Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Part 3: NewCat Submissions Edition)

2018 Grammy Award Discussion (Part 3: NewCat Submissions Edition)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,487 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
D.C.
JB_BelieberBoy_
M
  • JB_BelieberBoy_
    Participant
    Topics:

Despacito remix is in the most of the ROTY and pop duo group predictions…

ReplyCopy URL
    D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s what I’m thinking at the moment:

Album of the Year
    1. Ed Sheeran – ÷
    2. Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.
    3. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic

No-brainers. The last two spots are more up in the air.

4. Foo Fighters – Concrete and Gold. While their last album, Sonic Highways, was snubbed, their last two albums before it got in. Highways might have been too gimmicky, while Concrete may be seen as more of a cohesive project. The album was produced by Greg Kurstin, reigning non-classical Producer of the Year, and its first two singles have done well on rock radio.

5. Miranda Lambert – The Weight of These Wings. She’s really overdue for a nomination in this category. She’s been putting out successful, acclaimed albums for years. Her last five albums, including this one, won AOTY at the ACMs, and many are pegging this one to win AOTY at the CMAs. (Although if she loses that, she can be easily nixed from the conversation.) A nomination for this ambitious double album would mirror the 2008 nomination for Vince Gill’s four-disc These Days.

Record of the Year
    1. Ed Sheeran – “Shape of You”
    2. Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
    3. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber – “Despacito”

Again, no-brainers.

4. Bruno Mars – “24K Magic.” A very smart submission from Bruno. While “That’s What I Like” could also have gotten in and was arguably the bigger hit, “24K” is an undeniable party record. It will be pretty hard to pass up in this category.

5. Childish Gambino – “Redbone.” Donald Glover will likely appear somewhere in the general field this year, and this is his best bet. “Redbone” is an exquisitely produced throwback jam that demonstrates the artist’s versatility after being mainly known for rap songs. The song had crossover appeal on pop, R&B, and rock radio, and memorably appeared in the opening to one of the biggest movies of the year, Get Out.

Song of the Year
    1. “Shape of You” (Ed Sheeran). The year’s biggest hit should be a no-brainer for this category. Sheeran is already a 3x nominee in this category and won for “Thinking Out Loud” two years ago. While the song isn’t that deep from a lyrical perspective, it’s catchy, descriptive, and manages to fit quite a lot of words into its verses. In other words, it lacks the sort of repetition that has gotten other mega-smashes like “Get Lucky” and “Uptown Funk” excluded from this category.

2. “1-800-273-8255” (Logic feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid). The Recording Academy typically loves to nominate rap songs with a message in this category, and this moving suicide prevention anthem feels very timely in a year where two rock icons, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington, have taken their lives.

3. “Say You Won’t Let Go” (James Arthur). One of the year’s biggest hits, this touching acoustic ballad is sure to be heard at weddings for many years to come.

4. “That’s What I Like” (Bruno Mars). Mars, like Sheeran, is a 3x previous nominee in this category. Along with “Shape of You,” this catchy ’90s R&B throwback will help the category from being overloaded with ballads.

5. “Praying” (Kesha). This is my wild-card pick in this category. I have a feeling a song by a solo female artist will be represented, and I would also keep an eye on “Issues” by Julia Michaels, “Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga, and even “What About Us” by P!nk. While “Praying” has not been a monster hit, it is a raw, emotional survivor’s anthem. Similarly to “1-800,” the song’s backdrop – Kesha’s sexual assault lawsuit against her producer Dr. Luke – feels timely in the wake of the Weinstein scandal that has dominated recent news coverage.

Best New Artist
    1. Alessia Cara. She’s had three massive hits this cycle and despite being snubbed the last two years, this year really feels like her moment. She’s all but certain to be nominated, and the favorite to win.

2. SZA. Her debut album Ctrl is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year.

3. Khalid. His debut American Teen has been one of the most successful albums of the year, and the single “Location” is one of the year’s biggest hits.

4. Midland. There’s a long list of solid country contenders this year, but the throwback sound and visual style of Midland will likely be appreciated by voters.

5. Logic. A big maybe, but I think he’ll get in along with Alessia Cara and Khalid on the strength of “1-800,” one of the year’s biggest and best singles. His album Everybody also touches on many sociopolitical issues, which calls to mind Macklemore and Kendrick being nominated in 2014.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, as much as I don’t want this to happen, I think “Million Reasons” will get a SOTY nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Grammy
    Participant
    Topics:

NewCat, do you have any submissions for Melissa Etheridge, Ani DiFranco, Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Russ, Diana Krall, Gary Clark Jr., Robert Clay, and Anderson East?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

Paul Grein is now predicting the following albums for AOTY: ÷ DAMN. The Weight of These Wings Harry Styles Ctrl …I want what he’s smoking.

Holy crap Billboard/Paul Grien have a SERIOUS hard on for Harry Styles.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

Current predictions

AOTY:

Damn

Divide

24K Magic

American Dream (as I’ve said previously, I can see myself changing this, but it’s just a gut feeling given it’s a comeback album from a respected indie act, and has more genre crossover than their previously nominated albums, which is why they switched from dance to alt this year)

One of Concrete and Gold or Hardwired… depending on whether the Grammys go for who they’ve given plenty of GF attention to in the past, or bigger sales for an album that seems like it might be more divisive among academy members. Right now I’m sticking with the former.

ROTY:

Shape of You

Humble

Despacito

Redbone

Feel it Still

SOTY:

That’s what I Like

Humble

Shape of You

Million Reasons

Redbone

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Paul Grein must be insane in the brain if he thinks Harry Styles has a chance to land an AOTY nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol at Ctrl & Harry Styles for AoTY.

I think Paul Grein’s accuracy rate will go below 50% this year.

In the last decade, I think the only debut albums that were nominated for AoTY are: The Fame, In The Lonely Hour, Good Kid M.A.A.D City & Doo-Wops & Hooligans. All of them were too successful to be compared to Ctrl & Harry Styles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gagamon
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Selena Gets her first grammy nomination, do you guys think It Ain’t Me stands a chance?

ReplyCopy URL
    BYOB
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Selena Gets her first grammy nomination, do you guys think It Ain’t Me stands a chance?

A lot of “dance” artists, including Clean Bandit and Zedd, submitted their songs to Pop this year, so that definitely bodes well for Selena.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

I think so, she’s got a lot going for her at the moment. The only thing that makes me doubt it is her snub for pop album last year for “Revival”.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ I love the way you think! I would love to see Alison Krauss make it in there for Album of the Year. (smiles)

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting it to get in to Dance Recording.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

October Predictions:

AOTY
    Divide – Ed Sheeran
    DAMN. – Kendrick Lamar
    24K Magic – Bruno Mars
    Hardwired… to Self Destruct – Metallica
    Windy City – Alison Krauss or maybe Starboy – The Weeknd

I love the way you think! I would love to see Alison Krauss make it in there for Album of the Year. (smiles)

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    KING
    Participant
    Topics:

Will Harry Styles’ submissions for Rock stick though? He could be re-categorized. Selena Gomez winning a Grammy before Miley and Demi would be interesting. I still love her though

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,487 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.