’s in Arthur’s head. The score is haunting, the cinematography beautifully captures the gritty world Arthur lives in, and the sound design keeps you constantly on edge. Everytime an act of violence happens you can see it coming a mile away, but it’s still somehow shocking.

3: Uncut Gems- The last movie I saw in 2019 and one of the best. Adam Sandler is a close second for best performance of the year, Julia Fox is great in her debut, and Kevin Garnett does a surprisingly good job for an athlete. The sound design, score, and script make this the most tense film of the year: everytime Howard makes another terrible decision you just wnat to scream at the camera. Sags a bit in the middle, but ends with the best 3rd act of the year in a finale that will have you at the edge of your seat the whole time.

2: Jojo Rabbit- It may not have the deep themes and metaphors of Parasite, but Jojo Rabbit still boasts one of the best scripts of the year with a story that subverts typical biopic tropes, perfectly utilized show-not-tell, and hits you with a major gut punch and tone-shift that’s sure to bring tears to your eyes. Beautifully acted, particularly by Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKensie, San Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson, and Taika Waititi. The editing and production design are also great, and the humor had me in stitches, though some jokes landed harder than others.

1: Parasite-The best film I’ve seen since Fury Road. I can’t think of a single flaw that isn’t an insane nitpick. The brilliant script lays out every piece of the puzzle before your eyes, letting you piece together every mystery before it happens. It’s also filled with beautiful metaphorical storytelling and themes that felt poignant but never preachy. Bong-Joon Ho shows full mastery over the story with his Oscar-worthy direction: blending so many genres together that it feels like he’s creating a new one, and luring you into a false sense of security in the second act before turning everything on it’s head in the third. The violent finale is shocking, but feels perfectly earned and understandable because of how well we know all of these characters and their motivations. All of the cast is fantastic, as well as the cinematography, editing, and score. But it’s the script and direction that make this the best film of 2019.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hengedrita
    Topics:

Has seen more movies since the last time I made a list of 2019:

01: Portrait of a lady on fire
    02: Ford vs Ferrari
    03: The King
    04: Marriage Story
    05: Booksmart
    06: Hustlers

07: A White, White Day
    08: Avengers: Endgame
    09: John Wick Chapter 3
    10: The Lion King

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Honorable Mentions: Waves, Jojo Rabbit, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Star Wars: Episode IX—The Rise Of Skywalker, Pavarotti, Late Night, The Mustang, Blinded By The Light, Luce, Knives Out, Bombshell, Doctor Sleep, Little Women, The Lighthouse, Dark Waters, Us, Marriage Story, Rocketman

1. The Irishman
    2. Ad Astra
    3. Apollo 11
    4. Parasite
    5. The Farewell
    6. Joker
    7. The Last Black Man In San Francisco
    8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    9. Ford V. Ferrari
    10. Wild Rose
    11. The Peanut Butter Falcon
    12. Hotel Mumbai
    13. Arctic
    14. They Shall Not Grow Old
    15. Toy Story 4

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

1. Parasite- a movie with something to say, and says it well. Symbolism everywhere. Stellar acting. Amazing story.

2. Knives Out- def not what I expected and lived up to its hype. I’m a sucker for a good whodunit and this one is right up there with the bests

3. Marriage Story- feels so raw and real. I appreciate how nobody is painted as outwardly the villain. Shows how draining the whole process can be

4. Us- symbolic and scary, another mindfuck of a movie

5. Luce- thriller at its best… I hated the kid because I envision one person in his role.

6. Midsommar- reminds me a lot of The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

7. Dolemite is My Name- thoroughly entertaining and informative

8. Avengers: Endgame- beautiful way to end a saga

9. Little Women- I was entertained by this a lot

10. The Farewell- sweet movie

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, here’s the Thatcherian Top 10 of 2019:

10. Bombshell

9. The Two Popes

8. The Irishman

7. Little Women

6. The Farewell

5. Toy Story 4

4. The Lighthouse

3. Portrait of a Lady on Fire

2. Hustlers

1. Pain and Glory

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

1. Parasite
    2. Midsommar
    3. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    4. Honey Boy
    5. Marriage Story
    6. Joker
    7. Les Misérables
    8. 1917
    9. Brexit
    10. Aladdin

1. Adam Driver
    2. Renée Zellweger
    3. Joaquin Phoenix
    4. Scarlett Johansson
    5. Matthew Rhys
    6. Song Kang Ho
    7. Christian Bale
    8. Noah Jupe
    9. Naomi Scott
    10. Jamie Foxx

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.