Home Forums Music 2019 Grammy Predictions (Part 11)

2019 Grammy Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,015 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
DC95
Boz
PoweR
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

With 8 slots, Bebe Rexha will certainly get in BNA.

Not sure what you guys are high on… many of the potential nominees don’t even have a single hit that’ll make it in year-end charts.

Not to mention, insiders knew about Bebe Rexha a while ago. Trying to paint her as unknown person is inaccurate. She wrote “Monster” and “Hey Mama”.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    RichardAniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Greta Van Fleet are NOT a lock for a nomination, let alone a win. Your predictions are usually off, so I don’t know why I waste my time.

LOL. I probably have higher accuracy in predicting nominations than most of the members of this forum.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s still really only known for Meant to Be. Carly Rae Jepsen and Lorde had follow-up hits and that didn’t mean anything.

Technically speaking, Bebe’s had more than just those 2 songs (in which case she shouldn’t even be eligible for Best New Artist if they’re going to disqualify Cardi B and Post Malone – but that’s a different discussion entirely), but I don’t think voters are going to see her as someone who’s in it for the long haul. Meant to Be feels like a fluke, not the start of a decades-long career.

Bebe is not comparable to those. She’s been featured on hits before, she just finally got that song of her own. I Got You still was somewhat of a minor hit, and her collabs with G Eazy and Martin Garrix were hits, as well as Hey Mama. I feel like she’ll either be snubbed from that category or she’ll win. She gives me Alessia vibes.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Bebe is not comparable to those. She’s been featured on hits before, she just finally got that song of her own. I Got You still was somewhat of a minor hit, and her collabs with G Eazy and Martin Garrix were hits, as well as Hey Mama. I feel like she’ll either be snubbed from that category or she’ll win. She gives me Alessia vibes.

Isn’t it telling that all of her past hits were snubbed? That suggests she wouldn’t have the momentum to win if she got nominated.

I’m also not seeing the Alessia Cara comparison. Alessia’s angle was that she was the ingenue who made “real” music about “real” topics, and she had the no-image image (ie, ‘it’s only about the music’). She also had multiple smash hits last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Frida Martha
    Participant
    Topics:

“SHALLOW” for Best Song. Totally .

ReplyCopy URL
    Hiroshi899
    Participant
    Topics:

I personally only see Shallow getting in Visual Media tbh. The song is similar to Natural by imagine dragons. Strong digital sales but streaming and radio play are nothing to write home about.  Shallow is sizable hit but not big enough to get a nom in Pop Duo or general field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Shallow isn’t a lock for anything except Best Visual Media. It could easily be snubbed in the other categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

My Record of the Year predictions are:
    Childish Gambino, “This Is America”
    Drake, “God’s Plan”
    Janelle Monáe, “Make Me Feel”
    Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line, “Meant to Be”
    Maroon 5 & Cardi B, “Girls Like You”
    Post Malone & Ty Dolla $ign, “Rockstar”
    Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin, “I Like It”
    Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé, “Perfect Duet”

ReplyCopy URL
    Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

BNA sucks.. 2017’s lineup was way better

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think voters are going to see her as someone who’s in it for the long haul. Meant to Be feels like a fluke, not the start of a decades-long career.

If the Grammys were good at predicting decades-long career, they wouldn’t have given the award to some artists that flopped off soon after their wins. Alessia Cara doesn’t seem like she will do much in the long run either.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

BUT giving Bebe Rexha the win for BNA would be tragic. C’mon, y’all. There are way better options than her and Greta Van Fleet. The category is not that weak.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I personally only see Shallow getting in Visual Media tbh. The song is similar to Natural by imagine dragons. Strong digital sales but streaming and radio play are nothing to write home about. Shallow is sizable hit but not big enough to get a nom in Pop Duo or general field.

It’s much bigger than MR lol (which got in Pop Solo, over LWYMMD, Too Good At GoodByes and Sorry Not Sorry). Also streaming wise it peaked at #5 on Global Charts and is still in the TOP50.

Radios won’t play a song recorded live like that. It’s #24 on pop radio and #10 on HAC. But I don’t expect it to go much higher. It’s just not radio friendly and it’s a live version. So yeah no one is expecting it to be a radio hit.

Also I wouldn’t compare it to Natural’s level of sales. Natural moved 33k copies in its peak week (release week), Shallow moved around 100k, and kept moving around 80k in the following weeks.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

If the Grammys were good at predicting decades-long career, they wouldn’t have given the award to some artists that flopped off soon after their wins. Alessia Cara doesn’t seem like she will do much in the long run either.

Obviously they get it wrong, but I think they at least like to try to give it to people who seem like they’ll be around for awhile.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not buying Janelle or Post for ROTY. I feel like y’all are overpredicting both of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Rockstar’ was a monster hit, and one of the biggest hits of this eligibility period. Seeing it pop up in ROTY is not impossible.

Janelle on the other hand probably won’t even make the top 20.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.