Home Forums Music 2019 Grammy Predictions (PART 3)

2019 Grammy Predictions (PART 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 1,054 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +46 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oscar Rodrigues
MaxTwentyFive
D.C.
  • D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

Can someone explain to me what is good about “The Middle?” Besides being a bigger hit, I don’t see how it is much different from “Stay” or “Starving.” A good bet for Pop Duo/Group, but I don’t see why it would be the first EDM song by a DJ to make it in the General Field.

Aside from the fact that it’s stronger lyrically than the other two songs, Maren Morris also delivers a stellar vocal performance. And as you said, it’s a much bigger hit than the other two songs, and it’s a weak year. It’s also worth noting that in a year dominated by rap, The Middle is easily one of the biggest pop songs. The nomination review committee strives for genre balance which makes an all-rap ROTY or SOTY unlikely.

I don’t think it’s a lock, but it’s one to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

Supposedly Perfect is ineligible (even though, I think it is…it wasn’t submitted last year, and as far as I know, the rule only states that he can’t submit it into the Pop categories, not the general field.) Even if it is eligible, it’s so fucking corny. I hope it doesn’t get in.

The original version of Perfect is ineligible in all categories because it’s from an album that has won a Grammy. Any versions of Perfect are also ineligible in songwriting categories such as SOTY for the same reason.

Any alternate recordings, like the acoustic version or Beyoncé duet, are eligible in any non-songwriting categories, including ROTY. The music video is also eligible in Best Music Video.

That’s what I heard, but I can’t seem to find that info anywhere in the Grammy.com website, or anywhere really.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure about Drake being nominated in AOTY.

With ‘Views’ he didn’t show up for the ceremony and then said he didn’t want the award for ‘Hotline Bling’ because it’s not a rap song.
    For ‘More Life’ he didn’t even submit.

So, I’m not sure if this time he’ll submit and even if he does I don’t know if the Grammys would nominate him for AOTY as now they probably don’t have much love for Drake and there’s no pressure for a nomination (no one will care if he doesn’t get the nod for AOTY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Kadeem Lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year predictions.. so far:

Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
    Various Artists – The Greatest Showman OST
    Drake – Scorpion *
    Dave Matthews Band – Come Tomorrow
    Kendrick Lamar – Black Panther OST

* • to be released

Record of the Year:

Perfect Duet – Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé
    I Like It – Cardi B f/ J Balvin & Bad Bunny
    Say Something – Justin Timberlake/Chris Stapleton
    This Is America – Childish Gambino
    Meant to Be – Bebe Rexha f/FGL

Song of the Year:

1950 – King Princess
    Meant to Be – Bebe Rexha/FGL
    Psycho – Post Malone f/Ty Dolla $ign
    Call Out My Name – The Weeknd
    This Is America – Childish Gambino

Best New Artist:

Post Malone
    Kane Brown
    Bebe Rexha
    Dua Lipa
    Troye Sivan

Pop Solo:

no tears left to cry • Ariana Grande
    In My Blood • Shawn Mendes
    Growing Pains • Alessia Cara
    1950 • King Princess
    Call Out My Name • The Weeknd

Pop Duo/Group

Say Something • JT/Chris Stapleton
    Perfect Duet • Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé
    Fall In Line • Xtina f/ Demi Lovato
    The Middle • Zedd, Grey, Maren Morris
    Meant to Be • Bebe Rexha, Florida Georgia Line

Pop Album:

Thrill Of it All
    Sweetener*
    Beautiful Trauma

This was actually super hard to compile. For the first time in a long time I could barely find 5 songs to enter into Pop solo that seemed ok/worthy…

Outside of Best New Artist I’m not confident in the Big 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Black Panther soundtrack for AOTY, when The Greatest Showman is the soundtrack that has been serving longevity and it’s the highest selling album of 2018 in the US, UK and worldwide? None of them are getting nominated though, but if there’s one slot, it’s for TGS in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

LMFAOOOO HDD retracted those predictions for Everything is Love. Jay Z saw those predictions and gone have Tidal come through.

But seriously, I looked at those numbers and they didn’t make sense, at least not the pure ones. They’ve been #1 and #6 for a day, above 5SOS and been #1 in multiple countries and they only do 77k for the whole 4 days? That didn’t seem right.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

I think AOTY will be like that:
    Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves
    Everything is Love – The Carters
    Dirty Computer – Janelle Monae
    Reputation – Taylor Swift
    One open spot for an album yet to be released or someone we don’t expect (such as Sturgill Simpson in 2017). Or maybe Black Panther.

I want Swift to be relegated for the pop field, but that’s unlikely. One possibility is a nomination for one more pop album to split votes with Reputation.

And as I said, I think Drake is out. Maybe a nomination for Cardi? I don’t think so, but who knows.

And really, Beyoncé and JayZ will be there, maybe not because of their work, but because of their names, because people always want them to be there, because Beyonce is nominated for whatever she does or maybe the voters (differently from us here) can really feel the concept, really enjoy it. I don’t think the sales impact that much in this case specially.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Tidal coming through.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Tidal coming through.

I screamed when I saw that it was erased. But the gag is HDD doesn’t include Tidal cause they don’t reveal their numbers until the end of the week.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Bee.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Shivam Nainwal
    Participant
    Topics:

I think AOTY will be like that: Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves Everything is Love – The Carters Dirty Computer – Janelle Monae Reputation – Taylor Swift One open spot for an album yet to be released or someone we don’t expect (such as Sturgill Simpson in 2017). Or maybe Black Panther. I want Swift to be relegated for the pop field, but that’s unlikely. One possibility is a nomination for one more pop album to split votes with Reputation. And as I said, I think Drake is out. Maybe a nomination for Cardi? I don’t think so, but who knows. And really, Beyoncé and JayZ will be there, maybe not because of their work, but because of their names, because people always want them to be there, because Beyonce is nominated for whatever she does or maybe the voters (differently from us here) can really feel the concept, really enjoy it. I don’t think the sales impact that much in this case specially.

This is actually the list that I agree to the most. I mean, as much as we’d all want Swift to be relegated to the Pop Field, seeing no pop albums out with as much relevance as reputation, I just don’t see how any album could be chosen over it. And as far as splitting the votes is concerned, we all know that Swift at least has the support to make it to the Top 20, for the BRP to nominate her. The question just renains, if a pop album HAS to be nominated, then what is even the other choice? Agreed, reputation wasn’t an above average project but there’s just no other choice, you might say Sweetener but if I know anything about the BRP, there’s no way in hell they are going to pick Ariana over Taylor and as sad as it might be, that remains to be a hard hitting truth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Shivam Nainwal
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year predictions.. so far: Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour Various Artists – The Greatest Showman OST Drake – Scorpion * Dave Matthews Band – Come Tomorrow Kendrick Lamar – Black Panther OST * • to be released Record of the Year: Perfect Duet – Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé I Like It – Cardi B f/ J Balvin & Bad Bunny Say Something – Justin Timberlake/Chris Stapleton This Is America – Childish Gambino Meant to Be – Bebe Rexha f/FGL Song of the Year: 1950 – King Princess Meant to Be – Bebe Rexha/FGL Psycho – Post Malone f/Ty Dolla $ign Call Out My Name – The Weeknd This Is America – Childish Gambino Best New Artist: Post Malone Kane Brown Bebe Rexha Dua Lipa Troye Sivan Pop Solo: no tears left to cry • Ariana Grande In My Blood • Shawn Mendes Growing Pains • Alessia Cara 1950 • King Princess Call Out My Name • The Weeknd Pop Duo/Group Say Something • JT/Chris Stapleton Perfect Duet • Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé Fall In Line • Xtina f/ Demi Lovato The Middle • Zedd, Grey, Maren Morris Meant to Be • Bebe Rexha, Florida Georgia Line Pop Album: reputation Man of the Woods Thrill Of it All Sweetener* Beautiful Trauma This was actually super hard to compile. For the first time in a long time I could barely find 5 songs to enter into Pop solo that seemed ok/worthy… Outside of Best New Artist I’m not confident in the Big 3.

No way in hell a pop album does not make AOTY and TWO SOUNDTRACKS make it. Lol

AGAIN! No friggin way, 2 country songs make it to ROTY, Say Something isn’t a hit like the songs usually get nominated for the ROTY are. Meant to Be has FGL.

SOTY- Call Out My Name does not have lyrics that usually please the Academy neither does it scream a songwriting award. Also, what are you actually thinking? How the fuck does someone like King Princess get a nomination in the fucking General Field? That song must be your personal favourite but boy is it not happening. And Psycho has repetitive unimpressive lyrics, so, even that’s not gonna happen.

Troye Sivan seems to be ineligible for the BNA.

And why will the Weeknd submit Call Out My Name in the Pop Solo Category?

This list is just a mess and a selection of your favourites, according to me. Think from an analytical pov, and maybe, then you’ll realise that most of the predictions you’ve made have no chance in hell of making it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

No shade but who is King Princess?

ReplyCopy URL
    Kadeem Lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year predictions.. so far: Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour Various Artists – The Greatest Showman OST Drake – Scorpion * Dave Matthews Band – Come Tomorrow Kendrick Lamar – Black Panther OST * • to be released Record of the Year: Perfect Duet – Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé I Like It – Cardi B f/ J Balvin & Bad Bunny Say Something – Justin Timberlake/Chris Stapleton This Is America – Childish Gambino Meant to Be – Bebe Rexha f/FGL Song of the Year: 1950 – King Princess Meant to Be – Bebe Rexha/FGL Psycho – Post Malone f/Ty Dolla $ign Call Out My Name – The Weeknd This Is America – Childish Gambino Best New Artist: Post Malone Kane Brown Bebe Rexha Dua Lipa Troye Sivan Pop Solo: no tears left to cry • Ariana Grande In My Blood • Shawn Mendes Growing Pains • Alessia Cara 1950 • King Princess Call Out My Name • The Weeknd Pop Duo/Group Say Something • JT/Chris Stapleton Perfect Duet • Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé Fall In Line • Xtina f/ Demi Lovato The Middle • Zedd, Grey, Maren Morris Meant to Be • Bebe Rexha, Florida Georgia Line Pop Album: reputation Man of the Woods Thrill Of it All Sweetener* Beautiful Trauma This was actually super hard to compile. For the first time in a long time I could barely find 5 songs to enter into Pop solo that seemed ok/worthy… Outside of Best New Artist I’m not confident in the Big 3.

No way in hell a pop album does not make AOTY and TWO SOUNDTRACKS make it. Lol

AGAIN! No friggin way, 2 country songs make it to ROTY, Say Something isn’t a hit like the songs usually get nominated for the ROTY are. Meant to Be has FGL.

SOTY- Call Out My Name does not have lyrics that usually please the Academy neither does it scream a songwriting award. Also, what are you actually thinking? How the fuck does someone like King Princess get a nomination in the fucking General Field? That song must be your personal favourite but boy is it not happening. And Psycho has repetitive unimpressive lyrics, so, even that’s not gonna happen.

Troye Sivan seems to be ineligible for the BNA.

And why will the Weeknd submit Call Out My Name in the Pop Solo Category?

This list is just a mess and a selection of your favourites, according to me. Think from an analytical pov, and maybe, then you’ll realise that most of the predictions you’ve made have no chance in hell of making it.

Have you seen last years Song of the Year lineup? Nobody predicted any of the songs to be in the lineup besides logic and Despacito. Plus I already said that the list isn’t definitive. King Princess is a personal favorite so yes I added it because I think she might have a Lorde breakout type hit with Royals.

No Pop Vocal album contender made the AOTY lineup this year. I did put … so far. It’s easy to predict Taylor in AOTY since she’s likely to be there but I’m not gonna predict here just because!

The Weeknd has submitted to Pop plenty of times before. This wouldn’t be uncommon especially since he has a bigger hit “Pray for Me” that he can submit to R&B and Rap .

Meant to Be is as Country as Say Something. But they lean more pop. Nevertheless they won’t win. Chris stapleton is a Grammy favorite. And this was his first top 10 single.. a general field nomination for him isn’t far fetched with a high profile collaboration.

Psycho will get in Song of the Year if we were to go by songs released from october till June. If you looked at the SOTY category for the last 8 years you would see that at least 3 of the 5 or 6 contenders peaked at #1 or #2 on the hot 100 and the winner is usually a top 2 song. Psycho This Is America, Nice for what, Gods Plan and Meant to Be are the only top 2 songs that would qualify if we were to go by that.. and as far as lyrics goes it’s far better than most songs that made the lineup in the category.

Pop Solo is trash.. but Pop has been trash all year. Idk why you’re getting so upset over a prediction.. but I have to laugh. Kiiiiiiiiiiii fuck off. – management.

ReplyCopy URL
    D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

Supposedly Perfect is ineligible (even though, I think it is…it wasn’t submitted last year, and as far as I know, the rule only states that he can’t submit it into the Pop categories, not the general field.) Even if it is eligible, it’s so fucking corny. I hope it doesn’t get in.

The original version of Perfect is ineligible in all categories because it’s from an album that has won a Grammy. Any versions of Perfect are also ineligible in songwriting categories such as SOTY for the same reason.

Any alternate recordings, like the acoustic version or Beyoncé duet, are eligible in any non-songwriting categories, including ROTY. The music video is also eligible in Best Music Video.

That’s what I heard, but I can’t seem to find that info anywhere in the Grammy.com website, or anywhere really.

The Grammys aren’t known for being transparent with their rules, but trust me on that

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know what the fuck is The Light is Coming supposed to be but it’s not anything I can see doing well in radio. It sounds like a pop version of Lemon.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 1,054 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.