Home Forums Music 2019 Grammy Predictions (PART 3)

2019 Grammy Predictions (PART 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,056 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Os
MiguelTwentyF..
DC95
  • nevermore
    Participant
    Topics:

He can only submit one version.

Also, I don’t know why people act like Perfect wasn’t already in the top 3 when the duet was released. Yes, Beyonce helped him get to #1 but he was getting there with or without her anyways.

The more logical choice would be submit Perfect Duet, since it has Beyonce and was the first of the two versions two reach #1. Submitting Live versions doesn’t always work.

Perfect has never left iTunes UK and US charts after its release. It was already rising. In my opinion, the duet version only helped it top the chart “faster.” Without Beyonce, the song’s topping would take a few more weeks, but it would eventually top the charts and become a hit. Unlike Beyonce’s fans claimed, Ed doesn’t need Beyonce’s help to have #1 song. Actually, Beyonce needs his help to have a hit, just like Eminem.

His team must have planned to submit Shape of You for 2018’s ceremony, Perfect for 2019’s ceremony. His chances to win Pop Duo/Group is better than winning Pop Solo consecutively. He’s not Adele at all. I expect his team going with the duet version.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Kanye West has just got his lowest Maetacritic score with 65, based on 31 critics, for Ye.

Do you think it will affect his chances to get a Best Rap Album nomination for his own solo project?

With the new Rap screening committee, maybe. I can see him getting in for Kids See Ghosts, as that is much more critically acclaimed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, plenty of one-hit wonders have been nominated for Best New Artist. Not sure what your point is. Best New Artist is a complete shitfest. Ella Mai is a contender.

Nope. In the last 5 years there have been only 3.
    Bastille (Pompeii)
    James Bay (Let It Go)
    And Julia Michaels (Issues)

and even then, James Bay’s hit was after the Grammy nomination, and Julia Michaels probably got in due to the lack of stronger competition, plus industry support.

Even if you look since 2010, there have only been 4 more: The Lumineers, Frank Ocean (who had a critically beloved album), Florence + the Machine (who also had a critically beloved album) and MGMT (see Frank Ocean).

So basically the 7 one hit wonders in the last 8 years to get into the category have, for the most part, critical acclaim. Only real exception is Julia and The Lumineers. One hit wonders either get snubbed or nominated in SOTY/ROTY and (Logic, Hozier, Lukas Graham, Carly Rae Jepsen…)

Ella Mai is just not a very commanding presence. SZA & Khalid were nominated last year because they had both critical and commercial success, but no critic is talking about Boo’d Up, and I haven’t even heard it on the radio.

Wtf is your definition of “one-hit wonder?” Should be an artist who is literally only famous for 1 song like Daniel Powter or Baha Men… you can immediately think of the songs I’m referencing, can’t you?

Florence? Frank Ocean? Carly Rae Jepsen? Most of the artists you mentioned don’t apply at all. Let’s not measure careers solely by chart success.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Blocked
    Topics:

Honey, with the new rap panel and his crazy antics, Kanye West will probably be overlooked in Best Rap Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

He can only submit one version.

Also, I don’t know why people act like Perfect wasn’t already in the top 3 when the duet was released. Yes, Beyonce helped him get to #1 but he was getting there with or without her anyways.

The more logical choice would be submit Perfect Duet, since it has Beyonce and was the first of the two versions two reach #1. Submitting Live versions doesn’t always work.

Perfect has never left iTunes UK and US charts after its release. It was already rising. In my opinion, the duet version only helped it top the chart “faster.” Without Beyonce, the song’s topping would take a few more weeks, but it would eventually top the charts and become a hit. Unlike Beyonce’s fans claimed, Ed doesn’t need Beyonce’s help to have #1 song. Actually, Beyonce needs his help to have a hit, just like Eminem.

His team must have planned to submit Shape of You for 2018’s ceremony, Perfect for 2019’s ceremony. His chances to win Pop Duo/Group is better than winning Pop Solo consecutively. He’s not Adele at all. I expect his team going with the duet version.

Just because he’s not Adele doesn’t mean he would have a hard time winning Pop Solo consecutively. Perfect is far and away the biggest hit solo pop single of the year, there are similarly-sized hits competing in Pop Duo/Group.

But back to the “not Adele” point: he’s more liked by Grammy voters than his number of wins suggests, which is why many people were predicting him to sweep the big three before the nominations came out.

ReplyCopy URL
    MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

Kanye West has just got his lowest Maetacritic score with 65, based on 31 critics, for Ye.

Do you think it will affect his chances to get a Best Rap Album nomination for his own solo project?

He won’t get nominated in next year’s Grammys because he got snubbed in the 59th Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

Ella Mai will probably get at least one nomination in the R&B field. Best New Artist may be a stretch, but let’s see about that in a few months. But it is a known fact that the Grammys have a soft spot for female solo artists, especially British exports.

I feel that Boo’d Up will be relegated to R&B categories because the General Field is already packed with many potential songs like This Is America, Delicate, Nice For What, No Tears Left To Cry, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    LeQuan
    Participant
    Topics:

Delicate won’t be in the General field though. So, there’s that.

ReplyCopy URL
    MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

Delicate won’t be in the General field though. So, there’s that.

Delicate can likely be a good fit for SOTY, but not ROTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    LeQuan
    Participant
    Topics:

“likely” & “good fit” you are absolutely right, but it won’t be in the general field. I also don’t think Boo’d Up will tbh, though i love the song.

ReplyCopy URL
    appleseedjohnny
    Participant
    Topics:

Any rap song/sung/Performance predictions?

ReplyCopy URL
    LeQuan
    Participant
    Topics:

Rap Song.. i see J Cole- Motivate or KOD… Cardi B- Be Careful… Drake- Nice For What… Childish Gambino- This Is America.. Kids See Ghosts- 4th Dimension or Reborn… your thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    Os
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, plenty of one-hit wonders have been nominated for Best New Artist. Not sure what your point is. Best New Artist is a complete shitfest. Ella Mai is a contender.

Nope. In the last 5 years there have been only 3.
    Bastille (Pompeii)
    James Bay (Let It Go)
    And Julia Michaels (Issues)

and even then, James Bay’s hit was after the Grammy nomination, and Julia Michaels probably got in due to the lack of stronger competition, plus industry support.

Even if you look since 2010, there have only been 4 more: The Lumineers, Frank Ocean (who had a critically beloved album), Florence + the Machine (who also had a critically beloved album) and MGMT (see Frank Ocean).

So basically the 7 one hit wonders in the last 8 years to get into the category have, for the most part, critical acclaim. Only real exception is Julia and The Lumineers. One hit wonders either get snubbed or nominated in SOTY/ROTY and (Logic, Hozier, Lukas Graham, Carly Rae Jepsen…)

Ella Mai is just not a very commanding presence. SZA & Khalid were nominated last year because they had both critical and commercial success, but no critic is talking about Boo’d Up, and I haven’t even heard it on the radio.

Wtf is your definition of “one-hit wonder?” Should be an artist who is literally only famous for 1 song like Daniel Powter or Baha Men… you can immediately think of the songs I’m referencing, can’t you?

Florence? Frank Ocean? Carly Rae Jepsen? Most of the artists you mentioned don’t apply at all. Let’s not measure careers solely by chart success.

The artists I mentioned only had 1 hit prior to their nomination. Even then, outside of the indie crowd, Florence is mostly known (at least in America) for Dog Days are Over and maybe Shake It Out if you’re into that kind of rock.
    Frank, again, was more popular critically than singleswise. He’s not a single’s artist, but before his nomination he only had 1 hit (Thinkin Bout You). And Carly Rae Jepsen only had Call Me Maybe and Good Time, the latter which came after her nomination.

Hell, even if we use your logic, then artists like Iggy Azalea, who had 3 top 10 hits that year, would be “one hit wonders” for the general public. Specially since most of these artists one had one succesful era in America. Bastille hasn’t charted anything since Pompeii, Iggy has charted like 2 songs after The New Classic and both flopped. Carly Rae has since I Really Like You without entering, and that entered solely on the video’s buzz.

Most BNA nominees are critically acclaimed. I would say it’s even easier for not-so-popular critically acclaimed artists to get into BNA than for one hit wonders (see Courtney Barnett, Anderson.Paak, HAIM, Brandy Clark, Alabama Shakes, James Blake…the list goes on)

Ella Mai could get into BNA. But she’s not a “lock”. I would put money on Post Malone entering before her. It’s not like Lil Uzi Vert didn’t get in last year.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Os.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Os.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Os
    Participant
    Topics:

Any rap song/sung/Performance predictions?

All The Stars is definitely a frontrunner for Rap Sung and Rap Song, as well as This is America.
    Rap Performace could see more mainstream artists like Cardi B for I Like It, or Migos for Stir Fry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Blocked
    Topics:

Honey, in a “Perfect” world (pun intended), Ed Sheeran will be snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,056 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.