Home Forums Music 2018 in Music

2018 in Music

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
Marco B.
HotNerdLover
circa 1993
  • Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure that this thread will be used at all, but: in this section, all we have are discussions about the Grammys and other awards AND discussions about a super limited number of the same people – the usual Adele, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé… -. There’s basically no space for less popular artists, unless you make a specific thread for every single one of them.

Therefore I thought it would be nice to have a thread to add and comment new releases – of every genre, either they stand a chance at the Grammys or not. Hopefully it’ll became a place to share new ideas and suggestions!

EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Beyoncé and Jay Z are releasing a new album together.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

Beyoncé and Jay Z are releasing a new album together

Hopefully it’s something somehow daring in their genre. While I didn’t think Lemonade was that great at all, I respect the fact that Beyoncé tries to do something different album after album.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

Because Brooks & Dunn are no longer a duo, in my opinion, High Valley is the best duo in country music now. (smiles)

God bless you and them and B&D always!!!

Holly

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

No year will ever compare to 2016! Beyonce, Rihanna, Zayn, Chance the Rapper, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Drake, and CupcakKe. Iconic!

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

No year will ever compare to 2016! Beyonce, Rihanna, Zayn, Chance the Rapper, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Drake, and CupcakKe. Iconic!

You’re probably right. I loved CupcakKe’s last album though! Is the other as good as this one? She’s a lot of fun.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see Lauren Alaina break into the country genre this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ You make it sound like she hasn’t done such a thing yet when she scored a #1 song with “The Road Less Traveled”.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Any Diane Birch fans here?

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

Can someone explain what’s special in Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves? I listened to it and actually find the album very forgettable.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ In my opinion, everything from her so far has fallen into that category.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

ReplyCopy URL
    Kadu335
    Participant
    Topics:

Can someone explain what’s special in Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves? I listened to it and actually find the album very forgettable.

My favorite album this year by far… so excited it’s been getting all the acclaim it deserves! Hopefully it can stay above 90 on Metacritic when it’s all set and done.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite album this year by far… so excited it’s been getting all the acclaim it deserves! Hopefully it can stay above 90 on Metacritic when it’s all set and done.

Why did you like it so much, if I can ask? I’m sincerely curious.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kadu335
    Participant
    Topics:

Why did you like it so much, if I can ask? I’m sincerely curious.

I absolutely loved the overall mood of the record. The production has the absolute right combination of the evolution and freshness she was craving for, without sacrificing her musical character. Her signature (great) melodies are on point as always and her writing here has really connected with me. She’s just so relateable (to me at least) as a songwriter and I loved the shift from her usual “witty” lines and smart play-on-words to a more self-aware and personal writer. Even with the overall positive and romanticized approach of most songs, I felt like the songhs cover and deal with so many core questionings of the human experience in such a simple ways (as only country can sometimes)… sometimes poignant, at other times hopeful. How to look outside and appreciate life (“Oh, What A World”), how “taking our time” can also an option (“Slow Burn”), facing anxiety (Happy & Sad), being human and dealing with expectations (Wonder Woman), being alone and ‘ok’ with it(Lonely Weekend), fear & perspective (Rainbow), letting go (Space Cowboy), the mystery of being in love (Love Is A Wild Thing), taking the high road (High Horse), counting your blessings and accepting happiness (Golden Hour)… It was impossible for me not to connect really, especially at this point of my life.

ReplyCopy URL
    HotNerdLover
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves – A-

Best Tracks: “Slow Burn”, “High Horse”, “Butterflies”, “Velvet Elvis”

“All I ever wanted was something classic,” Musgraves sings on “Velvet Elvis”, a standout track with the perfect blend of bounce, twang and sass. She achieves her aims gamely, imbuing her vocals, lyrics and production with an ethereal radiance akin to a Sunday afternoon on a porch sipping lemonade. Musgraves conveys a sense of contentment, and world-weariness, with lyrics that are expertly crafted to feel effortlessly perceptive. Her delivery is refreshingly pure, both confident and humble, like friend you haven’t seen in long time telling you all about what life has taught her thus far. This is one of the most sonically cohesive albums of the year, with each song feeling related yet distinct – the disco and synth flourishes are particularly effective at accentuating the unassuming feistiness of Musgraves. This is a perfect record for spring cleaning or a relaxing road trip as it lends itself assuredly to repeat listens. I must say I’m relieved that it lived up to the hype.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.