Home Forums Music 2019 Grammy Predictions (Part 7)

2019 Grammy Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,011 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Gucci
Darren
  • Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Who just said in that other thread that race was not a factor in the winners? It had to be a Swiftie.

Babel beating Channel Orange ALONE (and I don’t even like Frank Ocean like that in itself) was sheer proof. It is completely naive to not only believe that race is never a factor but also that the voters truly vote on integrity and excellence.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Blocked
    Topics:

The fact that Taylor Swift won Album of the Year twice this decade is repulsive. Voters were like, “Hey Kendrick Lamar, we gave you five fucking wins in Rap and Music Video because we’ll never honor your amazing work in the General Field.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

Of course race is a factor– as it is with everything in our racist society!

That being said, I did not realize Dave Matthews Band had such a strong debut/sales in the context of the year. They could be a safe sleeper pick to win.

However, I still expect the winner to be a woman and I think a lot of people are doubting the crossover appeal Kacey Musgraves has achieved with this record.

Taylor Swift is not winning and doesn’t even deserve to be nominated. I’m still not convinced Ariana Grande will make it into AOTY, but I personally think she is the only worthy nominee from the pop field next to Kelly Clarkson (who also just killed it at the U.S. Open).

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

I need new Rihanna or solo Beyoncé STAT. Seriously, either of them could win this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Blocked
    Topics:

I would hurl if Dave Matthews Band or Kacey Musgraves won AOTY. I’m tired of a bunch of white people winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I think we might be understimating Cardi. I know hip.hop doesn’t win that often, but she checks all the boxes for a AOTY win. Plus, that would solidify her status as the mew Queen of Rap (Sorry Nicki).

ReplyCopy URL
    brokehomeboy
    Participant
    Topics:

What do y’all think are the chances 5sos or bts would get nominated? It seems like the grammys don’t care for boy bands or groups tho

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

What do y’all think are the chances 5sos or bts would get nominated? It seems like the grammys don’t care for boy bands or groups tho

BTS has 0 chance.

5SOS has a “better” chance this year than previous, since they really aren’t more of a boyband than FOB at this point, and Youngblood is their biggest hit to date. I would personally love to see it in Pop Duo (since it has kind of a new wave vibe, like Portugal The Man’s stuff), but that ain’t happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mercury
    Participant
    Topics:

Please learn from 1D and realise that no boybands no matter how “serious” will get nominated. If Sign of the Times, Slow Hands and Pillowtalk couldn’t get nominated there is no way in hell 5SOS will be.

Wrt BTS, there is no Grammy for Fan Army of the Year or Boy Band of the Year. People were predicting them for BNA last year, it was crazy then and it’s crazy now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mercury
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m thinking R&B and hip hop will have their year finally this year. There are a lot of similar young female R&B artists who could be up for Best New Artist. Who do you think is most/least likely of these?

Chloe x Halle
    Jorja Smith
    H.E.R.
    Kelela
    Ella Mai
    Kali Uchis

ReplyCopy URL
    Mercury
    Participant
    Topics:

I need new Rihanna or solo Beyoncé STAT. Seriously, either of them could win this year.

What Bey should do is release her Coachella performance as a film so she could win Best Music Film and not go home empty handed losing every category for EIL :/

ReplyCopy URL
    brokehomeboy
    Participant
    Topics:

who are y’all thinking for best new artist anyway, i got

Cardi B (prob a winner)

Marshmello

Jorja Smith (?)

Chloe x Halle (?)

Bazzi

Post Malone

Ella Mai

Anne Marie

ReplyCopy URL
    Mercury
    Participant
    Topics:

who are y’all thinking for best new artist anyway, i got Cardi B (prob a winner) Marshmello Jorja Smith (?) Chloe x Halle (?) Bazzi Post Malone Ella Mai Anne Marie

No to Anne Marie and Marshmello. No name recognition for either of them. Dua Lipa is a more likely UK pop star than Anne Marie. I don’t think she’ll be up either though. I’d also replace Jorja with H.E.R.

Cardi
    Ella Mai
    Chloe x Halle
    H.E.R.
    SOPHIE
    Greta Van Fleet

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Who just said in that other thread that race was not a factor in the winners? It had to be a Swiftie.

Babel beating Channel Orange ALONE (and I don’t even like Frank Ocean like that in itself) was sheer proof. It is completely naive to not only believe that race is never a factor but also that the voters truly vote on integrity and excellence.

I don’t think that had to do with race. At the time Mumford & Sons won AOTY, they were at the peak of their career. There was a huge M&S phase at the time and it was right in the middle of that. And they were, of course, the clear commercial favorite.

I think Frank Ocean had the least or second-least popular album nominated that year.

Lorde lost AOTY this year in a similar scenario (similar commercial performance + critical acclaim) and she’s white.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Dua Lipa will get into BNA on the strength of “New Rules”.

I have the following:
    Cardi B
    Dua Lipa
    H.E.R.
    Kane Brown
    BTS
    Jorja Smith
    Chloe x Halle
    SOPHIE

This year is a hard year to predict for BNA. I think Cardi B is still eligible. She didn’t win her nominations and still on album #1. It’s the same rule that benefited other artists. It would be dumb and unfortunate for her to be ineligible in a year where she made the most impact out of all new artists. A Lady Gaga tea.

This year is also a big year for R&B/Soul females. You have Ella Mai, H.E.R., Kelela, Sabrina Claudio, Chloe x Halle, Jorja Smith and a slew of others. This will boil down to who has the most acclaim and backing. I think H.E.R. will get in in SZA-type way. She’s not as successful, but she had two R&B hits and has done really well on streaming. Jorja Smith could be snubbed, but this BRIT Critics Choice winners tend to do well here, and her album is acclaimed. Ella Mai will be snubbed because she’s known as the “Boo’d Up” girl. She will get her due in the R&B field, tho. Chloe x Halle will go either way. If they don’t get a BNA nomination, they will be nominated for Urban Contemporary Album, like KING. They have Beyoncé to back them. I don’t think Sabrina Claudio or Kelela made enough impact or have enough industry support to be nominated.

BTS will add the racial diversity, not to mention they will stop this from being an all-female lineup (with Kane Brown). I threw SOPHIE in there because so many people have been mentioning her. I don’t know much about her.

If Post Malone is eligible, he could get in, but I also think by him not being very acclaimed will stop him from being recognized.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.