Home Forums Music 2020 (62nd) Grammy predictions for the "unpopular" categories

2020 (62nd) Grammy predictions for the "unpopular" categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
21 hours ago
replies
views
users
JennyLewisFan
theexterminator
cheyenne lee
  • JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is going to be one of those empty threads, but feel free to leave your predictions for the less popular categories in this thread.

Note: Discussions about the popular categories – General Field, Pop, R&B and Rap – wouldn’t be appreciated here.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I guess I’ll start

The Latin categories are going to be interesting this year.

Best friends and touring buddies Bad Bunny and J Balvin will be competing against each other – Bunny with X100PRE, and Balvin with a collab album they have together, OASIS. Both were huge so both could get in. And, if ROSALIA submits to that same category (Best Latin Urban or Alternative Album), they’ll be 3 of the biggest names this year there.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I guess I’ll start The Latin categories are going to be interesting this year. Best friends and touring buddies Bad Bunny and J Balvin will be competing against each other – Bunny with X100PRE, and Balvin with a collab album they have together, OASIS. Both were huge so both could get in. And, if ROSALIA submits to that same category (Best Latin Urban or Alternative Album), they’ll be 3 of the biggest names this year there.

I’d be quick to agree too, but then again, there’s been a history of unpopular acts getting nominated in this field. I assume this is because three genres are being merged. Nevertheless, OASIS does stand a chance.

The Latin Pop Album category, however, can boast of nominating and awarding more popular acts like Shakira. OASIS being considered for Pop would be the proper definition of a stretch, so, I hope it gets put into the aforementioned category.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Is Slipknot’s “Unsainted” in the Metal Performance category a certainty?</p>

ReplyCopy URL
    theexterminator
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Is Slipknot’s “Unsainted” in the Metal Performance category a certainty?</p>

Sure. But they won’t win. Tool are the frontrunners.

ReplyCopy URL
    theexterminator
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be great to see Queen winning compilation soundtrack for Bohemian Rhapsody. They never won a Grammy.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be great to see Queen winning compilation soundtrack for Bohemian Rhapsody. They never won a Grammy.

I thought it wasn’t eligible because it’s not original music? Or am I just making that up?

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought it wasn’t eligible because it’s not original music? Or am I just making that up?

I think it’s eligible, but I don’t believe Queen would win a Grammy if the album wins because the music isn’t new. I think only the Executive Producers would win. I could be wrong. Pretty sure when the RAY soundtrack won Ray Charles didn’t and same with The Beatles and their LOVE show soundtrack.

ReplyCopy URL
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s eligible, but I don’t believe Queen would win a Grammy if the album wins because the music isn’t new. I think only the Executive Producers would win. I could be wrong. Pretty sure when the RAY soundtrack won Ray Charles didn’t and same with The Beatles and their LOVE show soundtrack.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Compilation_Soundtrack_for_Visual_Media :

“The award is presented to the artist or artists of a majority of tracks and/or the producer or producers of a majority of tracks on the album. In the absence of either, then the award goes to the individual(s) actively responsible for the musical direction of the album.[1] Music supervisors will become eligible in this category starting in 2019.[2]”

However there’s a note:
    ” While the Beatles were the artists of a majority of the tracks on the album, because the recordings were all previously released they were ineligible for the award. Only George & Giles Martin and Paul Hicks were awarded Grammys for their work on the album.”

However Brian May and Roger Taylor were the producers for the soundtrack so they’ll receive as such in case of a victory. But reminding ASIB is the frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Bohemian Rhapsody isn’t eligible because of a rule change made a couple of years ago. Music biopic and documentary soundtracks now have to have 51% or more of new recordings. Otherwise I think it would have been the one to beat this year.

Here’s the link, I was on mobile earlier:
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-grammys-rules-20170612-story.html

Finally, the rules governing nominations in compilation soundtrack for visual media have been changed to require albums for a documentary or biopic to contain at least 51% newly recorded music.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Darren.
    ReplyCopy URL
    jadenpb
    Participant
    Topics:

Mariah Carey for Producer of the Year, Non-Classical…

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking forward for Best Spoken Word Album. Three recordings would already make fantastic winner.

Michelle Obama – Becoming
    Selina Meyer – A Woman First: First Woman: A Memoir
    Elisabeth Moss — The Handmaid’s Tale

ReplyCopy URL
    theexterminator
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t understand why Posty didn’t release “Take what you want” before the deadline. That song could be nominated for best rock performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking forward for Best Spoken Word Album. Three recordings would already make fantastic winner. Michelle Obama – Becoming Selina Meyer – A Woman First: First Woman: A Memoir Elisabeth Moss — The Handmaid’s Tale

Does the The Handmaid’s Tale count in the Spoken Word category? I doubt they’d stretch out their mercies that much. It’s mostly audiobooks you’d find here. I can’t recall a move/TV narration ever being nominated. Correct me if I’m wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    theexterminator
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions for engineered album?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.